Forums > Kitesurfing General

Age v Skill relationship...

Created by surfingboye > 9 months ago, 12 Dec 2012
T one
NT, 321 posts
13 Dec 2012 1:59PM
Thumbs Up

to live is to push boundaries, otherwise its just existence...
they dont have to be other peoples expectations, but surely every time you kite, you wanna be a bit better at it??? i sure as hell do...

its an interesting question SB, and one that at 46 i find myself asking more often.
i will let you know when i find the answer
bring on the monsoon

high as a kite
SA, 1312 posts
13 Dec 2012 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

T one said...
they dont have to be other peoples expectations, but surely every time you kite, you wanna be a bit better at it??? i sure as hell do...

its an interesting question SB, and one that at 46 i find myself asking more often.
bring on the monsoon

I agree with you Tony, but I can assure you that the body isn't always agreeable when your heading toward 60.
Doesn't stop me though.
Plenty of time to rest when they nail the lid on and lower me into the ground.

Gorgo
VIC, 4979 posts
13 Dec 2012 3:56PM
Thumbs Up

T one said...

I don't think about it. I always concentrate on what I am doing at the moment and how much fun it is. Over time things ramp up and stuff happens and the excitement level builds. Usually a session happens when I think how fantastically good everything has worked. I don't actively do anything to push any boundaries. I just have fun. The boundaries take care of themselves.

That really applies to most activities. You hear of musicians trying and trying to come up with something new, and failing. Then they relax and get into a groove and make some mistakes and recover and something new comes out of it. It happens time and time again in the arts and sciences and even in sport.

T one
NT, 321 posts
13 Dec 2012 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

"strokes for folks" i guess
i operate a little differently. i always love to get out on the water, but am always wanting to push that little bit more/better/further than i have done before.
It keeps me motivated, and frothin for the next wave/gust/buttery flatness...
having said that... I think that part of the truly great thing about kiting is its wide appeal to many different types of peeps. our local crew are a classic example, ultra diverse, and all sharin the stoke!

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
13 Dec 2012 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

Well most of you know my story now. Been in and out of physiotherapists, chiropractic, damn witch doctors on sorry that's the ortheopeadic surgeons office.

Difference this time is the ankle won't heal. Yet. One to two weeks nor ally settled down and off I went. Although I did miss a Bali surf trip and a grand final footy game along the way.

This time though it is different, and as I turn 40 in April, yep been asking these questions.

Infact it made me scale back from the VX kite to the lithuim, but the lithuim ( an awesome kite), was just too plug and play for me. Hence now the smooth edges.

So yeh it has affected my kite and board choice ( shinn monk for the ankles) and also the way I ride.

Just a fact for me, but this depends. It is how you are built. I stopped playing footy at 27, my bro stopped at 38, but he's built stocky and strong. I am more lean.

So genetics plays a big part I reckon.

But that being all said, if I need to chop this damn foot off and stick a prosthetic on so I can kite, I will!

Plummet
4862 posts
13 Dec 2012 4:38PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...
Well most of you know my story now. Been in and out of physiotherapists, chiropractic, damn witch doctors on sorry that's the ortheopeadic surgeons office.

Difference this time is the ankle won't heal. Yet. One to two weeks nor ally settled down and off I went. Although I did miss a Bali surf trip and a grand final footy game along the way.

This time though it is different, and as I turn 40 in April, yep been asking these questions.

Infact it made me scale back from the VX kite to the lithuim, but the lithuim ( an awesome kite), was just too plug and play for me. Hence now the smooth edges.

So yeh it has affected my kite and board choice ( shinn monk for the ankles) and also the way I ride.

Just a fact for me, but this depends. It is how you are built. I stopped playing footy at 27, my bro stopped at 38, but he's built stocky and strong. I am more lean.

But that being all said, if I need to chop this damn foot off and stick a prosthetic on so I can kite, I will!

got any hard beaches or feilds on your area? you could consider getting a kite buggy and doing some buggying while the foot heals. Your still getting a kiting fix and learning new skills!.

Andrash
WA, 637 posts
13 Dec 2012 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

...perhaps it is about learning new tricks every year vs enjoying the same tricks more every year...
...perhaps it is about adrenaline vs endorphins...
...perhaps it is about age vs maturity...

marty72
QLD, 298 posts
13 Dec 2012 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

I think it goes something like this..... "the older I am the better I was" lol

dbabicwa
WA, 808 posts
13 Dec 2012 6:29PM
Thumbs Up

T one said...

bring on the monsoon

Tony, is it 46 or 42? :)

Must be a typo somewhere:)

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
13 Dec 2012 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

Plummet said...
eppo said...

got any hard beaches or feilds on your area? you could consider getting a kite buggy and doing some buggying while the foot heals. Your still getting a kiting fix and learning new skills!.

