Forums > Kitesurfing General

2011 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton Race

Created by WAKSA > 9 months ago, 7 Oct 2011
cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
30 Oct 2011 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

heres my tip put down your name as lleyton hewitt on your application, youll get a wild card entry

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
31 Oct 2011 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

JohnnoKeys said...

I'ld go an kite impact vest Ric - I used a North one for the last 12 months & last years race, any brand will do the job well, great for kite coarse racing offshore as well. I wouldn't kite more than 1km offshore without mine. Also a good idea on a surfboard in really big waves gives you a bit more safety when kiting way, way offshore in lite winds.

Sounds good, but are they also officially classed as a PFD?

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
31 Oct 2011 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

A standard pfd probably better - an impact vest is a flotation device.

WAKSA
WA, 813 posts
31 Oct 2011 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

A number of participants are enquiring about what type of PFD (Personal Flotation Device) needs to be worn.

Any type of PFD i.e., type 1, 2, or 3 can be worn for L2L -it's really down to the individual as to fashionability; colour; comfort and style....

In case anyone wants to know more, try this link for details as to the different types available: http://www.bia.org.au/pdf-forms/Lifejackets.pdf

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
31 Oct 2011 11:42PM
Thumbs Up

As it is an organised offshore event with insurance in place I doubt any of the kite specific impact vests are Australian standard approved as a "PFD" type 1, 2 or 3 to use in the event.

the walks
WA, 448 posts
31 Oct 2011 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

correct me if i'm wrong, but for insurance reasons, that far offshore, the correct pfd must be used, colour and fashion don't come into it, if something does go wrong you can be sure the insurance company will try to find a reason not to pay out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the walks
WA, 448 posts
31 Oct 2011 11:27PM
Thumbs Up

i'm a member of the Power Dingy Racing Club, we only race on rivers but pdf 3's are not allowed, it might be wise for waksa to check the small print on the policy.

WAKSA
WA, 813 posts
1 Nov 2011 7:33AM
Thumbs Up

The PL insurance policy makes no reference to PFD's (of any type) being a requirement for kite surfing (as an individual) or for kite surfing events organised by state Associations.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
1 Nov 2011 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

But is this going to keep the Department of Transport/Marine and Harbours Inspectors happy?

The minimum for a 'vessel' between Rotto and the mainland is a bilge pump, fire extinguisher, anchor, life jackets (type 1) and 2 red/2 smoke flares.

Allowing for a bit of common sense I'm guessing the minimum you could get away with on a kite is a type 1 life jacket and the flares??? will the PL insurance payout on a claim if competitors are not wearing minimum legal safety equipment and it contributes to a loss or liability?

The other L2L requires, " Safety - During marathons all competitors must carry 2 flares and shall be required to wear an ASA 1499,2350 or ASA Type 1 or 2. Internationally stamped equivalents may be accepted at the discretion of the race director. If flares are out of date but are in very good condition they may be accepted at the discretion of the officer of the day. All competitors shall carry, securely attached to their buoyancy vests; two orange or red smoke flares. Competitors without proper safety equipment will not be allowed to compete."

elmo
WA, 8727 posts
1 Nov 2011 9:24AM
Thumbs Up

The PFD requirements are a marine requirement (the race has to comply with),

www.transport.wa.gov.au/imarine/19166.asp

The Neil Pryde vests are quite popular as your harness hook can go through them to stop the riding up and strangling you.

www.neilpryde.com/accessories/vests/vest.html

The first one on the page is the main one used

Hope this helps

WAKSA
WA, 813 posts
1 Nov 2011 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said...

But is this going to keep the Department of Transport/Marine and Harbours Inspectors happy?

The minimum for a 'vessel' between Rotto and the mainland is a bilge pump, fire extinguisher, anchor, life jackets (type 1) and 2 red/2 smoke flares.

DoT has given approval for the event; & pursuant to the Navigable Waters Regulations, kites/kitesurfing is not (at this point in time) classified under those Regulations as a 'vessel'. Regardless of this, one flare is provided for each participant in L2L.

picker
VIC, 431 posts
1 Nov 2011 1:38PM
Thumbs Up

Hey..

Seriously now, is the course cross wind, or slightly up/down if its the DR. blowing?
can you see the finish mark - building behind from the start?
i.e. need to point into the wind or head down??

how did people go around vessels last year? - anchored - down wind? or tryed to pass up? do the real ships affect the wind much? will they be opperating at time of race?

cheers Drew

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
1 Nov 2011 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

there is quite a few silly posts from non starters.

tissues for your issues.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
1 Nov 2011 2:48PM
Thumbs Up

WAKSA. said...

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said...

DoT has given approval for the event; & pursuant to the Navigable Waters Regulations, kites/kitesurfing is not (at this point in time) classified under those Regulations as a 'vessel'. Regardless of this, one flare is provided for each participant in L2L.

