Forums > Kitesurfing General

Anyone in Rotto this week to give me a hand?

Created by SimonDreyer > 9 months ago, 27 Jan 2014
SimonDreyer
WA, 82 posts
27 Jan 2014 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Folks
I am a newby to kiting and am heading to Rotto tomorrow for five days. If anyone will be there that would be willing to give me a hand launching etc. as well as any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. I can teach you to play guitar in return :-)
Cheers Simon

Poida
WA, 1916 posts
27 Jan 2014 8:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Simon
Ill be at salmon bay around 1pm if your keen
Ps have you had any lesson s

Slack
WA, 685 posts
27 Jan 2014 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Simon, Rotto is a great place to kite for competent kiters and not a great place to learn.

Salmon Bay is the pick of the bays in the S or SW winds forecast this week but they will be predominantly on shore.
Take care as the dunes will cause your kite to behave erratically, try and keep the kite over the water and away from them and be prepared to hit the QR.

Definitely dont kite alone if you are not proficient at self-launching and landing so aim to meet up with Poida and he will assess whether you should kite or not (experience and suitable kite).

Enjoy & stay safe
Slack

SimonDreyer
WA, 82 posts
28 Jan 2014 10:20AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Poida

I'll try to get there, even if just to check it out and say hello. I am probably not at the required level yet.
I haven't had professional lessons but have been taught by an experienced kiter in a very methodical and structured way. I have done the training kite, all the theory, practiced kite control, body dragging, water starts and can get up and ride, but that's about it :-)

Cheers S

SimonDreyer
WA, 82 posts
30 Jan 2014 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hi All, a HUGE thanks to Poida for giving me a hand and a lot of good advise at Rotto yesterday. I managed to get my body dragging to a point where I could return to where I started :-). I also managed to see my kite fly as it was intended, just a shame it wasn't me at the bar!
Thanks again.
Now is there anyone else here?, Poida has to return to reality today :-)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Anyone in Rotto this week to give me a hand?" started by SimonDreyer