Yeh have considered that. But not really we don't get those big tidal beaches here. Nor open areas. Might give it some more thought hey.

jsnfok
WA, 899 posts
13 Dec 2012 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

About 80-85 years old

anoldman
75 posts
13 Dec 2012 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

It's not age or the number of tricks..... It's about having fun.
Christ Brock once said when asked who's the best surfer said "the guy with the biggest grin."

superlizard
VIC, 702 posts
14 Dec 2012 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...
T one said...

I don't think about it. I always concentrate on what I am doing at the moment and how much fun it is. Over time things ramp up and stuff happens and the excitement level builds. Usually a session happens when I think how fantastically good everything has worked. I don't actively do anything to push any boundaries. I just have fun. The boundaries take care of themselves.

That really applies to most activities. You hear of musicians trying and trying to come up with something new, and failing. Then they relax and get into a groove and make some mistakes and recover and something new comes out of it. It happens time and time again in the arts and sciences and even in sport.

Yes, it's true that musicians can sometimes come up with new things when they relax, jam and not try hard. But they can also come up with stuff when they concentrate/focus and work on it.

Are you saying if i go to school/uni and i just have fun and not work hard, eventually things will ramp up and I will gain necessary skills and graduate and get degree etc...? (Wow).

Of if i'm in a job, and i just relax and chill out and enjoy it, i will learn equally same as opposed to actually putting my back into it, setting goals, and committing to the tasks and trying to improve my skills etc??

Sure, i agree if you have fun, and relax, and enjoy kitesurfing, over time you will naturally gain more confidence, skills, experience etc... but the person working hard on it will improve faster and learn more things.

Nevertheless, everyone has their way. If you are happy with your approach you should stick with it. That's the most important thing. I'm happy with mine, and wouldn't do it any other way. The feeling of satisfaction and achievement when you finally nail something you worked hard on is priceless.

prea
QLD, 184 posts
14 Dec 2012 7:36AM
Thumbs Up

"More important to kite tomorrow than a trick today"
PREA

T one
NT, 321 posts
14 Dec 2012 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

anoldman said...
Christ Brock once said when asked who's the best surfer said "the guy with the biggest grin."

thats it for sure.... just different ways of getting there.

Deano, 42 when i joined 4 years ago... fixed that now

Gorgo
VIC, 4979 posts
14 Dec 2012 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

superlizard said...

Are you saying if i go to school/uni and i just have fun and not work hard, eventually things will ramp up and I will gain necessary skills and graduate and get degree etc...? (Wow).

Of if i'm in a job, and i just relax and chill out and enjoy it, i will learn equally same as opposed to actually putting my back into it, setting goals, and committing to the tasks and trying to improve my skills etc??

Perhaps it's just a question of attitude.

Some people see things as difficult and challenging and make a fuss about it ... and make excuses when they fail.

Others just get on and apply persistent, sustainable effort and get the job done without so much noise and fuss. If barriers are encountered along the way you just push a little harder ... or go around them.

superlizard
VIC, 702 posts
14 Dec 2012 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...
Others just get on and apply persistent, sustainable effort and get the job done without so much noise and fuss. If barriers are encountered along the way you just push a little harder ... or go around them.

totally agree with such approach/attitude.

Although when it comes to one's body/age, it comes a time when you can't push much harder, or go around it. It's just a simple reality of life.

knotwindy
42 posts
14 Dec 2012 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

you know that you're over the hill
when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill
Little Feat

OR

if it's too windy, you're too old
me

Guvner
NSW, 18 posts
14 Dec 2012 4:20PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...
Plummet said...
eppo said...

Yeh have considered that. But not really we don't get those big tidal beaches here. Nor open areas. Might give it some more thought hey.

people kite buggy on the rockingham salt lakes

eddiemorgs
QLD, 390 posts
14 Dec 2012 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

It is a personal thing how hard you go, whether you want to learn more to do tricks and push boundaries etc . Back to the strapped /unstrapped , new style/ old style threads .

I have always liked learning any new thing which peaks my interest or due to necessity. Over 5 years - guitar , kiting , a new place to live , new occupation , new friends and various qualifications . ( not particularly good at any ) Each of these can be broken down to adding new tricks to each skill . I can only learn new tricks within each skill at a certain pace .

Kiting with T One am blown away by the energy he puts into it. No bloody holes barred but I think its still calculated within the boundaries of physical capacity .

