Forums > Kitesurfing General

Backinjury and kitesurfing

Created by jhummelt > 9 months ago, 28 May 2009
jhummelt
WA, 4 posts
28 May 2009 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hey

I've just come out of hospital as I had surgery on my lower back - a herniated disk.
Not so much fun... so excited about kiting in europe this winter (European summer). Unfortunately the doc told me that I should forget about the sport which sh**ts me.

Does anyone have experience with kiting and an injured lower back?

Was thinking it might be better with a seat harness and forget about the waist harness?? No jumping just cruising??

Thanks for some feedback.
Jules

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
29 May 2009 12:10AM
Thumbs Up

Bad news - sorry to hear it.
Wouldnt go being too pessimistic straight off. Give it its healing time - whatever they say - then try kiting again.
I have an old injury at L3 which doesnt bother me at all when kiting as long as I wear a seat harness. But a waist doesnt work for me at all.
If you do all the right things - physio, workout etc to build the muscle around the injury - AND imo definitely get onto glucosamine (powder with msn & chondroiton) you may find yourself kiting, even jumping? again.
Faith & hope and keep smiling

jhummelt
WA, 4 posts
29 May 2009 1:00AM
Thumbs Up

Ta

I've been reading some forums and peoples backpain generally seems to improve from kiting.. SMILE

i guess strong chore muscles and no waves to start out with should be okay
might give it a shot with those supplements

SammyJ
WA, 570 posts
29 May 2009 1:18AM
Thumbs Up

Hi jhummelt,

Give yourself 6 months, take the rehabilitation seriously and you'll be back on the water without any drama at all. Kiting will strenghten and help your back in the long run.

I had my operation in 2005 and kiting has not aggrevated yet. Saying that I don't do freestyle dangle stuff, maybe some rolls here and there but mainly only kite waves.

I used the seat harness initially which was fine for about 6 months then got a waist harness and would never go back.

Your Doc sounds like an arse, there's no reason not to go back and slowy get back into it once a physio says your right.

Good luck

loco4olas
NSW, 1516 posts
29 May 2009 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Your doctor is the professional so I'm not posting to second guess him (or dis him)-BUT I ahve 2 herniated discs in my back L5/S1 and have been kiting for about 8 years-in periods when I DON'T kite (when there's no wind) I find my back gets sore-when I kiteheaps my back feels solid and NO pain at all-from that I have surmised that for me kiting HELPS my back-I think it really works your abs, abductors, psoas etc and this then strengthens your trunk and therefore provides support and strength for your lower back (all layperson's deductions from personal experience) and 'magically' no pai.

So, I reckon give the area time to heal-do as much physical activity as you can and work on strengthening your trunk and then go for it-let pain be your guide.

2 cents worth.....

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
29 May 2009 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

I would have to agree with that. I had a monster face first down the hill stack in the snow just before Christmas - over arched my back. I still carry that injury but it definitely improved when I returned to Melbourne and was riding 3-4 times a week. And it has got worse since the regular seabreezes has stopped.

The common thinking these days is that exercise is the best thing for a back injury, as long as you aren't pushing things too hard and making your injury worse.

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
29 May 2009 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Ahh, ja ja. Same for me as loco4olas. Same 2 discs smashed and loads and loads of strife and pain at times, but consistent exercise, (work on those abs!) physio and when necessary some "V-squared" (Voltaren and Valium) will usually calm things down and get you back into action after a while.

Key thing I've learned is that if you have inflammation (e.g., sore back and extreme tenderness at the site), get on the anti-inflamatories for a week or so--if you are stiff and have trouble moving and back's not tender then get to the physio straight away and get em to loosen ya up.

Have also noticed that the higher your spreader bar sits, the more likely you are to get back pain. A seat harness will obviously fix that but then riding toeside is almost impossible. Just make sure your spreader bar stays low.

With the right balance of all those you'll be able to keep kiting (and jumping and surfing) nearly forever!

