Forums > Kitesurfing General

4 line north bar 2014

Created by Dj Atak > 9 months ago, 15 Oct 2016
Dj Atak
WA, 74 posts
15 Oct 2016 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Having trouble with the middle lines twisting up all the time!! i gotta keep moving the swivel depending on if I'm going out or coming in, but if I make a turn or 2 on a wave I look up and the middle lines are twisted... Anyone have the the same problem??? It's a brand New 2014 north bar..

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
15 Oct 2016 7:20PM
Thumbs Up

What swivel?

unless You loop the kite or do some rotations this shouldn't be happening.

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
15 Oct 2016 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

I used to get it a lot when down looping in waves in the same direction, all the time.

it works best with less load, so give it a spin with the kite above your head.

side note, apart from the obvious, the new click bar also eliminates this, but utilising and rectangular centre line that unwinds when the bar is spun.

but for now, try taking the load off it a little.

Dj Atak
WA, 74 posts
16 Oct 2016 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

Sorry mate I meant the roto head below the bar!! I gotta keep moving that depending on what direction I'm going.... The cleat interferes with the red safety line which makes the centre lines twist up..

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
16 Oct 2016 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Oh ...the iron heart ...cool.

You say its brand new? to add to what JB ha said, if Yu loop the kite one way all the time...even if you untwist the front lines using the iron heart...eventually the red safety line will get a ingrained twist in them. get someone to hold the metal ring at the end of the safety (bar end)...you start untwisting yourself from the cleat back towards the bar...

every now now and then...once a season maybe, I need to do this otherwise the red twists the front lines regardless of using the iron heart to unwind the fronts.

Might be this? Got a pic?

Dj Atak
WA, 74 posts
16 Oct 2016 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

It's a brand spanking new bar... Took it out of the box yesterday!!! Same thing happened today. I put up with it for an hour or 2 today... Bloody annoying!!

Dj Atak
WA, 74 posts
16 Oct 2016 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

And this is what happens with out any loops of rotations just a couple of turns on a wave.. But it twists up at least half way down the bar.. I gotta keep pulling that red line till it comes good

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
16 Oct 2016 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

That's fckn weird man. sorry man got me beat. JB???

If he doesn't reply look for 'Dan At North' on KF...USA representative. That guy is a downright legend and will get it sorted For sure.

acruelly here is his email...

dans@northsports.com

Dj Atak
WA, 74 posts
16 Oct 2016 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers!! Will speak to the shop tomorrow!!

CJ2478
NSW, 484 posts
17 Oct 2016 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

I have this same bar, and hate it compared to my cabrinha bar...

Does anyone know how to convert it to a single flagging line? It looks like the 2015 north bar has this feature and is the same except for the colour.

JBFletch
QLD, 1287 posts
17 Oct 2016 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

sorry guys.
on the road back to SA.
shoot me a pm and we'll work on getting it resolved.

Cheers

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
18 Oct 2016 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

... I have a theory.

If you have run the bar out with no twists to begin with before attaching to kite, then you don't do any loops during session, then you won't have any true twists but you can have, maybe I'll call them 'fake' twists for now, where the red safety line that may be loose swinging around and wrapping its self back onto the thicker white front line.

I think what is happening is the red line is a bit slack because the depower has been used and the red safety line is just wrapping around the tight single white line in the middle, with twists going clock wise one end and anti-clockwise the other end. These twists are in theory 2 times the wraps or twists then had you actually done some loops.

Not sure if I explained that right.

Anyway, I noticed the same thing happening to me when I am in suicide mode. If that ring is not attached to the chickenloop, then as you depower the kite, the safety leash has a bit of weight and kind of dangles down and pulls enough tension to stop it swinging around. No twisting.

I don't think swivels will help in this situation either. I remember back in the day, my old Naish bars used to stop this with a bit of bungie inside the red safety line but the bungie used to stretch too easily, probably because of our tropical heat so never really worked.

I tested to see the safety system still works with the 'fake' twists and it was fine for me.

Cheers,

Robbie :)

Matt988
WA, 154 posts
18 Oct 2016 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Puetz said...
... I have a theory.

If you have run the bar out with no twists to begin with before attaching to kite, then you don't do any loops during session, then you won't have any true twists but you can have, maybe I'll call them 'fake' twists for now, where the red safety line that may be loose swinging around and wrapping its self back onto the thicker white front line.

I think what is happening is the red line is a bit slack because the depower has been used and the red safety line is just wrapping around the tight single white line in the middle, with twists going clock wise one end and anti-clockwise the other end. These twists are in theory 2 times the wraps or twists then had you actually done some loops.

Anyway, I noticed the same thing happening to me when I am in suicide mode. If that ring is not attached to the chickenloop, then as you depower the kite, the safety leash has a bit of weight and kind of dangles down and pulls enough tension to stop it swinging around. No twisting.

I don't think swivels will help in this situation either. I remember back in the day, my old Naish bars used to stop this with a bit of bungie inside the red safety line but the bungie used to stretch too easily, probably because of our tropical heat so never really worked.

I tested to see the safety system still works with the 'fake' twists and it was fine for me.

Cheers,

I get the same thing when I'm suicide setup. I Just grab the red line and give it a few tugs and it sorts its self out usually. Wake bar is better for it than the trust bar. Shorter red line. Like you say doesn't seem to effect the safety releasing with those kind of twists.

weebitbreezy
624 posts
18 Oct 2016 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

The North 4 line bars are notorious for the safety line twisting. Your leash stops the safety untwisting even though you might use the swivel to untwist the other lines.

