Forums > Kitesurfing General

2011 National Titles - its official

Created by AKSA > 9 months ago, 2 Jun 2010
AKSA
NSW, 46 posts
2 Jun 2010 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

An extract from the "boardroom news" on www.aksa.com.au

From a phone conference meeting of the AKSA board on Monday 31th May 2010.

Submissions had been received from two parties requesting hosting rights to the season 2010/11 AKSA National Titles Events. After careful consideration of the online applications and thorough investigation of all supporting documentation provided it was resolved that the events be split between the applicants.
2011 AKSA National Freestyle & Racing Titles be awarded to the Townsville based applicants with the events to be run at Alva Beach QLD.
2011 AKSA National Wave Titles be awarded to the Victorian applicants with the event to be run at Warrnambool Vic.

Dates & full details will be posted here on www.aksa.com.au as each phase of organisation is completed.
Congratulations to both applicants. Judging by the quality of the applications Australia can expect to see yet another step up in the standard of national competition organisation this coming season.

kiter zac
QLD, 295 posts
2 Jun 2010 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

great decision. alva is a very nice spot

Adrenalin Rush
QLD, 876 posts
2 Jun 2010 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

The Alva beach Nationals and music festival!!!!

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
2 Jun 2010 10:28PM
Thumbs Up

humbug - whats music got to do with kiting ffs
Next you'll be telling us you will be putting those slider thingys out there for everyone to hit

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
2 Jun 2010 10:36PM
Thumbs Up

But if you must have music then Yves Klein Blue arent far away
Now that would really pull a crowd & blow everyone out of the water

IanR
NSW, 1261 posts
3 Jun 2010 1:34AM
Thumbs Up

To make puppet happy maybe make it a Vampire comp and have all the Twilight teens rock up

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
3 Jun 2010 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Sick :) Racing :) Can't wait - got rough dates for us?

scoop
86 posts
3 Jun 2010 7:30AM
Thumbs Up

Nice one.
The wave nationals would be this year though right, not 2011?

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
3 Jun 2010 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

puppetonastring said...

Next you'll be telling us you will be putting those slider thingys out there for everyone to hit

Don't forget yoga in the park

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
3 Jun 2010 4:37PM
Thumbs Up

arsa said...

The Alva beach Nationals and music festival!!!!

This will be a great event for the kiting community Australia, especially for the grommies.

The planning has begun. Anybody that is keen to get involved with the event planning, sponsorship... please message us, ARSA or Chris Wardel.

Ideas, thoughts anything that will help to make this event better are highly appreciated.

Peace*

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
3 Jun 2010 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

Rhys Porter said...

Sick :) Racing :) Can't wait - got rough dates for us?

Hi Rhys,

still pending between Anzac Day weekend and Queens B-Day weekend.

suggestions?

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
3 Jun 2010 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

KIT33R said...

puppetonastring said...

haha you liked the Yoga mate, cant remmber you stretching it up at Alva !?

chrwar
QLD, 272 posts
3 Jun 2010 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

This event is the one!
We have a great venue to provide the best in accommodation options, food, music/entertainment off the water and of course the many riding options Alva offers, from flatwater pools to deep channels and waves.

We have the opportunity to cater an event for the mixed disciplines of kiteboarding all in the one place! We want the freestyle nationals this year to be mixed with a wakestyle nationals and course racing!

The wakestyle event will be judged by wakeboarders primarily and will consist of a mix of park and flatwater based tricks within the wakestyle genre, that is kite low, powered and of course fully committed with appropriated gear selection ie. boots etc!

Racing will be course racing following similar rules etc to that which is taking off on the world stage.

Freestyle nationals will follow AKSA ruling and be similar to all other freestyle nationals following as closely as possible to the PKRA format including (fingers x'd) judges from the PKRA itself!

We are planning to have all disciplines open for all riders, that is you can compete in all or just choose one! The entry fee will cover everything from your competition to food and allow you some accommodation options including the use of the surf club for hot showers and sleeping. For those who wish to sleep in a more quiet location there will be camp grounds, hotels on offer within walking distance of the event site!

We are in discussions about whether or not to have an overall champion, one who excels in all disciplines or for this year let it run and have three champions? Of course there is the possibility that it could be the same person or at least a champion of two disciplines!

