Forums > Kitesurfing General

ACT Kiters?

Created by Melooney > 9 months ago, 7 Jun 2009
Melooney
NSW, 11 posts
8 Jun 2009 12:04AM
Thumbs Up

Hey all.

I have looked through the posts, checked out different sites and am of the very disheartened frame of mind that kiting in Canberra is uncommon and at the best of times poor.

Please let me know if i am wrong or if there is a small group who often does weekend coast trips looking to split the petrol costs with another. I am quite new to the sport but have a solid addiction.

Snowboarding is another hobby, so any snow kiters out there interested in sharing some tips or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mel

windburn
VIC, 37 posts
9 Jun 2009 9:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hey K2,
I've lived in Canboring for nearly a year now and looking to head down the coast as many weekends as I can. Went down a couple of weekends ago. I get weekends off work so your more than welcome to join me.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
9 Jun 2009 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Most ACTers seem to head to the NSW south coast for their dose of sea based kite action.

I often see them at 7 mile beach (gerroa)

tatkins
QLD, 344 posts
9 Jun 2009 1:56PM
Thumbs Up

I was in Canberra (for 1 day) in May and the winds where blowing a solid 20 knots all day. I was wishing i brought my kite and gave it a go on that lake.

Not knowing anything about that lake, is it too shallow? prohibited? too polluted? or just too cold?

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
9 Jun 2009 4:43PM
Thumbs Up

When I was in the army I used to sail on the lake. It was bloody cold if you fell in the water. I have seen some photos of people launching and landing from the park area opposite the old Hospital site. I reckon it would be better just to get down to the coast around Batemans Bay.

Melooney
NSW, 11 posts
9 Jun 2009 5:34PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the messages guys. I look forward to catching some of you down south.

Mattress
NSW, 120 posts
9 Jun 2009 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

I heard that North of Uladallu was better than Batemans Bay. One of my mates who still lives in Canberra was the first to kite in Lake Tuggeranong and Burley Griffin. He only did it once. I think that says enough of what he thought of it. Up around Kiama and Jervis Bay are also great spots, so is Merimbula. Just give Pete from String Monkey a call. He loves bringing new kiters down to HIS local spots.

coastflyer
SA, 582 posts
10 Jun 2009 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

I was in CBR late last year and there were guys kiteboarding nearly every day that I was there. Here's a link to my original post.

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44269&SearchTerms=canberra

blow in
NSW, 103 posts
10 Jun 2009 7:44PM
Thumbs Up

I would have to agree with Matress in regards to kiteboarding in the lakes of Canberra.We did try both lake burley griffin and lake tuggeranong and to be fair we were still very green and riding old c kites.

I was lifted by a gust at tuggeranong nearly hitting the grass, i had to ditch the kite,it ended up majorly jammed in tree along with my lines that were wrapped around every other fkn tree close by.

Dropped my 2002 fuel and couldn't relaunch it in the guts of lake burley,was dragged downwind towards the causeway near the east basin.Swim back was fairly unpleasent.My kite and i stunk of duck sh1t for a week...

I can honestly say considering all this that i wont be kiting in the lakes of Canberra any time soon,sure the wind is dodgey and there is little room for error but most of all the water is absolutley toxic !

The best option for begginer's is to hit the south coast.Merimbula is only an extra 40 mins drive compared to the Bay and is often overlooked.The beaches are awesome and the wind is best from september to late march.

The Bay is also good but appears to be getting a quite busy these days.

I am currently taking bookings for weekend kitesurfing clinics in Merimbula for the start of the 2009/2010 season.

You can contact Pete on 0431 447 496

pete@adrenalinkite.com

http://adrenalinkite.com/

P.S

Mattress has many years of experience flying his B2 trainer on 10 meter lines... and I hear that he is ready for the next big step to 20 meter lines and wish him all the very best !

Mattress
NSW, 120 posts
10 Jun 2009 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Blow in, you are a funny man

Crowds aren't the problem. Kiters who have no idea about how or when to give way are the problem. It must be the lack of round-a-bouts in the ocean.

P.S. U R Gay! (I've had a long day and I can't be any more creative)

Pheebobafet
NSW, 124 posts
11 Jun 2009 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

There is quite a big buggying and land boarding scene out of Canberra. They use that dry lake on the road out to Goulbourn, think it is called Lake George. If you are interested you can contact them through Extreme Kites.

Melooney
NSW, 11 posts
12 Jun 2009 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Some great leads guys. Looks like ill be keeping busy ..... Cheers. Ill put up some posts if i find some good water spots, i don’t think we need to worry about the lakes getting crowded anytime soon.

GalahOnTheBay
NSW, 4188 posts
15 Jun 2009 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

tatkins said...

Not knowing anything about that lake, is it too shallow? prohibited? too polluted? or just too cold?

Actually I thought I heard recently that the lake had been closed to all users because of blue/green algae, even though the levels were still pretty tame.

peanuticus
NSW, 341 posts
15 Jun 2009 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

would anyone like to provide details of kite areas (lakes etc) for the new upcoming nswkba kite locations maps for Canberra and surrounding?

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"ACT Kiters?" started by Melooney