Forums > Kitesurfing General

Beginner Choices

Created by MellowYellow > 9 months ago, 27 Jan 2008
MellowYellow
WA, 23 posts
27 Jan 2008 7:18PM
Thumbs Up

Hi (from Perth)

I've just started out learning to kite board (had 3 lessons), and have purchased a board (RRD 135 x 39) and Pat Love seat harness. Now i'm after a kite that will make my progression as easy and pleasant as possible

Does one such kite exist?

My requirements are - easy re-launch when I can't touch the bottom of the ocean or river, 100% depower so I don't get dragged along too far from my board, simple rigging procedure, high build quality to take a beginner's stacks, good handling characteristics. Do I ask too much???

My research and discussion with kiting people seems to indicate that an SLE is the way to go (bow vs hybrid?).

In terms of size, I would be thinking an 8 or 9 (I weigh 75kg) and would be looking in the 2nd hand market (seabreeze.com.au), so not wanting to spend a fortune, say something around the $500-600 mark (inclusive of kite, bar, bag, pump).

This will probably confuse me even more, but if these were 4 kites to look at, what would more experienced kiters recommend

1. '07 RRD HyperType 9m
2. '07 Liquid Force Havoc 8m
3. '07 Naish Torch 8m
4. '07 Flexifoil Atom 9m

I understand it is a very subjective question, and probably every response will yield a different answer, but maybe, just maybe, one of these (or an unknown outsider) will pop up as the general favourite. I guess time will tell

Jimmyz
NSW, 446 posts
27 Jan 2008 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Slingshot Turbo Diesel 2 (or just turbo 2).

I started learning on it, bow kite so its got awesome depower, massive windrange, apparently the easiest relaunching kite there is.

Although I try not to test it's durability, it is easy to see that the kite is as hard as nails, triple stitched everywhere, extremely robust leading edge etc etc.

Never letting mine go. Only bad point is that you won't find many secondhand (because they r just so awesome who'd wana sell one), also they are fairly expensive, but well worth the extra money if you can afford it.

I think echostorm might still be selling his 11m and 14m.

nicnak
QLD, 14 posts
27 Jan 2008 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

My best mate has a Naish Torch and I used it to learn on, awesome kite well suited to beginers.

daggy
WA, 527 posts
27 Jan 2008 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

you've obviously done your homework- 4 great kites on your list there. I might think an 8 is a bit small if it's your only kite , go for a 9 or 10.
I'd recomend a 9m Waroo - would make an awesome first kite, you could go a North REBEL if you had the dollars

YoMoFo
NSW, 240 posts
27 Jan 2008 11:16PM
Thumbs Up

Jimmyz on the money

Kitehard
WA, 2782 posts
Site Sponsor
27 Jan 2008 11:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi MY,

An Airush Flow SLE or Airush DNA, or an Ozone Instinct Light would be ideal, maybe evfen an Instinct Sport, but I challenge you to find one in the classifieds section, nope none in your range!

I wonder why?

Good winds,

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
28 Jan 2008 1:07AM
Thumbs Up

ahh the 8m torch will be too small for you mate. i had a 10 as my main kite in perth for a bit of this season and my weight has fluxuated between 72 and 76 over the time.

most SLE and bow type kites are really nice for learning.

If you want to buy second hand id say look for like a 07 waroo as they are pretty affordable and you will like it when you start learning to jump. i cant comment on the havoc as i havnt flown it. The Hypertype isnt that great, you need to be carefull with the tuning as they hindenburg(fall out of sky randomly) if not set up right. from what ive heard from people the atom is a really nice kite to ride aswell..

New you can look at the 08 havocs. i fly Hifis which are the higher performance 5th line versions and the Construction is pretty darn tough! lots off instant depower on the bar and even more so on the Havoc, easy relaunching and they are real nice to fly. but yeah i dont know how the 07 compares to them, ive heard the older liquid force kites wer a little dodgy but for 08 they really did step their game up and the gear is pretty top quality.

the DNA and flow are alright kites to learn on but once u progress past the basics the dna is pretty hopeless, the flow will serve you better but with your weight it is tricky to pick between the 10 and 7 as they are pretty damn grunty and really should have a middle man between the two sizes.

DONT get a kite with a 2:1 pully system on the bar as they make bar pressure wayy heavier and take alot of feel away from the kites.

where would you mainly kite?

MellowYellow
WA, 23 posts
28 Jan 2008 1:37AM
Thumbs Up

Charl dv said...

ahh the 8m torch will be too small for you mate. i had a 10 as my main kite in perth for a bit of this season and my weight has fluxuated between 72 and 76 over the time.

where would you mainly kite?

I would anticipate spending a fair bit of time on the river to start, and then maybe Pinnaroo Point for introduction to ocean. Ideally I would like to get to a skill and confidence level whereby I could just slip down the road and go from Brighton, but Woodman Point looks like fun, as does Leighton.

Thanks for your input guys. Appreciate your advice

mattyjee
WA, 575 posts
28 Jan 2008 2:00AM
Thumbs Up

I had an 07 liquid force havoc and sold it for an 08 airush flow. Best desicion i ever made. Airush are built solid and fly wickedly. I think something different broke almost every time i took my LF havoc out until eventually it ripped in half and i sold it cheap.

