Forums > Kitesurfing General

Alternitive to 2008 F-one Bandits??? 2009 OR Rise?

Created by FlyingPaddy > 9 months ago, 15 May 2010
FlyingPaddy
20 posts
15 May 2010 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

All I can say is the bar pressure is killing me!!!

My left elbow is in bits after a session on these kites. So sore that i can't usually kite the next day.

I have recently started getting reasonably good at kiteboarding and getting allot more time on the water.

The more I'm on the water it seems the more I dislike these kites.

It seem to me to be very hard to keep the The bandits one one position?? I cannot seem to cruse on these kites it keep wanting to fly down to the water.
One hand cruising is out of the question.
The trim straps are way to far for me to reach.
Anyone else find any of these things

Anyways no more whinging.

I am looking for a 2009 quiver (won't be able to afford 2010s :-(

So far I have been really interested in the 2009 Ocean Rodeo Rise
anyone have these or know much about em

What I'm looking for in kites ina nut shell:

-Light bar pressure not zero but light, I would still like to feel the kite
- a kite that will stay in one position when you want it i.e. for crusing in and out one hand riding etc
-I am short wit short arms:-( trim adjustments close to me if possible
-Plenty of power and fast turning kite

Any help or suggestions of other kites would be great

Hope this all makes sense
Thanks

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
15 May 2010 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

I ride liquid Force kites so i have no bias here.

but i got to say i was VERY impressed by the OR rise, much much better than i thought it would be, i generally hate all bridled kites but that was the first one i enjoyed flying, i used it for the core slider jam one day and that kite parked itself perfectly in one position during your hit on the slider, where as my hifi would drift a fair bit.

it boosted pretty big on windier days i tried it and it had heaps of hang time compared to what im used to, bar pressure is pretty light and if you want it to turn it can turn pretty damn quick.

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
15 May 2010 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

I fly Ozone. Love my 10m Light. Love the catalyst. Then I flew a C4. Ain't no better.

features
1. light smooth bar pressure. One hand fingertip operation.
2. excellent build quality
3. short throw in the bar
4. smooth delivery of bar right through loops
5. fast
6. simple 4 line setup
7. no pulleys
8. easy relaunch like all Ozones
9. boost big but not as big as the Ozone Edge
10. cranks up wind
11. No trim strap. Only a simple cleat that works.
12. Flagging line at the bar

Check the reviews on Seabreeze. Not a bad word.
No, I don't work for a dealer. Just a simple user.

That's me at Alva on a C4

KnutH
VIC, 426 posts
15 May 2010 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

I have been flying 09 Rises for over a year.
They certainly have light bar pressure! I used to blast around overpowered one handed for quite a while and never had elbow problems, unlike with my previous kite. Keeping them in position was always a no brainer.
They OR bar has below the bar trim also, which would suit your tiny arms.

You will find lots of reviews about them on the OR forum and kiteforum.com.
They usually emphasize the windrange and boosting capabilities of the Rise..

Personally I have not flown many other kites, but definitely enjoy boosting on the Rises!

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
16 May 2010 3:33PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely try all the ozone range, your arms do no work at all.

picker
VIC, 431 posts
17 May 2010 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

If your arms are getting sore google "gym" and "workout"

Addikt
WA, 551 posts
17 May 2010 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Paddy,

I was reading this and I got me thinking, if like riding a setup with soft bar pressure while it might be easy on the elbows what happens the day you unhook.............?

IvorWindeas
WA, 109 posts
17 May 2010 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Paddy you clearly have your kited rigged up wrong or something. I ride my bandit one handed in the surf and love it. Fast, Easy to steer one handed. Have used rebels and other kites in the past, but none as fast and maunoverable as the bandit. My wife rides a bandit for the very reason that she isn't very strong and likes the low bar pressure.

KnutH
VIC, 426 posts
18 May 2010 11:50PM
Thumbs Up

Sent ya a mail Paddy ;)

FlyingPaddy
20 posts
19 May 2010 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

Ha ha I knew sooner or later I'd get stick for this post

The thing with my elbow It could be from an old injury from work (I'm a plumber)
Your also right maybe I need to work out more ha ha **** I always need that.

Anyways I had been using my 11m quite allot lately then on the weekend I got to break out the 9m It felt totally different bar pressure wasn't as bad I realized I hadn't used the 9m ina while.
Now I'm starting to think I might regret selling the bandits and replacing them with OR Rise

Could I really have the bandits rigged wrong?? I thought it was a no brainer ??

It seems very hard for me to ride one handed for very long 20-30 secs or so kite wants to fly down to the water all the time its very hard to keep it in one spot to cruse ??

When I ride the 11m its "feels like" I'm being pulled by the bar and not the chicken loop "hanging on to the bar. I know what ur thinking "trim it" but the kite doesn't seem to fly right then.
Doesn't feel like this as much on the 9m.

Anyways this seems to be getting very complicated ha ha

Is there any fast powerful kites out there with reasonably low bar pressure???

I am looking into some suggestions other members made

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
19 May 2010 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

LF envy.

but if you hell bent on keeping those F - 1's then take your 11m bar into the shop, might be over / under sheeted or strethed lines etc.

bjw
QLD, 3623 posts
19 May 2010 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh the Envy is a really nice kite. The Griffin range has a super light bar too.
Also the Naishes but I dont know anything about their delta.

xgamer
4 posts
20 May 2010 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

The past few years FONE kites have had two different length depower ropes that you can use to bring the depower strap closer or further away. Your arms might be short, but if you are useing the longer of the two ropes it would be making it a lot worse. This link does a fairly good job of showing the difference ;)

www.f-one.world/

If after fitting the shorter rope you find its still too far to reach comfitably, you could swap out your 08 chicken loop for the 2010 loop and that will bring everything a further 7-8cm closer to you.
Check your line lengths and rig your kite back to std settings should eliminate the falling kite issue ( 08 / 09 fone kites were'nt happy too far from std settings ).
If that does'nt get your sorted, the 2010's are realy nice, so beg borrow grovel at your local riding spot till you find something newer that fits your needs.

hotballs
VIC, 114 posts
20 May 2010 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

hello paddy
i tried the OR rise and thought it was fantastic, till i looked at it. f*$#ckin ugly, but really nice to use.
i have the current slingshot octanes which are great to use and look at but are piss weak in construction.already waiting on my 3rd replacement in 4 months.
the flexifoil ion3 might be right down your alley as well, very light bar pressure, nimble and very strong but not the prettiest kite either

Slack
WA, 685 posts
20 May 2010 11:06AM
Thumbs Up

hotballs said...

hello paddy
i tried the OR rise and thought it was fantastic, till i looked at it. f*$#ckin ugly, but really nice to use.
i have the current slingshot octanes which are great to use and look at but are piss weak in construction.already waiting on my 3rd replacement in 4 months.
the flexifoil ion3 might be right down your alley as well, very light bar pressure, nimble and very strong but not the prettiest kite either

Yeah I'd much rather have a kite that looks good with piss weak construction than one that’s fantastic but ugly…..Not

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Alternitive to 2008 F-one Bandits??? 2009 OR Rise?" started by FlyingPaddy