Forums > Kitesurfing General

A "funny" thing happened on the way to the beach..

Created by Kazan > 9 months ago, 8 Oct 2013
Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
8 Oct 2013 11:42AM
Thumbs Up

Imagine this ...

Perfect cross-on-shore 12 to 17knots. Warm 30deg sunny day, babes lying on the beach, and about 2 kiters out. Perfect nirvana for a kite surfer, right? Pumped up kite, ready to rock and roll when bar and line bag is found to be corroded! Zip won't budge. Pull a little harder - SNAP!

**needle across vinyl record sound**

Grrrrr

Cut bag open with safety knife (thank you Mystic! Not!), but ...

**2nd needle across vinyl record sound**

Cut into lines as well!!!

Grrrrr

Anything more stupid than that!?

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
8 Oct 2013 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kazan said..

Pumped up kite, ready to rock and roll when bar and line bag is found to be corroded!

Bar & Lines bags are totally gay.

lol.

Puetz
NT, 2177 posts
8 Oct 2013 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

... in the same vein,,, got a new bar, with kite fever raced to the beach and rigged it up, had a good hour session having a ball.

Got back to the beach to pass over the kite to the missus, she tells me the bar is upside-down so we get into an arguement and she says she won't take it out.

"Don't tell me about kites,,, I know kites", I say with confidence.

After 10 minutes of heated-ish convincing, she is wrong so, "I'll show you". I stomp off to bar,,,, "I've just used it for an hour".

Ummmm,,,,, hang on,,, oh dear, she was right. I had infact rigged it upside-down!! Sure, it flew fine, I must have ignored the red always on the port side in my kite fever to get out there in a hurry,,, doh!!!!

Moral of the story,,, don't argue with the missus and watch out when you have the fever!

Robbie

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
8 Oct 2013 12:19PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah man. I know... kiting with the Miss is fraught with danger.

Just go with the flow man... she knows. She always knows more than you! LOL

prea
QLD, 184 posts
8 Oct 2013 1:16PM
Thumbs Up

Was really excited wanting to try my new brand new surf board
got to the top of the stairs at the beach, dreaming about upcoming sesh
by the time I had rushed down the stairs I slammed the new board into the post at the bottom creating a major ding
less haste no waste

Supergus
NSW, 305 posts
8 Oct 2013 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

Ha Ha, don't mean to laugh at your miss fortune but that is kinda funny!!!

Plummet
4862 posts
8 Oct 2013 1:04PM
Thumbs Up

I was in a rush to have a quick session. I chose to teather launch in a gusty location. Stupid. I did not check the bar properly and when I launched the kite I didn't hold on to it for a while to see that it was sitting right.... all in the name of rushing.

Anyway I let go of the kite and watched take off and loop directly into the powerzone and drill its self into the ground. Instant 2 piece kite.

Ahhh.

Stupidly one of the steering lines had wrapped around the bar. A 1 second look before letting go would have discovered that...

A very expensive 1 second.

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
8 Oct 2013 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

bummed a lift 200k down the coast for a kite...

forgot my bar...

got stuck with camera duty

pueter66
QLD, 205 posts
8 Oct 2013 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Wind fantastic kite setup good check gear checkup good, launch and big air wait did i check the drawstring on board shorts, epic fail,

snalberski
WA, 857 posts
8 Oct 2013 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pueter66 said..

Wind fantastic kite setup good check gear checkup good, launch and big air wait did i check the drawstring on board shorts, epic fail,

hehehehe

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
8 Oct 2013 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

was boosting for the crowd. boss gets out of one of the cars and waves. i had the flu.....

jackforbes
WA, 530 posts
9 Oct 2013 9:53PM
Thumbs Up

This thread made me chuckle... I've done quite a few - haven't cut through lines yet though, but now I'll feel better if it ever happens knowing someone else has suffered as well!

BennyB12
QLD, 918 posts
10 Oct 2013 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

Had to pull the saftey after putting my kite into a pier, next day I got to the beach and realised I'd left my chicke loop at home. No prob I thought, ill just rig the mechanism to the little ring on the front of the harness that the leash attaches to... What could possibly go wrong???? Well that lasted about 2 minutes till the Velcro gave way under the forces it's not designed for and now I'm permanently unhooked with no leash in 20 kts on a 12!
Yaaaayy!! It all ended with a loft onto the beach, a hyper extended knee on landing and my kite blowing 2 ks down the beach and only stopping because of a lifeguard tower...
Now before all you poo poo saftey heads start up this was a long time ago before instructors and lessons and anyone else kiting at all really...
Good times...

Kazan
QLD, 699 posts
10 Oct 2013 9:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BennyB12 said..
Now before all you poo poo saftey heads start up this was a long time ago before instructors and lessons and anyone else kiting at all really...
Good times...

Kiting has evolved fast hasn't it? Can't wait for laser line kites without actual lines, just steady control and auto piloting systems. Don't laugh, it could happen!

craggers
WA, 475 posts
11 Oct 2013 6:43PM
Thumbs Up

Yes kiting is evolving.... faster than humans. Wont be long and kiters will be extinct and gopro drone kites will be zooming about... freee... freeee... FREEEEE!!! Nyah har har haaarrrrrr...

Ugly
WA, 205 posts
11 Oct 2013 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Got to beach pumped kite ,set up lines ,put on wet suit, when for board, well i found the straps.
Note to self tie board on with straps.
Found board on street verge 50 meters from home.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"A "funny" thing happened on the way to the beach.." started by Kazan