Forums > Kitesurfing General

BALI KITING

Created by amras > 9 months ago, 15 Jun 2010
amras
WA, 31 posts
15 Jun 2010 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

hey gys me and my mate just need to pick some brains on kiting in bali never done it before so just need some advice, were thinking off just taking our kites and hireing boards over there. Where staying in legian does anyone know some good spots close toor a decent drive dosnt matter were just super keen for a kite.

michel
NSW, 410 posts
16 Jun 2010 7:08AM
Thumbs Up

Sanur is the closest place to kite this time of year,not super windy tho,there is a guy that has a kite school there,(he has quite a good set up)and im pretty sure he will hire you a board,there is flat water on the inside of reef or you can head out to the surf,few hundred m out.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
16 Jun 2010 9:09AM
Thumbs Up

michel said...

Sanur is the closest place to kite this time of year,not super windy tho,there is a guy that has a kite school there,(he has quite a good set up)and im pretty sure he will hire you a board,there is flat water on the inside of reef or you can head out to the surf,few hundred m out.

can it be kited at low tide inside with a surfboard(ie big fins?)

hosh
WA, 236 posts
16 Jun 2010 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

No the inside has patchy reef . You can't kite it on a twin tip with short fins.

KBM
QLD, 223 posts
16 Jun 2010 10:15AM
Thumbs Up

Check out this site
http://www.bali-kitesurfing.org/index.html-------go to the bottom of page

Jankie has posted my article from KBM there -

or there is an article on the SEAbreeze - in articles I wrote a while ago

I reckon you may be too early for trades but you may be lucky-

Jankie has good gear to rent -

if there is no wind go Supping its a great spot -
or get a massage o get some BINTANG

Have fun - We are there in 5 weeks - I cant wait

Bruce

xtortya
WA, 322 posts
16 Jun 2010 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

I will be there in 5 weeks as well. Bring on good wind, swell and bintangs.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
16 Jun 2010 11:46AM
Thumbs Up

This season is gonna be below average. Go late as possible...(Late August).
Bali tips:
1) be flexible. Wake up and it there's no wind, do something else.It wont pick up.
2) Kites: dont bother anything smaller than 10m.12m for twin-tips.
3)Boards. Surfboard: I usually ride a bigger/wider board in bali. Better upwind in marginal conditions, wind is cross-cross off so no chop to make a bigger board bounce.
4)Sanur has currents, so watch your board.
5)Push yourself: the west side is cross-off to cross-shore. get some mates and have a good back-up plan.
6) When negotiating a bemo or getting a taxi, look inside for a bamboo offering on the dashboard. (Disclaimer: this is not intended to be racist whatsoever). These guys are local. Others are owned by Javanese. The locals are nicer, and dont drive you around in circles. For day trips get a Bemo and book it for the whole day. If the driver is cool, tip him and use the same driver for your kite adventures.
7) Getting through Kuta and beyond in peak hour to get to the west side is a killer, travel in non peak periods.
8)Watch out for crazy euros on waves, they have absolutely no wave ettiquite.
9)Dont even bother checking the wind forecast, but know the tides.
10)Kuta sucks....

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
16 Jun 2010 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Hello everyone..
Just 2 things to add...

1- We have now a weather station in Sanur.
You can see what the wind is doing on real time just by going to my home page.
The readings are pretty accurate as the station is some 30 meters high.

2- We have a Face Book group "kitesurf Bali" where I write a daily report of the wind conditions.

Bye Jankie

au_rick
WA, 752 posts
17 Jun 2010 11:29AM
Thumbs Up

seriously, why go to Bali to kitesurf ?
WA has awesome kiting, go there to surf, or to scuba, or to party, but to Kite ??

amras
WA, 31 posts
17 Jun 2010 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

kitesurfbali said...

Hello everyone..
Just 2 things to add...

1- We have now a weather station in Sanur.
You can see what the wind is doing on real time just by going to my home page.
The readings are pretty accurate as the station is some 30 meters high.

2- We have a Face Book group "kitesurf Bali" where I write a daily report of the wind conditions.

whats ur website bro ill check it out how far is sanur from legian drives times?

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
18 Jun 2010 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

KBM already gave it to you...
Legian-Sanur about 45 minutes.
Maybe use Google, not aloud to post a web site in here.
Bali Kitesurfing!
Bye Jankie

Ryland
WA, 1222 posts
19 Jun 2010 3:36PM
Thumbs Up

here it is www.bali-kitesurfing.org/index.html

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
20 Jun 2010 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

I agree that Bali is not the best place on Earth to kite... But if you were here in the last 3 days you would had a blast...
I just come back for lunch and running down to the beach for today Sunday Kite Race...
Have a look at the wind chart from our station!
Bye Jankie

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
22 Jun 2010 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

The tradies have finally arrived this week. 1 month late........ 16-23 knots over the next week.

People think Bali is just for surf..................It is....kitesurf.

Jankie will be happy..........

kitesurfbali
WA, 531 posts
22 Jun 2010 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

I'm always happy....
If there is no wind I go SUP.. If there is wind i go Kite!!!!
Today double session... Sanur in the morning and Canggu in the afternoon always on my 9m C4...
For sure days like this do not happen that much but who care!!

Tomorrow looking good again!!!

Buzz
NSW, 319 posts
23 Jun 2010 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

8)Watch out for crazy euros on waves, they have absolutely no wave ettiquite.

... Jankie's not a euro is he ??? LOL .... ahhh, but not crazy ...

Buzz
NSW, 319 posts
23 Jun 2010 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

au_rick said...

seriously, why go to Bali to kitesurf ?
WA has awesome kiting, go there to surf, or to scuba, or to party, but to Kite ??

WA has got some unreal waves as well ... more uncrowded than bali

I love Bali too, don't get me wrong, as I have been going back at least 2-3 times per year, every year since i was first there in '78. Great surf, but seriously it's a joke now with the crowds and attitude.

To surf my favourite reef break, i have to get up an hour or so before sunrise - drive there and be in the water just as the sun rises, JUST to get some waves with only a few others out, before the maddening crowds arrive half an hour later.

To surf the great beach-breaks right in front of my joint, you just have to cope with crowds. All the friggin' surf schools cashing in on 'surfing', with 'gangs' of sometimes 20 + students, hot locals practicing to become surf stars (with very serious attitudes), a myriad of euros, aussies, yanks, brazil nuts etc. - both ex-pats living there, and tourists. Last year I was paddling for a wave, and a couple of Javo's (new breed of locals) - learning how to surf - sitting 20 mtrs outside me - calling guys off waves and warning them not to paddle for 'em. It's a joke, and not to be taken seriously surfing these days in most spots in bali. I've seen too many guys get punched-out by these hot 'new' locals. Granted, there are times when you get a break or that fav reef spot to yourself and a coupla others, but these days are rare indeed now.

Kiting has'nt really hit-it-off big there because it is pretty flukey wind-wise, but if you pick the right spot when the trades are blowing, it can be really good ... and most times STILL uncrowded .....

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"BALI KITING" started by amras