Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

Axis 102 kite foiling

Created by bigtone667 > 9 months ago, 14 May 2019
bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
14 May 2019 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

I picked up an AXIS 102 foil with ~70cm mast for SUP foiling. I am still very crap at SUP foiling.

I decided to attach the foil weapon of mass destruction to my Naish Hover 130 and give it a go with a Cloud kite.

Too say the Axis 102 foil is big, is an understatement. It is huge.

The red metal fuselage and mast are sexually attractive and heavy. The wings must be made with same bubbles in Aero Bar chocolate, ie no weight.

The wing is almost wider than board is long.

I throw the board and foil in the water and the foil floats. Floats really really well. Floats so well I am struggling to push the foil underwater for a bit of upwind body dragging to get away from shallows.

On the other hand, the float makes strapless starting super easy. No sinking foil!!!

Went out in 6 to 10 knots with a 17m Cloud on 32m lines.....

Dived the kite, pushed the foil down with a small amount of water speed and I am not sure the board touched the water. I was now standing completely upright and still. I had to push the beast forward a little and off it went.

The word slow and floaty comes to mind as I started foiling. Had to shuffle my weight forward a little and all was good from a balance point of view.

This thing tracked super well and goes upwind really well. Healside, toesside, all good. Gybing was great and using yaw in super slow turns was magnificent.

Staying up on the foil in 5 knots was no drama. 10 to 12 knots was typical cruising speed. Got a few surprising bursts of speed (15+ knots) as I hooked into downwind runs on the baby lake swell.

Most people on smaller foils will think this thing is a semi trailer. And it is. But I really enjoyed it being 100kg+. I can muscle the foil around without any surprising reactions from the foil. I had no issues carving around on it (long board feeling rather than surfboard) and it if you have any swell you can turn all the power in your kite off and glide.

Really looking forward to riding this thing in some surf swell.

DukeSilver
WA, 380 posts
14 May 2019 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds fun and relaxing to ride. I'd love to try a really big wing like that on a light wind day.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
15 May 2019 10:58AM
Thumbs Up

Fun eh. Teeny tiny kite too I bet?

I think with us big chaps and big wings it comes down to wing loading -- on a 1500cm2 wing my wing loading is still higher then a "regular" kiter on a 1000cm2 surf wing. I'm betting you on a 102 wing is the same feeling as a regular kiter on a 1200cm2 wing...

So wing loading would be a better metric for choosing a foil then width or area.

The thing with wider wings is poking wing tips out. I'm going to try my 90cm mast again...

The Axis SUP mast, plate and bolts weigh 2.1kg, which is the same as the Slingshot kite mast on its own. It's more rigid too apparently.

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
15 May 2019 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Best thing I have noticed with the big wing is no requirement to get the board planing before I come up on the wing.

I have had about 20 water starts in the last 35 km and I have not had to plane the board to get up. The wing just comes UP as soon as you swing through the water.

I am thinking of attaching a 2 to 3 foot piece of ply for giggles and giving it a crack.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
15 May 2019 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

Noticed that too, I wonder just how small a board I could get away with. Maybe start with a ply board and just keep cutting it down

Very very light wind can be tricky, though.

warwickl
NSW, 2197 posts
15 May 2019 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..
I picked up an AXIS 102 foil with ~70cm mast for SUP foiling. I am still very crap at SUP foiling.

I decided to attach the foil weapon of mass destruction to my Naish Hover 130 and give it a go with a Cloud kite.

The red metal fuselage and mast are sexually attractive and heavy. The wings must be made with same bubbles in Aero Bar chocolate, ie no weight.

I throw the board and foil in the water and the foil floats. Floats really really well. Floats so well I am struggling to push the foil underwater for a bit of upwind body dragging to get away from shallows.

On the other hand, the float makes strapless starting super easy. No sinking foil!!!

Dived the kite, pushed the foil down with a small amount of water speed and I am not sure the board touched the water. I was now standing completely upright and still. I had to push the beast forward a little and off it went.