My approach is lower key - I enjoy flowing moves which don't impact too much on a 51 year body which has copped a pounding from a physical occupation over 30 years. The moves are becoming stonger and better executed as I go .I prefer waves and sb as you get the added adreneline against flat water if you are not into flicky tricks .

And ain't it great watching the groms copping a flogging , then listening to them having a shot at us oldies cause we can't whatever they think they can do and to celebrate with others as they advance their various skills .

It's the vibe of the thing too

ice
VIC, 221 posts
14 Dec 2012 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Age vs skill

If you look at most sports you hit your prime from 25 to 35. Beyond that, your physical capabilities diminish. The more physical the sport, the closer you have to be to 25.

The age versus skill for kiting is clouded for two reasons:

1. the majority of current kiters have taken up the sport past their physical prime, and only a few of them learnt kiting as teenagers
2. kiting equipment has improved significantly over the years. so kiters have improved their skill level because of the better equipment

I took up kiting post my physical prime - at age 40, 7 years ago. Yes, I am a better kiter now at 47 yo than 41 yo, and probably better than I was at age 46 yo.
I love kiting, flat water, surf, light wind and learning new tricks. However, I am sure if I was 25 yo, and I had been kiting for 10 years on 2012 gear, I would be a better kiter.

So for me, at age 47, I am still improving skill wise.

But I reckon most future kiting champs will be in the age of mid 20's - beyond that their performance will diminish.

So to answer the thread topic, I say 25 yo.

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
14 Dec 2012 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

RPM said...
Ask wavelsave..

What is it, RPM ?

Why do you need to get so personal on a public forum ?

Why do you even need to mention my stupid name on this thread ?

Why not just stay on-topic, dude ?

Why not just talk about age versusing skill and so forth ?

lol.

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
14 Dec 2012 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

it's all about the adrenaline rush. I used to get it from kite loops now I get it in surf.
Eppo you should have got some reo's instead of the edges and push your limits in the surf. Even better do it strapless and look after your bung ankle. That being said I will probably be taking the twin tip out over Xmas until something gives way.

Plummet
4862 posts
15 Dec 2012 2:42AM
Thumbs Up

T one said...
"strokes for folks" i guess
i operate a little differently. i always love to get out on the water, but am always wanting to push that little bit more/better/further than i have done before.
It keeps me motivated, and frothin for the next wave/gust/buttery flatness...
having said that... I think that part of the truly great thing about kiting is its wide appeal to many different types of peeps. our local crew are a classic example, ultra diverse, and all sharin the stoke!

I used to be like T one. For years and years i competed at mountain biking. must be the best, I have to win, I must progress, I must put in the hard work, I must and then I will achieve my goals and gain saticfaction. So I trained and trained and did alright at racing. But one day I was riding on my road bike (I Hate road biking) into a head wind (hate head winds) by myself in the rain and I came to a realisation. This is not fun. I have just created another job for myself. So I stopped racing. . . . . . . .

Any way the morell of the story is that the end game or goal should be Fun. That is what you are doing the sport for to have fun!!...

So I no longer have to be the best or learn the latest trick. My goal now is to have the most fun. My aim is to have a 50 session.

The saying goes. When you are in your old age on your death bed you can recall 50 days of your past. Lets say your 88 and the oldest kite surfer in the world and are about to die, what are the days you can recall?

Those sessions are the sessions I want to have.!

I do agree that you need to progress otherwise you plateau. but that progression doesn't need to take the form of I must do the latest and most dangerous trick.

taxi
QLD, 416 posts
15 Dec 2012 7:57AM
Thumbs Up

marty72 said...
I think it goes something like this..... "the older I am the better I was" lol

Gee thats what I use,hehe!! But on saying that my life revolves around on niggling injury's, and i know it will come to a point when this will keep me out of the ocean permanently, I think anyone can improve to high level of surfing, kite surfing till the age of aprox 45,then from that point on it's trying to keep what you got. Look at Slater his 40yr old and still improving at the elite level,at the end of the day it's the return and enjoyment that you get out of kiting no matter what age you are that counts...

birdie919
WA, 82 posts
15 Dec 2012 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

anoldman said...

I think youve just saved my kitesurfing life at 50 years old i was the only one doing american style whoops yesterday doing jumps you could bearly fit a cigarette paper under my board. Even with my torn abbs and dodgy knees.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
15 Dec 2012 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Well going off Kelly it looks as though you're past it when you reach 40.
Now I reckon 80% of the Seabreeze population are over that, soooo....

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Age v Skill relationship..." started by surfingboye