Forums > Kitesurfing General

Airush Pro Toy/Hammer

Created by Flying High > 9 months ago, 30 Sep 2008
Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
30 Sep 2008 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Want a new twintip for surf.
I have read a few reviews on the Pro Toy 135 and Hammer 138, both sound great.
Unfortunately the local shop doesnt have demos. I was wondering which would be better?
The local beach at Narrabeen tends to be a little underpowered with wind (15-20 NE if lucky)
I am 83 Kg, intermediate level with Ozone Sport 13 m. I am not into tricks, mainly free ride, starting jumps and having fun in surf.

Ben De Jonge
WA, 819 posts
30 Sep 2008 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

The Hammer is specifically designed for surf so it's probably your best bet.

The ProToy is a freeride/style board that will do a bit of carving.

If you wana board for surf mostly, the Hammer would make more sense cos that's what it's desiged for.

insomniac_alcoholic
WA, 190 posts
30 Sep 2008 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Gday Flying High,

I've got a Hammer and love it. I originally got it in Geraldton for mucking around in the surf as, like you, I wasn't really into tricks.

The only thing downfall with it is they are a pretty power hungry board. If you're already underpowered you might struggle with the 138 and should probably consider the 144 which are apparently better in the surf anyway.

My 2 cents....Cheers.

felixk
QLD, 312 posts
30 Sep 2008 11:34PM
Thumbs Up

Owned a 135 Protoy. Great board in all conditions; flat water, chop, surf. If I were you i would go for the protoy as they are much more versitile board. They also have great low end but when the wind does pick up the 135 is still very easy to manage and feels smaller than it actually is...

Slack
WA, 685 posts
30 Sep 2008 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Agree with above, they are power hungry so at 83kg you'd be better off on the 144. I have a 138 at 73kg and love it but I also have a 129 Nobile 666 for the flatter water and when the wind isn't blowing enough to power the hammer.

But if you want one all round board the Pro Toy might be better for you if you're going to have just one TT.

T one
NT, 321 posts
30 Sep 2008 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

ive got both, protoy 135 and hammer 144, and as per bens post, they are vastly different boards. the protoy is my everday board, and the hammer is for waves/chop. havnt had the hammer out in decent surf yet, but it nails chop and small waves. it makes carving turns etc a piece of cake. it also is gentler on the knees/ankles in very choppy conditions. i would also suggest the 144.
cheers,

bigmark100
NSW, 584 posts
1 Oct 2008 8:45AM
Thumbs Up

I have a 2006 hammer. its a 138 - I weigh 85, and think I should have gone for a 144.
I sometimes kite at narrabeen so send me a pm if you are interested in trying the board out.

JayP
QLD, 249 posts
1 Oct 2008 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

I ride a 138 hammer have spent some time on a 129 protoy. As they say above, the hammer is a power hungry board and in the winds you ride in the 144 would be the better choice.

if you intend to do any turns on the wave face you should go the hammer, the protoy is too short and too slippery. the protoy is heaps of fun in flat water and is a very efficient board to get planing on.

I ride mostly in the surf zone so the hammer is my regular ride, but i have to say i prefer it for general free riding too, its much more comfortable (stable and locked in) when on the rail and no spray off the nose.

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
1 Oct 2008 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everyone
I think I will opt for the 144 hammer.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Airush Pro Toy/Hammer" started by Flying High