The word slow and floaty comes to mind as I started foiling. Had to shuffle my weight forward a little and all was good from a balance point of view.

This thing tracked super well and goes upwind really well. Healside, toesside, all good. Gybing was great and using yaw in super slow turns was magnificent.

Staying up on the foil in 5 knots was no drama. 10 to 12 knots was typical cruising speed. Got a few surprising bursts of speed (15+ knots) as I hooked into downwind runs on the baby lake swell.

Most people on smaller foils will think this thing is a semi trailer. And it is. But I really enjoyed it being 100kg+. I can muscle the foil around without any surprising reactions from the foil. I had no issues carving around on it (long board feeling rather than surfboard) and it if you have any swell you can turn all the power in your kite off and glide.

Perfect foil for BT as he is a slow slow foiler, it's like watching him in slow motion

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
15 May 2019 6:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
warwickl said..

bigtone667 said..

Perfect foil for BT as he is a slow slow foiler, it's like watching him in slow motion

For a septuagenarian, you are quite agile.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
15 May 2019 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..

warwickl said..

bigtone667 said..

That's what you get when you shim

hilly
WA, 7276 posts
15 May 2019 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Kited the 102 wing. It is special. Prefer the 75 by a long shot. I am 105kg.

Leighbreeze
WA, 541 posts
18 May 2019 6:13AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..

warwickl said..

bigtone667 said..

Hey BT &Warrick
Another old heavy broken down lightwind foiler up here.
Hip & knee replacement looking like left knee coming up Osteo tooth ache 24/7....
Haven't got an axis 110
But had fun on this rig the other day.
Managed a few transitions both ways.
SS Infinity 84 ,10m Helium,6'0" x22"
Home made strapless.
Sup foiling on a 6'10" and Infinity 84
more practice needed.

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
18 May 2019 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Sadly our wind forecast at the moment is complete ****e.

So the Shimmed Wiz and I went SUP foiling. I broke my SUP foiling virginity today. Probably caught 15 odd waves, got back slapped hard a few times, but actually rode four waves with control.

The miracle has occurred.

Leighbreeze
WA, 541 posts
18 May 2019 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..
Sadly our wind forecast at the moment is complete ****e.

So the Shimmed Wiz and I went SUP foiling. I broke my SUP foiling virginity today. Probably caught 15 odd waves, got back slapped hard a few times, but actually rode four waves with control.

The miracle has occurred.

Hey legends,that's great.
Thats what's got to happen in the next few months.
Managed to christen my
LW Nexus 17m today SE 8-14 kts
Nomad LT Wave 150 x 44.5
Still buzzing.

Youngbreezy
WA, 978 posts
23 May 2019 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Hey bigtone

I will be getting a sup foiling setup together at some stage and I had been wondering about the possibility of using the really big wings for kiting as well.

One thing I had been thinking is that with a really wide wingspan as soon as you lay it over a decent amount in a turn the wing tips would pop out? How do you deal with this or how does this effect your riding?

I imagine with a really big wing having a bit of the wing breach would still be recoverable as you have so much lift to carry you but it seems like it wouldn't be ideal.

Do you think you need to ride the bigger wings a bit more flat?? Hard laid over carves are my favourite thing in foiling do you think this is a bit limited with the bigger wings?

Not just in reference to the big axis as I know you have experience with the big naish too.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
23 May 2019 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Youngbreezy said..
Hey bigtone

I will be getting a sup foiling setup together at some stage and I had been wondering about the possibility of using the really big wings for kiting as well.

One thing I had been thinking is that with a really wide wingspan as soon as you lay it over a decent amount in a turn the wing tips would pop out? How do you deal with this or how does this effect your riding?

I imagine with a really big wing having a bit of the wing breach would still be recoverable as you have so much lift to carry you but it seems like it wouldn't be ideal.

Do you think you need to ride the bigger wings a bit more flat?? Hard laid over carves are my favourite thing in foiling do you think this is a bit limited with the bigger wings?