Options are to either manually untwist every now and again (get a helper to hold lines at the Y split and walk down the safety a couple of times to untwist. Or get a swivel like this:

<www.kitesurfing-shop.co.uk/buy/033-ozone-flag-out-safety-ring-with-swivel-879059;

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
18 Oct 2016 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ or simply avoid the north bars and the issues ?? My mate flies north kites and his bars seem to fall apart in no time ... And the Dice kites fly with weird turned in wing tips - TRUE ! Oh dear - not a good wrap for a brand that has a great following .

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
18 Oct 2016 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

I have north bars going back to 2010 just working fine today.

Stop this bullcrap once and forever.

North bars are just fine. I use them everyday.

Used a 2017 ozone bar On Saturday and my son just used an ozone kite and bar from 2012 that to was just fine.

Had a switch bar, worked really well. Had an airush bar in 2012 that was great. Used a kite the other day with a simple cab bar... the list goes on.

Get the Fck over this pendantic unhelpful bull**** FFS.

You wanna see how bad north kites are come and watch us lads ride. If not shut the Fck up and get on with learning how to actually ride and not whinge about the damn gear you use or have 'heard something'.

Dj Atak
WA, 74 posts
18 Oct 2016 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

I think you are spot on robbie!!! The red safety line goes slack at times, and tangles itself around the white line... As simple as that I think.
Thanks mate

Dave Whettingsteel
WA, 1397 posts
18 Oct 2016 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Lambie said...
^^^^ or simply avoid the north bars and the issues ?? My mate flies north kites and his bars seem to fall apart in no time ... And the Dice kites fly with weird turned in wing tips - TRUE ! Oh dear - not a good wrap for a brand that has a great following .

Up to you Mate, but i don't think that's the experience of myself
and the kiters I know.
You need to look after your kit whatever brand as well.

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
19 Oct 2016 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DJ taka said..
I think you are spot on robbie!!! The red safety line goes slack at times, and tangles itself around the white line... As simple as that I think.
Thanks mate

... cool as dude! It seems a bit of a tug and wiggle of the red line above the cleat fixes it too, not always as it depends on how many twists you have but no biggie either.

cheers,

Robbie

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
19 Oct 2016 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Matt988 said..

Puetz said...
... I have a theory.

Cheers,

I get the same thing when I'm suicide setup. I Just grab the red line and give it a few tugs and it sorts its self out usually. Wake bar is better for it than the trust bar. Shorter red line. Like you say doesn't seem to effect the safety releasing with those kind of twists.

... the bar I'm using on my Ozone Edge is actually a modified North trust bar turned into a 4 line low Y bar.

I got frustrated with the original Ozone bar for a few reasons with the biggest 3 frustrations being,,,,, the chickenloop plastic wears through too quickly under me (3 months), the bar its self is bending and the chickenloop/megatron swivel is a bit stiff making unwinding line twists annoying.

So, seeing as I haven't bent a recent north bar or wore out a chickenloop, I decided to modify a North bar to suit the Ozone Edge with the Y or front lines split being as low as possible but also having the North safety work normally.

Anyway, works great and I'm happy with it plus the twists are easy to unwind with the smoother swivel.

Cheers,

Robbie

ps used a demo 'Click' bar for a couple weeks and twists are a thing of the past with that thing,,,,,, loved it once I got used to it.

Spitfire
WA, 396 posts
22 Oct 2016 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Used a 2017 ozone bar On Saturday and my son just used an ozone kite and bar from 2012 that to was just fine.

Had a switch bar, worked really well. Had an airush bar in 2012 that was great. Used a kite the other day with a simple cab bar... the list goes on.

You wanna see how bad north kites are come and watch us lads ride. If not shut the Fck up and get on with learning how to actually ride and not whinge about the damn gear you use or have 'heard something'.

The north bars certainly have had issues in the past. I bought a new one in 2013 and it didn't even last a season. Grip fell off,trim rope started to come apart with a red cord busting out of it and both the elastic ends snapped off. However! my 2011 bar is still going strong. I guess with companies always trying to change things and make things "better" some time they go backwards.

THE PIN PULLER
WA, 465 posts
22 Oct 2016 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

Ba ha ha what a croc of crap I've had the same north bar since 2011 will still go out in 30knots and lay down a loop. Did you wash your bar after every session did you leave it lying in te sun ??? Come on like all the bars are made from the same stuff the company's are not re inventing the wheel. In all honesty I've blown my wod over the new clicker bar and will be purchasing one off big bad Dazza in the near future... ITS NOT THE RIDE ITS THE RIDER !!! :-)

MrFreeze
289 posts
22 Oct 2016 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
eppo said..

Hmmmmm, expletives... unbefitting a sensei of your stature sir.

BTW we don't need to travel down there to see average riders. Plenty north of the river but thanks for the invitation all the same.

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
22 Oct 2016 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh I knew I wouldn't get away with that one from you freeze. Fair enough, reply was over the top.

samokta...yep 2013 grip was susceptible, can't deny that. And they messed up the rebel that year. They also had a horrid run with delmainating valves 2010 and some of the 2011 kites. I replaced every single valve (everyone), on my bros 2010 fuse with trap valves. Still flies to this day. He had a bar with a delaminated grip (wasn't a north bar but hey), used tennis grip tape and it still rocks. I had a shonky new north valve back in 2013/2014 season, went to the shop we put a new one on...fixed.

Now, that's out of the way...it's the 2016/2017 season.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"4 line north bar 2014" started by Dj Atak