Forums > Kitesurfing General

2 French kite surfers die just before xmas

Created by Surfer62 > 9 months ago, 5 Jan 2015
Surfer62
1357 posts
5 Jan 2015 8:08AM
Thumbs Up

From another site, another kiters interpretation from French media, 2nd death freakish, stay safe

The first victim was married and had two kids. He was a surgeon.
While he was described as an experienced kiter he made a very bad choice.
The tide was going out and he should have waited till he had more space from the walls
and be further away from the cliffs that cause turbulence.

The guy that saw the accident said he just should have waited a little more,
however he impatiently launched in a dangerous position.
Turbulence can be very dangerous. Your kite can collapse and re power up deep in the wind window.
This is what happened. What is worse is that when a kite collapses in turbulence the lines lose tension and it can be hard to activate the safety release without tension.
He was also too close to obstacles. He was lifted once and hit a be arm, he was lifted again and hit a stone wall.
He could not be revived.
He was supposed to meet with his wife and kids who were waiting for him in the mountains.

Distance and patience are both your friends. Launch in the right place and at the right time.

The second accident is a very good example of how distance on the water is so important.
His kite got caught on the mast of a catamaran. The Cat flipped instantly, most likely due to the kite becoming an anchore either in the water or powering up in the worst way in the wind.
The kiter became trapped underwater and drowned.

Keeping distance is so important, yet so many kiters like to show their expertise by buzzing other people, obstacles and boats. I think we can thank kitesurfing promo videos for that too.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
5 Jan 2015 11:50AM
Thumbs Up

Kite safe this summer people...

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
5 Jan 2015 9:32AM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like avoidable accidents from careless or complacent kiters.

An experienced kiter would take into account the conditions and obstacles around them and in turn we wouldn't be reading the above posts.

I feel sorry for the families though as it could have been avoided with some common sense.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
5 Jan 2015 12:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RPM said..
Sounds like avoidable accidents from careless or complacent people.

it sounds like the top guy self launched.

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
5 Jan 2015 9:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said...
RPM said..
Sounds like avoidable accidents from careless or complacent people.

it sounds like the top guy self launched.

If he did, he didn't take into account the conditions and what was around him.

It's all about choices.

WeirdEd
VIC, 268 posts
5 Jan 2015 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

I just read the French description of the first incident. Apparently he was surfing a wave close to shore when he lost control in a gust and first hit a gravel bank and then a rock wall. It is reported that he unsuccessfully tried to activate his safety. The impact was so violent that he was killed on the spot despite wearing a helmet.
Stay safe people!

blog.surf-prevention.com/2014/12/20/kitesurfeur-mort-le-meme-jour/

kookanaut
9 posts
5 Jan 2015 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Did he self launch because RPM refused him?

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
5 Jan 2015 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kookanaut said...

Pretty sure he often rants about Euros as well.

ExSurfCentre
WA, 488 posts
5 Jan 2015 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RPM said..

An experienced kiter would take into account the conditions and obstacles around them and in turn we wouldn't be reading the above posts.

I feel sorry for the families though as it could have been avoided with some common sense.

You need to learn when to just say nothing. You may find it funny to stir reactions from your keyboard but dude two people are dead, take a day off.

gkawo
VIC, 193 posts
5 Jan 2015 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said..

kookanaut said...

Is RPM the new Lofty?

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
5 Jan 2015 4:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gkawo said...
surfingboye said..

kookanaut said...

Is RPM the new Lofty?

Nope.. We all know Gkawo=Loftywinds...

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
5 Jan 2015 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tgcp said...
RPM said..

You need to learn when to just say nothing. You may find it funny to stir reactions from your keyboard but dude two people are dead, take a day off.

Tgcp, loosen your knickers because your do good posts get a bit old. I wasn't stiring reactions just stating the obvious.

Last time I looked this was a Internet forum open to positive and negative criticism.

fingerbone
NSW, 921 posts
5 Jan 2015 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

I would imagine, just a guess, that the majority of bad accidents are from experienced kiters.

Remember that accidents are just that...accidents.

The better you get the further you push the limits of what you can do, its natural.

My condolences to all that knew them.

ExSurfCentre
WA, 488 posts
5 Jan 2015 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RPM said..

tgcp said...

RPM said..

Tgcp, loosen your knickers because your do good posts get a bit old. I wasn't stiring reactions just stating the obvious.

Last time I looked this was a Internet forum open to positive and negative criticism.

Sorry Bell end, not everyone was born brilliant. Happy New year. Is that enough positive and negative for you ;-)

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
6 Jan 2015 8:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RPM said..

"Avoidable Accidents" might be one of those crazy oxymorons.

A poorly handled 'incident' is the direct result of your own actions.

An accident is just a chance event, isn't it ?

Are accidents really preventable ?

It's weird how your whole world can flip in a split-second.

Do some of us take our lives for granted ? Probably.

And the willingness to take short-cuts is also a trap.

Don't be tempted.

NickT
WA, 1094 posts
6 Jan 2015 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

RPM and Waveslave are right. It's Sh!t it happened but some better choices by both parties would have not seen this outcome.

Unfortunately a lot of kiting deaths come from complacency, usually from people who probably know better. Shame the're not here to reconsider their decisions.

It's humbling to realize it could be you or your mates so use it as a lesson to all.

gkawo
VIC, 193 posts
6 Jan 2015 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RPM said..

gkawo said...

surfingboye said..

kookanaut said...

Is RPM the new Lofty?

Nope.. We all know Gkawo=Loftywinds...

Grrr at IP addresses.

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
6 Jan 2015 2:13PM
Thumbs Up

Bahahahah.

Rusta
WA, 31 posts
8 Jan 2015 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Inquest-into-Dutch-instructors-death-at-sea-20150107

Looks like it's happened in Cape town,this time to a instructor. Accidents do happen,stay safe this season and look out for one another.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"2 French kite surfers die just before xmas" started by Surfer62