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
29 May 2009 1:47PM
Thumbs Up

I have Spondylolysis and Spondylolisthesis of the Lumbar Spine and a fractured vertebrae, which means I am in constant pain and have a very stiff lower back. I am 36 and still surf everyday and kite too. Voltaren works for me to slow pain and inflammation, also loads of stretching. My doctor and physio e.t.c. reckon I should not be kiting, which is a load of old bollox I reckon. You only live once so get out there and enjoy yourself mate!

Surfer62
1357 posts
29 May 2009 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Kiting relieves my back pain, prolapsed disc 9 years ago, plays up regulary, the stretch effect from kiting helps, pumping up kite not so good.

Both my GP and Physio agree that if it relieves pain ( may be just the placebo adrenaline effect ! ) do it.

Current treatment is traction once a week with physio and I've started pilates as well which is making a big positive effect on my core strength.

Voltaren 50 used sparingly for the bad days.

Stay active

bermand
WA, 247 posts
29 May 2009 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

G'day jhummelt
I had massive prolapse with large extruded segment at L4-5, my surgery was on the 23/12/2008. My spinal orthopaedic surgeon instructions were that I could do almost anything after 12 weeks. It obviously depends on type of surgery, fitness prior to surgery and the condition of your other discs. I probably got back a bit too soon after about 9 weeks. I mainly cruised with a surfboard and small kite but did get out in serious wind upto 25 knots. I have done a lot of physio and am now back in the gym, with light weights. finding the right seat harness is important, honestly I am still not happy with mine.
If your case was similar to mine you probably will have no issue getting back into kiting. If you are concerned about what your doc said pm me and I will give you the name of the surgeon who is very highly regarded in Perth to get a second opinion about your back and getting back into kiting.

AFL footballers get back to footy after 12 weeks after this type of injury eg Jason Winderlich from Essendon. Bear in mind we have a slightly increased risk of further disc injury than the gen population anyway.

Anyway good luck with your recovery, walk as much as you can, I am sure you will be fine to resume kiting sooner than you think.

Wanga F One
QLD, 231 posts
29 May 2009 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

jhummelt said...

Hey

I've just come out of hospital as I had surgery on my lower back - a herniated disk.
Not so much fun... so excited about kiting in europe this winter (European summer). Unfortunately the doc told me that I should forget about the sport which sh**ts me.

Was thinking it might be better with a seat harness and forget about the waist harness?? No jumping just cruising??

Jules

Wanga F One
QLD, 231 posts
29 May 2009 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

jhummelt said...

Hey

Jules

yeah dude had same thing two years ago which inspired my to kite and never looked back.but can really sometimes feel the limatations ie the bit of a jerk changing direction and taking off ,the real killer can be stepping in those little pot holes but great for that core strength and the soul.do the pelvic floor excersises religiously ya might think its gay but it is the key.

GanzoGirl
WA, 35 posts
29 May 2009 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jhummelt,

Please stay positive and if you are not happy with the advice and support from your doctor / surgeon then maybe seek a second opinion.

I had a sudden prolapsed disc L4/L5 that partially paralysed my leg, I had a dicectomy to remove the disc. The recovery was very slow, I was given a programme from my physio from day one and stuck to it religiously. I was back kiting maybe 3 to 6 months after (it was 5 years ago so forget a little!!).

I now kite as much as I can (wind & work permitting), cycle, run, do body pump and body balance (for core stability). I use a waist harness. I am not a sh**t hot kiter but my back is happy doing front, back rolls & jumps (that appear really high to me !

Funnily enough the only time I get pain is when I drive for long distances and don't excersise ie sitting on my butt is very bad for MY back

Everyones case is different but my surgeon in the UK was really positive and just hinted that maybe I shouldnt jump out of a plan which is cool with me as I now have any excuse!!

I think if you can get a rehab programme from your physio you should hopefully get the green light to be back on the water soon.