Not just in reference to the big axis as I know you have experience with the big naish too.

Yes you do poke wingtips out more, if you don't keep the board closer to water or use a longer mast.

Price you pay for all the glide.

I'd like to try the Naish foil again too, see what low aspect wings are like.

eppo
WA, 9443 posts
23 May 2019 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Hey hilly reckon a 120kg could get away with the 75 wing ?

eppo
WA, 9443 posts
23 May 2019 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

Hey hilly would a 75 wing work for a 120kg guy ?

hilly
WA, 7276 posts
23 May 2019 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

hilly said..

Hey hilly would a 75 wing work for a 120kg guy ?

Yep. It is too much for me in any stronger gusts.

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
24 May 2019 3:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Youngbreezy said..
Hey bigtone

I have no issues riding a 1500cm2 wing (naish XL, Fanatic Aero 1500, Zeeko XL canard) with 70/75cm masts and carving reasonably hard on them without popping the wing.

Wing breaches seem to be less problematic for me now after a few years experience and improved listening (I usually hear it before it kills me).

i think the big Axis is probably too big, but I am really enjoying riding it in super low wind conditions or with a super small kite.

Once I am up, I only need a fraction of the power to glide along.

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
27 May 2019 3:23PM
Thumbs Up

7 knot average speed, no issues staying up around 5 or 6 knots..... long unpowered glides.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
27 May 2019 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

What gear?

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
28 May 2019 11:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..
What gear?

I was being stupid and using a 17m Cloud (wind was 6/7 knots when I started), Naish 120 Hover Board and AXIS 102.
Would have been fine on a 10.4m Cloud.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
28 May 2019 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..

Kamikuza said..
What gear?

I was being stupid and using a 17m Cloud (wind was 6/7 knots when I started), Naish 120 Hover Board and AXIS 102.

Were you trying for speed or just playing around? I've recorded 35kph on the 820...

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
28 May 2019 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

bigtone667 said..

Kamikuza said..
What gear?

Were you trying for speed or just playing around? I've recorded 35kph on the 820...

I was simply trying to get a session in, but the foil is SLOOOWWWW.

But I think 7/8 knots becomes a new fun wind range with the monster wing and tiny board.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
31 May 2019 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..

Kamikuza said..

bigtone667 said..

Kamikuza said..
What gear?

I was simply trying to get a session in, but the foil is SLOOOWWWW.

But I think 7/8 knots becomes a new fun wind range with the monster wing and tiny board.

The 920 was amusing too. Could coast at a silly slow speed and watch everyone zoom past ... this disappear downwind as you just kept on munching up the upwind miles.

820 is happy to cruise faster and when you get it going on a good swell, can get a boogie on too. Relatively speaking!

hairybear01
SA, 32 posts
25 Nov 2019 10:13AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone tried the new 900 wing for kite foiling? Supposed to be allot faster than regular shaped wings?

eppo
WA, 9443 posts
26 Nov 2019 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

yeh I've got one...okay on the flat. Way too much speed and lift when on a wave with a kite, for me anyway. Great on a prone or sup board though. keep the 680 for kiting, fav kite wing ever.

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
4 Dec 2019 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..
yeh I've got one...okay on the flat. Way too much speed and lift when on a wave with a kite, for me anyway. Great on a prone or sup board though. keep the 680 for kiting, fav kite wing ever.

had my first run on a 680 wing last night. First foil session in over a year and was riding a strapless board so took a few goes to get foiling but it all came back soon enough. A very nice ride IMO.

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
13 Dec 2019 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

Got to try the AXIS 101 (high aspect wing) yesterday.... did about 10km on it.

Carves like a dream.
Got over 30km/h easy.
Still on the foil at 14km/h.
Comes up super easy.
Needs more forward weight compared to the 102. (moved both my feet forward by about 10cm)

102 is wonderfully slow and steady and the 101 is still steady but adds some serious spice.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Foiling

"Axis 102 kite foiling" started by bigtone667