Forums > Kitesurfing General

Advice on Kite Trip To South Africa

Created by Braver > 9 months ago, 12 Aug 2013
Braver
VIC, 5 posts
12 Aug 2013 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hey,

At the end of the year I plan on traveling around the east coast of South Africa From Port Elizabeth to Cape Town and Durban as well.

I have never kited in South Africa and would love some advice and general comments about the trip not limited to what I've thought of below.

1, Safety and security. I have been told that you cant leave anything on the beaches or even visible in your vehicle at the beaches.
2, Best spots.
3, Travel either by 'hope on hope off' backpackers bus (baz bus) or rent a car.
4, Conditions and Equipment, what size kite should I take?
5, Good kite schools or locals happy to show a tourist around more then happy to shout a few cold ones for some good advice.

Any other kiters going to be there?
for the equipment, I am 75kgs and starting to jump and ride toe side.
Thanks guys!!

Prepare
WA, 132 posts
12 Aug 2013 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

You stuff isnt that much safer on you or in your house !

Cape town is probably the only place you can get away without renting a car assuming you get some accommodation across the road form kite beach. Everywhere else you are going to need a car to get to the beach.

I usually traveled with a 12 & 8m however need a 6m for capetown. Will likely be kiting by yourself at a lot of the spots between Durban and CT. PE and Plett you will get some company.

Safety is not as bad as everyone makes out, but different world to Australia. Just plan ahead and confirm next nights accommodation before you leave. Its a long drive and the driving is shocking so take it slow. We used to do 10 days CT and back and have never driven that stretch without driving past at least one fatal accident.

Great kiting. Durban wind like QLD, CT like WA

stamp
QLD, 2770 posts
12 Aug 2013 11:05PM
Thumbs Up

you definitely need to hire a car, even if you only stay in cape town. take a steamer, even in summer. the east coast is great but the western side is much windier. and head down south to the cape itself for some wild and beautiful beaches.

my girl and i were there for 6 weeks and never had any issues with safety or felt threatened (except by wild baboons when we went bush).

awesome country, great people...

ksa5212004
QLD, 10 posts
13 Aug 2013 12:55AM
Thumbs Up

If you going to Durban, try and stay at Ansteys beach Backpackers. It is across the road from the beach, and works well in a NE. You will most likely need an 11 to 14 m kite for that time of year.
try these two Kite shops for more info : ocean2air.co.za/
and www.facebook.com/TsunamiSports?fref=ts

Justhanging
WA, 64 posts
13 Aug 2013 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

This site will give you a good indication on spots, just choose your location - www.kitespotters.co.za/locate.php?AreaID=25&button=GO

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
13 Aug 2013 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

Others have mostly covered it. Baz bus is great service for backpacking round in small hops, very convienient, but a bit slow as it does the milk run, up to nearly twice the time it takes to drive direct. Maybe not so useful for a kite holiday. There are also greyhound buses, freaked me out once they insisted on putting my kite gear under a different coach to the one they put me in, despite massive protest, but it got there and was delivered to my hands when I got off in a small town at 2am.

My 2c. . think carefully about how much you love kiting. There's enough to do in SA without it - just go, eat, drink, safari, dive, bungee, parachute, hike, abseil, whale watch, shark dive, party with backpackers every night and do it all with a carry on bag. Then kite at home. It's worth considering.

Otherwise just go on a kite holiday. Just go Cape Town, stay across from beach, kite. Then go Langebaan, stay on lagoon, kite. Then back CT. Kite. Go home. See rest of SA another time.

NeTRaVeR
NSW, 61 posts
13 Aug 2013 2:47PM
Thumbs Up

As mentioned previously, Durban will require much bigger kites as the winds don't get up nearly as strong as Capetown.

I took my 10m and managed to get one day of kiting down at Southbroom which is 15minutes from Margate on the South Coast. If you plan to drive down the South Coast then go check out Oribi Gorge for the worlds highest kloof swing!

My suggestion is to save the kiting for Capetown as you will get the most out of it there.

Saffer
VIC, 4501 posts
13 Aug 2013 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

Wind is lighter the higher you go up the coast line. Durban has great winter kiting, Cape Town has the best summer. There are lots of great kiting spots between Plettenberg bay and Cape Town so I would do a road trip in that area. Water starts getting cold from that area so take a wetter. You should be able to get away with a 10 and a 7 but Cape Town will be mostly your 7. Wind starts early morning at builds up through the day until it's 35 knots.

Crime - don't walk around at night, don't leave stuff visible in your car, don't leave your key under a tyre or something like that.
Booze - cheap, take advantage of it
Foreigners - generally pretty friendly, but some of the cape town kiters are tired of the euros, much the same as the aussie kiters have become with tourists. short answer is that if you're polite and find out the local rules, nobody will hassle you. If you're arrogant, some of the kiters may feel nothing to throw a punch your way on shore (not that common but does happen)

Phezulu1
WA, 66 posts
13 Aug 2013 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

If you feel like getting a bit off the beaten track get up into Zululand North of Durban-Richards Bay, St Lucia, Cape Vidal and Sodwana. Heaps of wind, good diving, great game reserves, less crowded kiting (although Sodwana gets crowded over Christmas).

I lived there and I kited way more than I do in Perth. St Lucia has quite a few backpacker spots.

Braver
VIC, 5 posts
14 Aug 2013 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys, much appreciated and keep them coming!!

By the sounds of it I might leave the kitting to Cape Town and just tour and surf the east coast. But doubt I'll be able to separate myself from my gear while traveling the coast.

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
15 Aug 2013 7:39AM
Thumbs Up

Th

Select to expand quote
Phezulu1 said..

If you feel like getting a bit off the beaten track get up into Zululand North of Durban-Richards Bay, St Lucia, Cape Vidal and Sodwana. Heaps of wind, good diving, great game reserves, less crowded kiting (although Sodwana gets crowded over Christmas).

I lived there and I kited way more than I do in Perth. St Lucia has quite a few backpacker spots.

That's cos you had no kids.....

Luckynato
2 posts
20 Aug 2013 4:19AM
Thumbs Up

We flew into cape town, hired a car for a week for about $270 Aud, then just drove. Roads are great, average speed is bout 120-150 but there is a side lane you can go slower and keep out of the way if you want. We missioned from cape town to Jefferies bai for surfing in about 7 hrs straight.
Was safe everywhere we went. You just avoid walking anywhere after dark.
Knysna is a beautiful spot with a large flat waterway also, it's about half way to Jefferies bai and Durban is about another 5 hrs from Jefferies I think.

Luckynato
2 posts
20 Aug 2013 4:20AM
Thumbs Up

I've heard Durban is pretty rough though, more dangerous than where we went!

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
20 Aug 2013 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Luckynato said..

We flew into cape town, hired a car for a week for about $270 Aud, then just drove. Roads are great, average speed is bout 120-150 but there is a side lane you can go slower and keep out of the way if you want. We missioned from cape town to Jefferies bai for surfing in about 7 hrs straight.
Was safe everywhere we went. You just avoid walking anywhere after dark.
Knysna is a beautiful spot with a large flat waterway also, it's about half way to Jefferies bai and Durban is about another 5 hrs from Jefferies I think.

Knysna is great I lived and worked there 8 months, best time of my life, literally shed a tear leaving. Have some good mates there to this day.
Lagoon is poo for kiting though, too gusty. Better to drive 15 mins to buffels and kite in the open ocean.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Advice on Kite Trip To South Africa" started by Braver