Take care of your core

GanzoGirl
WA, 35 posts
29 May 2009 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

I guess I should spell check my posts next time!! Am in a hurry at work!
.....there is light and wind at the end of the tunnel

jhummelt
WA, 4 posts
29 May 2009 5:59PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks heaps - HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

might just have to find nice guys who will pump up my kite, helps being a girl

J K

Hunter S
WA, 516 posts
29 May 2009 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Regarding pumping - no doubt you won't have any trouble getting help.

But for ugly old bastards like me this works

I pulled half the valves out of my pump so that it only works on the down stroke. Yeah it takes a little longer to pump up - but heaps easier on your back. Try it Gives a good back warmup before your session too

TOAD
NSW, 305 posts
29 May 2009 10:49PM
Thumbs Up

Don't worry about what doctors say , they don't really live in the real world . You will be kiteing before you know it .. Don;t believe anyone that says carn't .. No such word ... Go for it

Fooosh
WA, 563 posts
30 May 2009 5:36PM
Thumbs Up

loco4olas said...

Your doctor is the professional

... and he has to look out for his professional indemnity insurance. Really. He isn't going to advise you to go anywhere near anything that may damage your spine if you ask him. Try asking him if it is ok to sit at your computer desk for 8hrs a day cause it's your job [}:)]

Agree with listening to your bod - it will need some time to heal and rehab.

There are 'conventional' (voltaren, docs, physio, etc) and 'alternative' (chiro, acupuncture) options and I believe each of us need to look at the full picture, ask / listen and make some decisions on our recovery and future activities ourselves.

Good luck and good patience (and bad winds in the meantime!!)

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
31 May 2009 9:10PM
Thumbs Up

I'm going to open a can of worms here, but here goes...

www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227101-100-what-you-should-know-about-chiropractic/?ignored=irrelevant

For the record, physios are are the go if you want your back problems resolved. If you like continuously paying money out for the rest of your life, then by all means, chiropractors.

Yeah, I know, now we're gonna see a whole string of posts in defense of chiropractors, but for my 2 cents worth, they are in the business of keeping you on their books, not resolving your back problems...

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
1 Jun 2009 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

Robbo, an ex of mine is a physio and she used to be very disparaging of Chiros. She basically said they treat the symptoms not the cause and the more you use them, the more treatment you need from them.

A Chiro may make you feel better straight away but it tends to be short term, whereas a physio can put you through a lot of pain to correct your physical problem, and the results are not always immediate. However the treatment is aimed at treating and recovery, meaning that you will not need to repeatedly go to the chiro.

Physios tend to give you exercises which you need to do in your own time, and the course of treatment requires some self discipline! A lot of people think that physios are a waste of time because they don't feel better straight away and they get sent home with all these exercises to do!

Re-edited - my post is meant to recommend going to a physio, not to a Chiro!

Surfer62
1357 posts
1 Jun 2009 10:03AM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

Robbo, an ex of mine is a physio and she used to be very disparaging of Chiros. A Chiro makes you feel better straight away, whereas a physio can put you through a lot of pain to correct your physical problem, and the results are not always immediate.

Physios tend to give you exercises which you need to do in your own time, and the course of treatment requires some self discipline!

My experience with a chiro,

1st appointment I tell him GP diagnosed a prolapsed disc, he sits me down to a 45 min video (of an american talking **** about his treatment and that this well informed chiro has permission to use his special processes) chiro leaves room, comes back 15 mins after video finished and asks me to make another appointment, no examination.

2nd appointment first question is, I forgot to ask you is it TAC or workcover ? Workcover, ( his eyes lit up like spotlights ) ok you will need 6mths of treatment and 1 year of maintenance (still yet to diagnose degree of problem) runs a wand connected to a laptop ( as per video ) over my back and prints out a glossy graphs which he interprets whilst frowning and says its worse than he thought (note he still hasnt physically examined me or asked symptoms) asked me to bring any xrays etc to next visit.

3rd visit looks at xrays, says he cant make out injury so he will have to have more taken by his clinic, still no treatment and asks me to make 4th appointment for xrays, asks me to bring in documents confirming workcover claim.