Nice work. Just throwing it out there that's all. Might be a silly question from a nOn starter (who didn't enter) but if bad bad things didn't happen to peoplewhen they didn't expect it I would be unemployed.

MikeN
WA, 368 posts
1 Nov 2011 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Has anybody recieved an e-mail from Red Bull confirming that they got a spot .

I know the nonstarters got one .

swinginginthewind
WA, 281 posts
1 Nov 2011 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

MikeN said...

Yes Mike, received on the 28th Oct

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
1 Nov 2011 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

MikeN said...

Are you sure you applied?

oceanfire
WA, 718 posts
1 Nov 2011 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

RPM said...

there is quite a few silly posts from non starters.

Don't worry about that; do the regulations require a shark-shield?

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
1 Nov 2011 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

MikeN said...

pretty sure your name was read out on the night of the draw Mike, the lady tried to pronounce it two to three times , mine wasnt.......Damn!!!!!!

lowkite
WA, 61 posts
2 Nov 2011 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

hey guys ,

Don't have a race board or speed board so what would be the best option?
Twintip 139 or surfboard 5.9'??
cheers

MikeN
WA, 368 posts
2 Nov 2011 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Oops , found the e-mail

I had been away and my wife had cleaned out the inbox and didn't recognize Yellow Jersey and thought it was spam .

Happy now , all we need is wind so I can try out the board to see what it will actually do .

Intheozone
WA, 247 posts
2 Nov 2011 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

WAKSA. said...

The PL insurance policy makes no reference to PFD's (of any type) being a requirement for kite surfing (as an individual) or for kite surfing events organised by state Associations.

Does this mean that PFD's are not required?

James
WA, 549 posts
2 Nov 2011 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

SugarQube said...
[ , mine wasnt.......Damn!!!!!!

Don't worry mate, you can watch it on TV

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
2 Nov 2011 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

MikeN said...

Oops , found the e-mail
Happy now , all we need is wind so I can try out the board to see what it will actually do .

Damn I was planning on winning this year ..... and now you go and get a spot
Just have to settle for 2nd place I guess

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
2 Nov 2011 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Which board ..... this board ....... that board ...... dont bother entering unless you have a serious race board ...... blah blah blah.

Time to think outside the square.
Your fancy new course racer just isnt going to cut it. They are built to win the upwind legs.
Your regular - even low wind - TT isnt going to cut it. They just arent built for either ocean swell or speed if its any sort of chop.
Surf boards ??? some may match conditions OK but if they perform on waves then they too arent the G-O for carving thru swell & slop on a broad reach.

Heres what Im working on.
I was going to keep it as secret as the winged keel but I dont want an unfair advantage so Im putting the secret out there.
Years of development; untold hours of tuning to local conditions and now just the finishing touches to fine tune the whole concept.
I'll even post pics of the finished article - when its fully race readied.

Its the KKS L2L CUSTOM - frothing

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
2 Nov 2011 9:19PM
Thumbs Up

Curious, how big are the fins?

Its looks pretty impressive anyway. :)

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
2 Nov 2011 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

puppetonastring said...

Which board ..... this board ....... that board ...... dont bother entering unless you have a serious race board ...... blah blah blah.

Time to think outside the square.
Your fancy new course racer just isnt going to cut it. They are built to win the upwind legs.
Your regular - even low wind - TT isnt going to cut it. They just arent built for either ocean swell or speed if its any sort of chop.
Surf boards ??? some may match conditions OK but if they perform on waves then they too arent the G-O for carving thru swell & slop on a broad reach.

Heres what Im working on.
I was going to keep it as secret as the winged keel but I dont want an unfair advantage so Im putting the secret out there.
Years of development; untold hours of tuning to local conditions and now just the finishing touches to fine tune the whole concept.
I'll even post pics of the finished article - when its fully race readied.

Its the KKS L2L CUSTOM - frothing

I have already claimed that! Your a bad man for exposing my ride phil.

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
2 Nov 2011 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

James said...

SugarQube said...
[ , mine wasnt.......Damn!!!!!!

Don't worry mate, you can watch it on TV

You got a good memory there you little %$#@^

...and no more fins for you.

e0422713
WA, 975 posts
3 Nov 2011 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

what type of boats are being used for rescue and support ( what ratio is being used )
what type i qualifications to the skippers have.?

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
3 Nov 2011 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

e0422713 said...

what type of boats are being used for rescue and support ( what ratio is being used )
what type i qualifications to the skippers have.?

That's up to the organisers. Why are you asking those type of questions anyways?

As per last years event which was a great success and no dramas do you think WAKSA and the organisers would cut corners?? Did you get an entry e0422713 or are you volunteering your services with a master 5???

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"2011 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton Race" started by WAKSA