MellowYellow
WA, 23 posts
28 Jan 2008 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the feedback.

So, an amended 'beginner first kite' (super easy relaunch, 100% depower, good build quality, great safety, SLE) could read like this ???

1. '07 Best Waroo
2. Airush Flow (isn't this a C kite, not an SLE )
3. Slingshot Turbo Diesel 2 (if I can find one )
4. '07 Flexifoil Atom
5. North Rebel (if I can afford one )

I am assuming a 9 or 10m size, for a 75kg rider in Perth conditions.

Any more strong contenders

Choady
NSW, 72 posts
28 Jan 2008 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

G'day MY,

Ive been kiting since Nov 07 and bought a second hand 2007 Waroo 13m kite. Im a bit heavier than you at 92kg and am very happy with the kite. Im just still mastering the art of wishing I could stay up wind.

The kite has plenty of depower, easy to rig, 6 knots on the back lines to tune it depending on conditions, and the 2007 Best Bar is great with the front lines going through centre of the bar so you dont get tangled mess when kitelooping. It doesn't have the one pump system, but thats no biggy. It also has safety through centre of bar, or you can hook on to either of the No **** release handles. I use saftey on these in strong winds (round 25kt), but you have to de-tangle when kitelooping if you hook in there.

Relaunch is real easy both in deep water and on your own. Landing it is not so easy on your own in stronger winds. Anything more than 16 or 17 kts it just wants to keep on flying if you pull on the up tip front line to try get it down, so I just pull safety or use NSR handle if > 20kts. But most of the time theres someone there to land me.

During my lessons I used the schools new FONE bandits (13m) which was also a dream to fly, but a lot more exy than the Waroo.

The waroo has a good wind range for me (about 13/14kts to 25-27kts). The manufacturer spec says 11-23kts for a 75kg dude. If you buy a second hand one, ask about the condition of the fibreglass battons, as most of mine were busted when I bought it (didn't know any better). There not expensive to replace (three bucks each) but had to look around for ages to find a shop to get replacements. Kitepower got them in for me no probs.

It turns real well when powered, and sheeted out (a little slower when sheeted out). When the wind is real light (ie 10kts) you need to keep the kite moving, or it will tend to want to fall out the sky, but thats the same with any kite at the bottom of its range.

Over all, Im very happy with my purchase, and would highly recommend to a new kiter.

Good luck.

Charl dv
WA, 2485 posts
29 Jan 2008 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

ah right, yeah a 9 or 10m is perfect for perth the majority of the time, the 07 flow and 08 flow is a SLE kite where the older 06 and below are C kites. as with the waroo definitly do not buy a 06 model, if your going to get one get a 07 they last alot longer

Bo
WA, 192 posts
29 Jan 2008 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

MellowYellow said...
So, an amended 'beginner first kite' (super easy relaunch, 100% depower, good build quality, great safety, SLE) could read like this ???

1. '07 Best Waroo
2. Airush Flow (isn't this a C kite, not an SLE )
3. Slingshot Turbo Diesel 2 (if I can find one )
4. '07 Flexifoil Atom
5. North Rebel (if I can afford one )

I am assuming a 9 or 10m size, for a 75kg rider in Perth conditions.

I would go with a 9 or an 11 Waroo (2007). Unbeatable value and performance combination. Make sure you get the Best 07 bar with it, a lot of them selling are kite only, people upgrading to the latest model!

Regards,
Bo

pulse69
QLD, 39 posts
29 Jan 2008 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,

I'm also new to the sport and just bought an '07 Waroo. I had one lesson on a Cabrinha Contra before I bought my kite. I have to say the Contra was way easier to relaunch out of the water than the waroo. Contra has a much more curved leading edge which makes it easier to get it on wingtip and taxi along the water to the side of the wind to relaunch. Other than that I'm pretty happy with the Waroo - but as I said I'm still new.

Marty

MellowYellow
WA, 23 posts
29 Jan 2008 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the input guys. Appreciate you taking the time and effort

I think I may have sourced a 2008 North Rebel 9m for a pretty good price (less than $700), and it seems to get good ratings as a beginner friendly kite with some potential to progress

Will let you know what happens

Slack
WA, 685 posts
29 Jan 2008 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

A 2008 North Rebel 9m for less than $700 is a very good price

Knickers
WA, 256 posts
29 Jan 2008 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hey dude, you might be a bit underpowered on a 9m Rebel, I have a 10 at 65kg and am fine in 15 to 30kn. Otherwise it's a great choice.

cwamit
WA, 1194 posts
29 Jan 2008 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Knickers said...

Hey dude, you might be a bit underpowered on a 9m Rebel, I have a 10 at 65kg and am fine in 15 to 30kn. Otherwise it's a great choice.

but thats the 07 one nic, its the 08.. as most have said.. better low end than last years.

i ended up getting a vegas.. happy as a pig in sh... now!

MellowYellow
WA, 23 posts
29 Jan 2008 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

PURCHASED

One slightly used 2008 North Rebel 9m (hot blue canopy/hot pink leading edge and ribs) with all the bits, for $650

I describe the colour so WA kiters can see me coming and give me a wide berth

Thanks to everyone for their advice and comments Can't wait to get out there and start learning how to use it.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Beginner Choices" started by MellowYellow