Forums > Kitesurfing General

2014 RED BULL LIGHTHOUSE TO LEIGHTON

Created by L2L > 9 months ago, 26 Sep 2014
Simsurf
WA, 238 posts
21 Oct 2014 6:17AM
Thumbs Up

Couldn't make it to the draw last night. How soon could we expect to see the email to find out if we are in or not?

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
21 Oct 2014 6:38AM
Thumbs Up

Not trying to troll, but I thought Red Bull events are typically meant to be extreme in some way?

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
21 Oct 2014 7:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..
Not trying to troll, but I thought Red Bull events are typically meant to be extreme in some way?

Well then SR don't troll....
your mundane could quite easily be someone else's extreme, just depends on our experience as a point of reference.

billykiter
WA, 303 posts
21 Oct 2014 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..

Depends on the weather and your equipment. If it is blowing 35knts and you are using a 15m and a skimboard you probably could call it extreme.

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
21 Oct 2014 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Woohooo!!!
I'm in!

L2L
WA, 195 posts
21 Oct 2014 10:59AM
Thumbs Up

Ok! Thank you to the 40 + people who joined the crew at Kite Addiction for the Red Bull, Beer, BBQ and Draw Night - Nice work and nice vibe.

All the successful applicants have been emailed this morning. PLEASE CHECK YOUR JUNK / SPAM in boxes, as the email typically goes there… add the Sender as a Safe Sender so you do not miss future emails.

Thank you also to those kiters who nominated and regrettably missed out on a spot - sorry - with luck, 2015 and 2016 may be more successful.

ROTTNEST EXPRESS will soon announce a competition for FREE SPONSORED spots for those who missed out! Watch this space!

The below email is a copy of what was sent ...

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
21 Oct 2014 1:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..

extreme legs of steel mate. If 25knts the Tranq will be choice of board ;)

rez
WA, 354 posts
21 Oct 2014 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Bummer missed out. Good luck to all nominated competitors!

Mark _australia
WA, 22303 posts
21 Oct 2014 9:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..

Agreed

Do they really have a boat to flatten the water for y'all?

And the old Rotto race was both ways.
L2L = Leighton to Leighton. Full swell and chop, whatever comes.
55mins.

Now we're talking.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
21 Oct 2014 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

sir ROWDY said..

Agreed

Do they really have a boat to flatten the water for y'all?

And the old Rotto race was both ways.
L2L = Leighton to Leighton. Full swell and chop, whatever comes.
55mins.

Now we're talking.

which is why the carnac race is going to be so much more fun :)

Mark _australia
WA, 22303 posts
21 Oct 2014 10:05PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ hell yes

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
21 Oct 2014 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..
^^^ hell yes

Are you in the Carnac Mark?

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
22 Oct 2014 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
INTHELOOP said..

sir ROWDY said..

extreme legs of steel mate. If 25knts the Tranq will be choice of board ;)

Hahaha, didn't think of it like that. Still doesn't fit in my head, but hey glad they are doing something for the sport! Good luck guys!

Weta
WA, 893 posts
22 Oct 2014 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Rowdy look at the shark fatality stats for that area it's not the sort of water you want to float around in..........I'd want wings

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
23 Oct 2014 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
24 Oct 2014 2:08PM
Thumbs Up

not so worried about sharks more seaweed and no sharks in 25knts +

ianmac
WA, 267 posts
24 Oct 2014 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Marv have bad news for you as far as 25 kn goes GW Don't have an issue going that fast nice deep water for a good run up for them hahaha

Underoath
QLD, 2432 posts
24 Oct 2014 3:05PM
Thumbs Up

When attacking Great Whites can travel up to 60kms/ hour.

JimJones
QLD, 236 posts
24 Oct 2014 5:20PM
Thumbs Up

Just a query......does the lead safety boat flatten the water for the front runners....?

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
24 Oct 2014 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JimJones said..
Just a query......does the lead safety boat flatten the water for the front runners....?

Yes it does. however, last year it was also going zick zack

L2L
WA, 195 posts
25 Oct 2014 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JimJones said..

It is certainly NOT the intention to provide a flatter / easier course for anyone. This year, the lead boat will be briefed to be further ahead. As Race Director, and with the Head Referee on board the lead boat, last year we endeavoured to make sure that NO advantage was given to the leader… As well, any perceived advantage is also reduced with the turbulent water below the surface by all accounts ...

The sole purpose of the lead boat is to provide ease of navigation for all of the fleet of 110 racers, especially the top 10% - say - as the balance of the field, the next 90% simply follow everyone else!

PS: Marvin, no way was the lead boat zig zagging, other than to avoid the odd parked ship, … I was on board and I know that we took the most direct route!!!

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
26 Oct 2014 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

In the boat's wash you get a lot water bubbles/turbulences and you will have little control and less acceleration.

WC Canvas
WA, 55 posts
30 Oct 2014 2:06AM
Thumbs Up

Just a question about PLB's, Flares?

Do we need to run PLB and flares in the race - what is the requirements?

pilotpete
WA, 147 posts
30 Oct 2014 6:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
topline said..

Smallest PLB I've seen yet, Reg showed me at Kite Addiction
Check out www.facebook.com/pages/Kiteaddiction/166516946740004
Not cheap until you need it then it's gold

patto1987
NSW, 194 posts
30 Oct 2014 9:46AM
Thumbs Up

They gave us flares last yr which you then swapped for the shirt when you gave it back at the end...

If we need PLBs maybe Tim should email everyone to confirm..

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
30 Oct 2014 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
topline said..

i highly doubt you are going to need anything other than the flares given out . L2L has exemptions as does LOC every year . So stop stressing about plb's and just make sure you have a PFD

L2L
WA, 195 posts
30 Oct 2014 1:10PM
Thumbs Up

All competitors will be supplied with two orange flares for use during the event and in an emergency and need to be returned after the race to receive your event T shirt.

Any * lost or not returned * flares will need to be refunded at cost, excluded are of course flares that are used in the event of an emeregncy / rescue!

The lycras this year have a special pocket machined inside of / to the back of the lycra to securely carry the two flares (clever, huh?!?) ...

The new design to be released soon... looking great!

As well, the L2L race has applied for an exemption around the requirement of using EPIRBS.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
30 Oct 2014 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

During training, please adhere to the following:

Marksy
WA, 2 posts
30 Oct 2014 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

L2L could we have a demonstration on how to use the flares this year, as done at the wedge to lano race last year. cheers

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
30 Oct 2014 4:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Marksy said..
L2L could we have a demonstration on how to use the flares this year, as done at the wedge to lano race last year. cheers

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"2014 RED BULL LIGHTHOUSE TO LEIGHTON" started by L2L