Anyone ever been here?

Created by Mikedobee > 9 months ago, 21 May 2012
Mikedobee
NSW, 331 posts
21 May 2012 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hello humans,

Just wondering if anyone ever been here

DURANKULAK in Bulgaria. Apparently they have pretty good winds.

Let us know if anyone can share any tips or anything like that.

Cheers,
Mike

Aseela
WA, 168 posts
21 May 2012 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

shouldn't be too expensive!

Mark _australia
WA, 22387 posts
21 May 2012 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like the kind of place where are hot Bulgarian chicks everywhere so you are stoked, and then it ends up like that movie Hostel

Bertie
NSW, 1351 posts
21 May 2012 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

ive got a bunch of bulgarian kite friends.
They all kite at burgas i think when in bulgaria.
Most hit up Limnos island in greece for holidays (where i used to work) or go the lefkarda island (spelling is wrong i think).

The impression i get is the wind in bulgaria isnt that good.
But yes many of the chick are quite hot, and the prices of everything is super cheap in particular alcohol. like $12AUD for a bottle of genuine JD.

Boyler
NSW, 94 posts
21 May 2012 8:28PM
Thumbs Up

Only ever snowboarded in Bulgaria and it is really good fun and when I went donkeys years ago it was super cheap.
Sorry not much help

Mikedobee
NSW, 331 posts
21 May 2012 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

Thanks indeed for the replies.

The thing is I live here - Siriu Romania (please see below), it's an absolutely awesome lake, great location, but barely ever windy. That's why I was looking for places no further than 300 KM so I could drive there for 2 windy days and then back to my hometown.
I really don't understand why isn't it windy in that place.
Probably the area is so ****ty that even the wind chooses to avoid it :)))))) I am so racist :)

Please

Mikedobee
NSW, 331 posts
21 May 2012 10:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

The thing is I live here - Siriu Romania (please see below), it's an absolutely awesome lake, great location, but barely ever windy. That's why I was looking for places no further than 300 KM so I could drive there for 2 windy days and then back to my hometown.
Probably the area is so ****ty that even the wind chooses to avoid it :)))))) I am so racist :)

Please

RPM
WA, 1549 posts
22 May 2012 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Are you asking why the wind doesn't hit it? Look around at the 4 mountains each side..

When you have an idea about how wind works you will have your answer.

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
22 May 2012 11:18AM
Thumbs Up

You do get a fair bit of wind on some of the Euro lakes, like lake Garda in northern Italy, its usually a thermal effect, the water is icey cold from the melting snow in spring. and the surrounds heat up to 30+ during the day. Blows in one direction in the morning and changes around in the arvo.

Bertie
NSW, 1351 posts
22 May 2012 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Check out surf club keros, and also sirocco surf school on limnos island. More expensive than bulgaria coz the euro but still cheap. Pretty close too. I met a Romanian dude there last year.

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
22 May 2012 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Mikedobee said...

Hi all,

Please

Sometimes you just have to concede defeat on location and take up different sports I reckon mate! To guarantee decent winds from where you live you would have to head down to Greece or Turkey - solid drive from Romania...

Mikedobee
NSW, 331 posts
22 May 2012 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

I do have an idea how the wind works, that's exactly why I am surprised. The difference between the air temp and the water temp should create pressure.

Plus, I am also surprised because 10-15 years ago, it was super windy 50% of the time. At that time I used to get the ****s with it, because I couldn't go fishing.

Thanks anyway for your answer,
Mike

RPM said...

Are you asking why the wind doesn't hit it? Look around at the 4 mountains each side..

When you have an idea about how wind works you will have your answer.

Mikedobee
NSW, 331 posts
22 May 2012 4:46PM
Thumbs Up

That's a bit too far for me cause I won't stay to long in Romania.

Bertie said...

Check out surf club keros, and also sirocco surf school on limnos island. More expensive than bulgaria coz the euro but still cheap. Pretty close too. I met a Romanian dude there last year.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
22 May 2012 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

Mikedobee said...

Hi all,

Please

Sometimes you just have to concede defeat on location and take up different sports I reckon mate!

completely agree. That looks like a nice place, plenty of hills. There is probably some sweet trails to mountain bike/board down around there.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Anyone ever been here?" started by Mikedobee