This is the time to put suggestions forward to.... (as Marvin mentioned previously), me -if it involves the actual kiteboarding comps, or Marvin for overall event management!

If you have your say now, we have nearly a year to get it right, and this time cater for all styles except of course waves. If we get it right, then everyone and every style has no option but to come, ride and enjoy Alva and of course the off the water vibe will be amazing!

Keen as.....

Chris Wardell
e. cwardell@bestkiteboarding.com

kiting kid
VIC, 219 posts
3 Jun 2010 11:32PM
Thumbs Up

KIT33R said...

Hahaha that was a highlight

sammyd
QLD, 101 posts
4 Jun 2010 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Hmm these places might be great places to kite but they are an absolute pain for people to get to

not only a plane flight but a drive in a hire car as well - for a few hours

the poor dudes from WA - it will be even worse - 2 flights to get to townsville

attending one these will set you back about a grand after you have bought flights , hired a car, accom, food and entry fees

I guess you could start saving up for it now

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
4 Jun 2010 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

INTHELOOP said...

KIT33R said...

puppetonastring said...

haha you liked the Yoga mate, cant remmber you stretching it up at Alva !?

I slept in.

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
4 Jun 2010 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

sammyd said...

Hmm these places might be great places to kite but they are an absolute pain for people to get to

attending one these will set you back about a grand after you have bought flights , hired a car, accom, food and entry fees

True, but it depends on who puts up their hand to undertake an immense amount of hard work, without pay. Hats off to anyone who can volunteer their time so that a select few can strut their stuff for a few days, collect a few prizes and go home.

We need sponsors from outside the kiting industry to get behind these events so as to make it affordable and attractive to travel the great distances our amateur sport dictates.

There's nothing stopping competitors raising their own sponsorship money for travel expenses either.

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
4 Jun 2010 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Marvin - Remember Anzac day weekend is the Core slider Jam in WA... If they're keeping it the same weekend as last year anyway...

Queens birthday would be better - and provide a winter kiting option for many East coasters... It's so far away but!!!

YoMoFo
NSW, 240 posts
4 Jun 2010 10:02AM
Thumbs Up

Rhys Porter said...

Hey Marvin - Remember Anzac day weekend is the Core slider Jam in WA...

I thought it was on Aussie day?

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
4 Jun 2010 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Iam with rhys porter have it queens b'day something happening in the middle of the year for the people that dont get to kite in winter cause of no wind . Bring it on should be a top event .

J inthe bool
VIC, 105 posts
4 Jun 2010 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

More information on the 2011 Surf Nationals in Warrnambool to come over the next few days, the Warrnambool guys are stocked to be hosting.....!

The entertainment/live acts to run with the event look impressive......we also have a local festival running in town over that weekend, that will provide plenty of coverage and spectators.

Being a few hours from Melb. and the airport we are currently securing a number of deals to make the trip down our way as cheap as possible, eg. 50% off rail travel from the city (V/Line even offered to put on an extra carriage for gear), cheep accommodation, etc.

Cheers

magilla
VIC, 60 posts
4 Jun 2010 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

For people who dont know Warrnambool is a town of about 35000 people. We are securing cheap travel to town and the Warrnambool City Council have told us that people coming to this event will be offered discounts on all types of accomidation. We have beautiful clean beaches and want to host a competition that is inclusive of all riders ability in a non evasive way. For example a free ride session on one of the days that may include big air and good tryers awards/prizes. People may be quick to critisies but I can assure you that the community are right behind this event. I personaly are putting my hand in my pocket in a big way even though my business has nothing to do with kiteing. Volunteers from the coast guard will be on the water during the entire event making it possible to host the event in offshore winds and adding to the safety component. We will also have a large contingency of volunteer qualified first aiders. The Warrnambool area has been featured on the reasently released movie The Dirty South, a Ben Wilson movie. We do see the entertainment component of the event important as not only will it ramp it up but also attract a large amount of spectators to our event that would not normally view kite boarding. Dont need to tell you lot how that could enhanse our sport. The entertainment is going to be amazing!!! Some names you may want check out on the internet are Grant Smiley, Heath Renata, Andy Murphy, Yatch Club DJ's, Jon Course, Tommy Richardson, Bomba and Ash Grunwald.
Anyway hope you all can make it and support this event.
Events like this are important to regional areas

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
4 Jun 2010 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Rhys Porter said...

