Forums > Kitesurfing General

Are fins just training wheels??

Created by dave...... > 9 months ago, 4 Jan 2011
dave......
WA, 2119 posts
4 Jan 2011 10:54PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting topic by the waveslave master, so how about fins on twin-tips?

"......* Twin-tipper talking to twin-tipper :
"When I get a waveboard, I'll be able to ride waves properly."

* Strapped guy talking to strapped guy :
"When I get rid of the straps, I'll be able to ride waves properly."

* Strapless guy talking to strapless guy :
"When I get rid of the kite, I'll be able to ride waves properly."

lol.", WAVESLAVE...

Seen many articles recently on fins and are they worthless, unless in chop in regards to going upwind. Mark shinn did a perspective on fins, 4 riders or varying ability, 4 boards exactly the same and all different fins and or course a control.... A board with no fins.

You hold an edge not a fin and some of the newer boards with 3D flex feel more like snowboards. The rider who could go upwind the best rode upwind regardless of the fin configuration.
Lou Wainnman(?SP) also recently hetalked about in ideal conditions fins are a restriction as it prevents you from landing sideways out of a crazy trick.
look at awake, unhooked and any that have been posted...?

PsYLoR
QLD, 927 posts
5 Jan 2011 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

I use 1.8cm high fins on a flat non channel board.
IMO around 3cm high fins for a TT max, less if the board has channels. chop them down.
fins are only good for a little bit of direction as you pop and as you land, the rest of the time they aren't really needed.

axis
VIC, 399 posts
5 Jan 2011 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

yup, use 0.75" fins on a pretty flat board (small concave in middle). Rode it for about 9 months only on 1 fin and got used to it - find that I pop better with fins and they stop me sliding out too much landing but the small fins are also forgiving with mediocre landings.

myusernam
QLD, 6126 posts
5 Jan 2011 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

dave...... said...

Interesting topic by the waveslave master, so how about fins on twin-tips?

"......* Twin-tipper talking to twin-tipper :
"When I get a waveboard, I'll be able to ride waves properly."

* Strapped guy talking to strapped guy :
"When I get rid of the straps, I'll be able to ride waves properly."

* Strapless guy talking to strapless guy :
"When I get rid of the kite, I'll be able to ride waves properly."

lol.", WAVESLAVE...

Seen many articles recently on fins and are they worthless, unless in chop in regards to going upwind. Mark shinn did a perspective on fins, 4 riders or varying ability, 4 boards exactly the same and all different fins and or course a control.... A board with no fins.

You hold an edge not a fin and some of the newer boards with 3D flex feel more like snowboards. The rider who could go upwind the best rode upwind regardless of the fin configuration.
Lou Wainnman(?SP) also recently hetalked about in ideal conditions fins are a restriction as it prevents you from landing sideways out of a crazy trick.
look at awake, unhooked and any that have been posted...?

i sort of agree with the fins but do think they help when unweighting and then weighting edge (like when boosting as ^^ said)

as an aside do these flexy snowboard boards that bend into the water take a lot of power? More rocker = less efficient = more power.
If you can get away with a stiffer board but with fins then I would take the stiffer board

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
5 Jan 2011 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Agree.

Certainly board contours and rocker help also when riding fin-less. Definitely do not need those 4cm+ monstrosities they put on stock boards with high profile.

Trant
NSW, 601 posts
5 Jan 2011 12:56PM
Thumbs Up

Fins help with pop, landing and holding your edge in chop. That's been my experience anyway, try finless sometime at your beach.

Gorgo
VIC, 4988 posts
5 Jan 2011 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

Fins are unnecessary if you have perfect technique, but nobody has perfect technique all the time in all conditions.

Upwind and fast riding is easy and more efficient without fins messing up the water flow.

Setting an edge to boost or carve a perfect toeside turn can be done but if you're a little off then you will spend more time crashing or sliding out or doing lame little pops. Fins make life much easier in those circumstances.

the gibbo
WA, 776 posts
5 Jan 2011 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

the ultimate kiter = strapless/finless/brainless

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
5 Jan 2011 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Gorgo said...

Fins are unnecessary if you have perfect technique, but nobody has perfect technique all the time in all conditions.

Upwind and fast riding is easy and more efficient without fins messing up the water flow.

Setting an edge to boost or carve a perfect toeside turn can be done but if you're a little off then you will spend more time crashing or sliding out or doing lame little pops. Fins make life much easier in those circumstances.

Totally, training wheels are necessary in many conditions.
Yes it makes it much easier to load and pop. One of the key mistakes I see many people make is they overload before pop and get more horozontal pop than vertical. It is easy to correct as when the fins are taken off and poor technique is used, riders do their first proper S-Bend unintentionally. After a half an hour of just loading and popping on butter water with no fins will actually increase your vertical pop after the trainer wheels go back on.

Was at work today, watching AWAKE, FLUID, and TEN-4. Lou Wainnman riding a 2 line kite, a board about 124cm with no fins going beserk at kitebeach... The dude makes the video look like it is in fast foward...

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Are fins just training wheels??" started by dave......