4th appointment dont even speak to him, xrays done

5th appointment, yes his xrays confirm what his laptop tells him (of course) much worse than he thought, will need twice weekly treatment, asks for workcover claim again. This is now three weeks of ongoing pain and still no actual treatment, made 6th appointment.

6th appointment, no show, I'm not that dumb!

What a total tosser, couldnt see past the cash cow ie workcover.

Went to physio, immediate professional treatment and recovery over time.

Go to a Chiro again? no farkn way.

Cezar
VIC, 270 posts
1 Jun 2009 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

You have to be very naive, very misinformed or very silly to look for help from those bloodsuckers.
On more optimistic note -kitesurfing is definetly great for your back and its wellbeeing, unless you had it broken in more than 2 places but who knows could be OK as well, just cant say myself since mine broke only in 2.
Cheers

Wanga F One
QLD, 231 posts
1 Jun 2009 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

what lostinlondon said

coastalkombi
VIC, 93 posts
1 Jun 2009 11:04PM
Thumbs Up

Surfer62 said...

lostinlondon said...

Robbo, an ex of mine is a physio and she used to be very disparaging of Chiros. A Chiro makes you feel better straight away, whereas a physio can put you through a lot of pain to correct your physical problem, and the results are not always immediate.

Physios tend to give you exercises which you need to do in your own time, and the course of treatment requires some self discipline!

My experience with a chiro,

1st appointment I tell him GP diagnosed a prolapsed disc, he sits me down to a 45 min video (of an american talking **** about his treatment and that this well informed chiro has permission to use his special processes) chiro leaves room, comes back 15 mins after video finished and asks me to make another appointment, no examination.

2nd appointment first question is, I forgot to ask you is it TAC or workcover ? Workcover, ( his eyes lit up like spotlights ) ok you will need 6mths of treatment and 1 year of maintenance (still yet to diagnose degree of problem) runs a wand connected to a laptop ( as per video ) over my back and prints out a glossy graphs which he interprets whilst frowning and says its worse than he thought (note he still hasnt physically examined me or asked symptoms) asked me to bring any xrays etc to next visit.

3rd visit looks at xrays, says he cant make out injury so he will have to have more taken by his clinic, still no treatment and asks me to make 4th appointment for xrays, asks me to bring in documents confirming workcover claim.

4th appointment dont even speak to him, xrays done

5th appointment, yes his xrays confirm what his laptop tells him (of course) much worse than he thought, will need twice weekly treatment, asks for workcover claim again. This is now three weeks of ongoing pain and still no actual treatment, made 6th appointment.

6th appointment, no show, I'm not that dumb!

What a total tosser, couldnt see past the cash cow ie workcover.

Went to physio, immediate professional treatment and recovery over time.

Go to a Chiro again? no farkn way.

work cover wtf from reaching to get the pink donuts oooowww the pain

GanzoGirl
WA, 35 posts
1 Jun 2009 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

I also had a bad experience with Chiro...

I saw one after taken advise from a friend! (I'd never used Physio or Chiro so really had no idea who would be best for my back pain?)

I had a accident that resulted in back pain, this was 10 months before my back operation for a sudden prolapsed disc.

Chiro swore I had no buldge disc and insisted I work through the pain weight training and keep coming back to see him every second week. There was very little improvement and I started to get pain in the top of my leg, still no mention of scan or potential disc prob?? After months or trusting him I decided to seek a second opinion from a Physio, that was the day my foot dropped and my disc prolapsed

I am now very wary of Chiro's and will only see a Physio's. Luckily I only need to see one maybe once a year for my back now!

GanzoGirl
WA, 35 posts
1 Jun 2009 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Jules were do you kite in WA...there are plenty of guys at the spot I kite that would be more than happy to pump up your kite ......for a Turkey or two that is!!!

Spacemonkey!
SA, 2288 posts
2 Jun 2009 2:10AM
Thumbs Up

I think that as with all professions there is a wide range of competencies, and chiropractic in particular seems to come under serious scrutiny. As a 4th year Chiro student (5 year course) I don't think many people appreciate the amount of knowledge a good chiro has, unfortunately there are those within the profession who are interested in things other than peoples well being (as with all professions), giving a bad rep.