Hey Marvin - Remember Anzac day weekend is the Core slider Jam in WA... If they're keeping it the same weekend as last year anyway...

Queens birthday would be better - and provide a winter kiting option for many East coasters... It's so far away but!!!

Yea bud, wasnt aware of core slider jam! I thought it was in December!?
I personally would prefer April for several reasons:

1. People are still in summer mode
2. The prefect climate in Alva during April- warm and cosy.
3. We get the first strong trade winds in ( the last two years we had 3 weeks of 20knts in April)
4. It is earlier in the year- we dont have to wait as long!

yea there is definitely room for discussion re the date!

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
4 Jun 2010 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

chrwar said...

Freestyle nationals will follow AKSA ruling and be similar to all other freestyle nationals following as closely as possible to the PKRA format including (fingers x'd) judges from the PKRA itself!

Awesome! Start training on that gym equipment kids.
They should make the waveriding on PKRA rules to... it's about as legit.

choicey
QLD, 280 posts
4 Jun 2010 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Core slider jam 26th Jan

Rhys McClintock
NSW, 995 posts
5 Jun 2010 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

Whoops Got Aussie day and Anzac day mixed up lol - Core's on the 26th Jan. as Choicey said...

25th April - Anzac works too..

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
5 Jun 2010 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

sammyd said...

Hi sammy,

i understand where you coming from but these issues are general issues for such an event.

1. The majority of people attending will have to fly anyways, doesnt matter where it is and where they come from.
2. Car hire is something we will work on- cheaper rates with companies..
We will also have buses going to Alva that people can jump on and local people can take riders down as well.
3. We will provide accommodation for all registered people and cater for food.

It will actually be much cheaper for people to go to Alva ( remote place) have the whole community down there together than staying in big city with hotels where you have way more costs involved eg. getting to the event from hotels, parking and so on.

I think start saving up is a good idea and definitely going to be worth it :)

Again any suggestions, ideas, concerns and help are good to communicate!

cheers bud

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
5 Jun 2010 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

magilla said...

For people who dont know Warrnambool is a town of about 35000 people. We are securing cheap travel to town and the Warrnambool City Council have told us that people coming to this event will be offered discounts on all types of accomidation. We have beautiful clean beaches and want to host a competition that is inclusive of all riders ability in a non evasive way. For example a free ride session on one of the days that may include big air and good tryers awards/prizes. People may be quick to critisies but I can assure you that the community are right behind this event. I personaly are putting my hand in my pocket in a big way even though my business has nothing to do with kiteing. Volunteers from the coast guard will be on the water during the entire event making it possible to host the event in offshore winds and adding to the safety component. We will also have a large contingency of volunteer qualified first aiders. The Warrnambool area has been featured on the reasently released movie The Dirty South, a Ben Wilson movie. We do see the entertainment component of the event important as not only will it ramp it up but also attract a large amount of spectators to our event that would not normally view kite boarding. Dont need to tell you lot how that could enhanse our sport. The entertainment is going to be amazing!!! Some names you may want check out on the internet are Grant Smiley, Heath Renata, Andy Murphy, Yatch Club DJ's, Jon Course, Tommy Richardson, Bomba and Ash Grunwald.
Anyway hope you all can make it and support this event.
Events like this are important to regional areas

Stoked for you mate. On ya.

sorse
NSW, 509 posts
6 Jun 2010 12:44AM
Thumbs Up

April is good for me I'm slowing down and can get up there hopefully with a bit of a hook up,
Sorse is back boys next year and will be bringing some newi crew :)
Hmm Masters and open I think..
Time to hit the Trampampolineee :)
and get some time on the water myself..
ps hope we get to do racing at half time through the sand bars :)

samereffic
22 posts
6 Jun 2010 1:51AM
Thumbs Up

hey sorse have you been out of the game for awhile too?

sorse
NSW, 509 posts
6 Jun 2010 10:18PM
Thumbs Up

Snowboard instructing, and then running my own kite school and engaged, all last year..
Next season back into the thick again. Running the school teaching advanced lessons and building up my repoirtoire again with some new tricks :)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"2011 National Titles - its official" started by AKSA