Forums > Kitesurfing General

Bailing

Created by andrewob > 9 months ago, 30 Jan 2009
andrewob
28 posts
30 Jan 2009 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All,
I was out the other week in 15-18kn, got a couple of water starts going, then the wind decided he needed a beer and headed home, much to my dismay. After struggling for a little while and then deciding there was no way I could get a relaunch going, I decided to swim to shore.

I dropped my quick releases and kept the single power line attached to my harness (I have a Cabrinha setup)...is there an easy method of stopping the lines from getting too tangled or is it just one of those things you have to grin and bear in this situation!?

Hunter S
WA, 516 posts
30 Jan 2009 3:00PM
Thumbs Up

Unless it's only 10 or 20 metres or so to shore i think it's really is worth flagging your kite and winding your lines up as in a self rescue as it saves some of the potential mess and potential stuff ups - like lines caught around rocks and wind reapearing powering up slack lined kite.

Most people learn self rescue but if not practiced seems to be forgotten - it's really useful when you suddenly find you need it

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
30 Jan 2009 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

Attach a stopper ball one kite length from the ring of your one line flagger........then when you release to one line your bar doesn't slide too far away creating the great tangle....danger etc.....I still can not believe that the stopper ball is not a part of the kite kit from manufacturer.

On a couple of occasions I have had to release to one line after invert or other screw up; both times, releasing to one line sorted the problem. Easy to get the bar if it is only a few meters from you and not drifting to the kite and making a whole mess of the lines...not to mention the danger you put yourself in from the lines, trying to recover the bar.

Stopper balls rule for those outer body experiences.

Paradox
QLD, 1326 posts
2 Feb 2009 5:00PM
Thumbs Up

gruezi said...

.....I still can not believe that the stopper ball is not a part of the kite kit from manufacturer.

They are standard on many kites - I know Airush do, and am sure others do as well.

Andrew if you have to swim take the time to wind up your lines. Getting tangled in lines can be a very very dangerous thing, go to all extremems to aviod it.

If there is not enough wind to relaunch just pull on the line your safety is attached to and wind it around your bar. Once enough is on to fully flag the kite, wind the other lines on with it and bring the kite into you.

Alternatively if the wind is sufficiently light you can make your way to your kite up a line, undo the lines, sit on the LE and wind them onto the bar. Just make sure you don't get tangled. Use the kite as a sail and let it pull you in. It will do this even in light winds. OR once your lines are in, clip your safety leash to the pump loop and swim.

Gorgo
VIC, 4982 posts
2 Feb 2009 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

If there's any breeze at all you can tension the lines on the shore side to steer the kite towards the beach. It will help sail you in.

If there's no wind at all just leave the kite hooked into your chicken loop and swim in.

If the wind has dropped out to very light but there is still a little wind the best thing you can do is pull in your trimmer. This means you can pull the bar right in without stalling the kite. You can then fly the kite in a figure-8 pattern with the bar pulled in and ride out even nil wind lulls. Keep your board on your feet and lie on your back to provide some tension on the kite lines.

I did this yesterday and was able to use the kite as a giant "air paddle" to work my way to shore while others had to swim in. It was kind of fun.

stoked
WA, 23 posts
2 Feb 2009 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

Paradox said...

gruezi said...

.....I still can not believe that the stopper ball is not a part of the kite kit from manufacturer.

They are standard on many kites - I know Airush do, and am sure others do as well.

I think gruezi means a stopper ball on a single flying (flagging) line. I have had 4 airush kites, none have had this stopper ball. A mate has an old fuel he bought second hand, it has a stopper about 4 metres up on the flagging line, until now we never new what it was for......thanks gruezi !

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
2 Feb 2009 9:59PM
Thumbs Up

That is correct stoked.

Paradox
QLD, 1326 posts
3 Feb 2009 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

stoked said...

Paradox said...

gruezi said...

I think gruezi means a stopper ball on a single flying (flagging) line. I have had 4 airush kites, none have had this stopper ball. A mate has an old fuel he bought second hand, it has a stopper about 4 metres up on the flagging line, until now we never new what it was for......thanks gruezi !

Apologies - The Vapor and Generator definately have it standard on the 5th, and I thought the Flow and DNA's did too, but it seems the 4 line kites do not have them.

I agree they should, but easy enough to retrofit I guess.

stoked
WA, 23 posts
3 Feb 2009 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Hey paradox.......I must apolagise also.

I was thinking about my post last night when I realised that there is a stopper ball a little way up on the 5th line on both my vapors......I now feel like a nob...sorry. I had halo's before these and as you have said, the 4 line kites dont have them.

am I forgiven.....?

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
3 Feb 2009 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

stoked said...

Hey paradox.......I must apolagise also.

I was thinking about my post last night when I realised that there is a stopper ball a little way up on the 5th line on both my vapors......I now feel like a nob...sorry. I had halo's before these and as you have said, the 4 line kites dont have them.

am I forgiven.....?

not often i see someone being humble on seabreeze..... very refreshing. i'll forgive ya if no-one else does.

stoked
WA, 23 posts
3 Feb 2009 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

thanks Colin ! I feel much better now.

good luck with the finger !

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Bailing" started by andrewob