As for Robbo's post, that link you provide is a very biased article not based on current evidence. Starting off with a comment about the audacity for chiropractors to call themselves doctors (when they do a 5 year course- as much if not more than other health professions other than medicine). A recent study (last year) compared the risk of having a stroke after visiting a chiropractor and other health professions. The results were that you were just as likely to have a stroke (and in some instances more so) going to see a general practitioner than a chiropractor. The reason for this is that some of the early symptoms of a stroke may be the reason for seeking help from a health care professional rather than the fact that they themselves caused it. Stroke has been shown to be a very very rare occurrence in any fact.
See: http://www.springerlink.com/content/vw8q5187g3j4118t/

As for evidence relating to the topic:
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1529943003001773
linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0161475403002458
jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/296/20/2441
...and there is many more and I could talk about this stuff on and on but you get the picture. Just outlining the serious flaws and bias with that article.

As for my views on the subject:

The goal should be to treat in the acute stages to get the patient out of pain and return to function and then make the transition via rehabilitation and home exercises to care the patient can do all by themselves leading to discharge from care (and continuation of self care). Patients with long standing low back pain are often deconditioned with several studies showing atrophy (loss of muscle mass) from certain back muscles and loss of endurance. Most people with disc ruptures would fit into this category. It's not all about strength but endurance, loss of endurance can lead to abnormal loading of parts of your spine predisposing them to injury or further injury. The muscles as well as the bones are very important to treat together. This is where rehab is key, to provide one self with ideal support to prevent further injury. Educating the patient on how to listen to their body, what to do if it comes back (maybe been a bit lax on the exercises, resume, or perhaps come back for a few treatments).

Some practitioners may be missing part of the picture and ignoring the rehab and the patients long-term goals, only incorporating what they do in the office (passive care) in their treatment, generally these are the people you want to avoid. Obviously every person is different and this is the role of the doctor (of whatever kind) to tailor a care plan to.

In any case this has been discussed previously here:
www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=48068&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=disc%2Cinjury

doc jans
VIC, 70 posts
2 Jun 2009 7:58AM
Thumbs Up

Goddam chiros are quacks asking you to come back for check ups, just like those damn dentist, oh yeah and those friggin mechanics... sheesh! :)

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
2 Jun 2009 8:41AM
Thumbs Up

doc jans said...

Goddam chiros are quacks asking you to come back for check ups, just like those damn dentist, oh yeah and those friggin mechanics... sheesh! :)

not to mention frustrated doctors. why else would someone call themselves a doc when they're not?

Doc myusernam (doctorate in masturbation)

pick the odd one out: chiro, pharmacist, massuese (spelling?), natureopath, homeopath, astrologist, avon lady

andrewob
28 posts
2 Jun 2009 12:50PM
Thumbs Up

One word....pilates!

Best thing I ever did for my back. Fortunately I didn't do any major damage but pilates gets that core strength back up and improves flexibility as well. Plus there's lots of cute girls in the classes to perv on (although that's prob not a reason for you to go) :D

doc jans
VIC, 70 posts
3 Jun 2009 1:44AM
Thumbs Up

myusernam said...

doc jans said...

not to mention frustrated doctors. why else would someone call themselves a doc when they're not?

Heh, well the government of Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, US of A among others all recognise chiropractors as doctors of chiropractic. It is a title earnt and not given away freely. Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous chiropractors out there, and a lot of miscommunication.

If chiropractic didn't work, then it would not be growing by the year and helping many thousands of people every day around the world.

I am saddened by some of the stories I have read here about peoples experiences with some chiropractors. I just hope people have enough awareness to realise that one bad experience does not mean that all are bad.

Everyone would seek a second opinion of a GP or other health professional if they had a bad experience wouldn't they?

Oh and there is a registration board where you can make complaints about chiropractors if you feel they acted unprofessionally and those complaints are taken VERY seriously.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Backinjury and kitesurfing" started by jhummelt