Forums > Kitesurfing General

Beginner making a final decision!

Created by Mac12 > 9 months ago, 29 Dec 2012
Mac12
6 posts
29 Dec 2012 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

I completed my first on land kiteboarding lessons today and booked to hit the water on Monday. I've windsurfed for 20 years and now I'm ABSOLUTELY obsesed with selling my sole to kiteboarding and need help with my final purchase decision.
I'm torn between the Cabrina "Switchblade and board package or North "Rebel" package.
Which package should I purchase?

salt
VIC, 616 posts
29 Dec 2012 10:58PM
Thumbs Up

same same, get last years (2012 ) kites for less or buy used if you wanna save.

Danmurphys
WA, 231 posts
29 Dec 2012 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Some love rebels, some hate them.. I've actually shagged a girl from bunbury called rebel so I guess I'm indifferent..

Switchys are the standard all round beginners kite. If you can forecast what style you might favour down the track we can give you more info and you will save the coin from wanting to upgrade in a few months..

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
30 Dec 2012 10:00AM
Thumbs Up

Switchy, 5 line kites and beginner equal one big tangle.....

eppo
WA, 9505 posts
30 Dec 2012 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

If that is your two choices, then yes the SB my friend. A better beginner kite.

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
30 Dec 2012 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

Mac12 said...

I completed my first on land kiteboarding lessons today and booked to hit the water on Monday. I've windsurfed for 20 years and now I'm ABSOLUTELY obsesed with selling my sole to kiteboarding and need help with my final purchase decision.
I'm torn between the Cabrina "Switchblade and board package or North "Rebel" package.
Which package should I purchase?

Either/Or.... It won't really make a difference

the only thing that matters is, what colour boardshorts are you going to wear over your wettie....?

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
30 Dec 2012 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, of those two the Switchy. Both fly well but the rebel's 5th line will stuff you as a beginner when you inevitably roll your kite through its lines.

Akwa
WA, 255 posts
30 Dec 2012 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

I started off on a Cabrinha Convert which, back then, was great to learn on. It was nice and stable, not too quick, powerful and it's got a very easy 4-line, bridled set-up. I expect the Switchie to be a bit similar but better build quality and quicker.

I now fly the Rebels and I must say I had to get used to it's liveliness and how quick it flies. However it has really helped me progress very quickly in the last few weeks and now I love it's liveliness and speed. It's build quality is fantastic and it's got good power.

I myself think it was a good idea to start off on the Cab and move on to the Rebel as in my opinion the Rebel is not really a beginner kite due to it's liveliness and the 5 lines, which WILL wrap around your kite several times when you drop it, and as a beginner you will drop it.. a lot.

Have a great time learning!

cel23
QLD, 175 posts
30 Dec 2012 9:23PM
Thumbs Up

Rebels up-wind and de-power is way better...flown rebels heaps, never had an issue with their 5th line.

KiteBud
WA, 1543 posts
30 Dec 2012 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Understandably the 5th line wrapping can be an occasional problem for beginners with poor flying skills, but the 5th line remains a safer system overall especially when compared to the Cabrinha one. I have yet to find a beginner Cabrinha user who can explain to me how their safety system works (4 stages or safety instead of 3?) and also one that flags out systematically without any pull every time you activate it in any conditions.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
31 Dec 2012 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

^^^ a load of garbage the cab system is probably the best available even before pulling the safety just let go of the bar for 90%depower

Akwa
WA, 255 posts
30 Dec 2012 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

I have to say I find my Rebel has a great safety system and bar.. IMO much better than Cabrinha. The Rebel Depowers completely and I found my Cabrinha did not always fully depower and would try to take off again even after pulling he release

davem207
VIC, 138 posts
31 Dec 2012 3:29AM
Thumbs Up

I dont know where your getting this tangle crap from i learnt on a torch and then had a vegas obvioussly both 5 line kites and never found the fifth line an issue if anything the fifth line made it easier to learn on with the added re-assurance/safety of 100% depower.

Plummet
4862 posts
31 Dec 2012 3:15AM
Thumbs Up

my suggestion. don't buy new for your first kite. you will strash it. buy a 1year old hardly used kite for half the price. merily smash the hell out of it while you learn and then buy new if you fell inspired one year layer when your have most of the kite trashing out of your system.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
31 Dec 2012 9:05AM
Thumbs Up

cbulota said...
Understandably the 5th line wrapping can be an occasional problem for beginners with poor flying skills, but the 5th line remains a safer system overall especially when compared to the Cabrinha one. I have yet to find a beginner Cabrinha user who can explain to me how their safety system works (4 stages or safety instead of 3?) and also one that flags out systematically without any pull every time you activate it in any conditions.

What are you on about, the Cab has a simple safety, let go of the bar or release onto the front lines, same as a fifth but without extra line, that you will never need to use unless you really, seriously fark up......there is a reason why nobody can explain a 4 stage safety, because there isn't one.

SUPSurferQLD
QLD, 317 posts
31 Dec 2012 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

I would suggest you buy used gear, but it doesnt really matter. You will trash anything you buy if you are kiting correctly.

Whatever you buy, in the first season its all learning how to ride and enjoy this fantastic sport. Dont get caught up with hype, just ride what is comfortable and feels right for you.

Its the crashes, near collisions, dodgey self launches, botched self landings, tea bagging sessions, line tangles, gusty over powered sessions, under powered sessions (i could go on) which will make not only you but all of us the legendary kiters that we are.

dbabicwa
WA, 808 posts
31 Dec 2012 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

Not to forget, losing the board when learning is very possible depending where you kite surf.

Five lines kite I've started using after my third season. Still 50% success with quick relaunch:(
My 4 lines kite relaunches like a rocket.

KiteBud
WA, 1543 posts
31 Dec 2012 11:35AM
Thumbs Up

Paul1 said...
cbulota said...

What are you on about, the Cab has a simple safety, let go of the bar or release onto the front lines, same as a fifth but without extra line, that you will never need to use unless you really, seriously fark up......there is a reason why nobody can explain a 4 stage safety, because there isn't one.

The point I'm trying to make is there are a total of 3 release systems (apart from letting go of the bar) when you ride on a cabrinha bar with a kite leash (1: chicken loop quick release, 2: safety line quick release around the chicken loop, and 3: leash quick release from the harness), which is a source of significant confusion for all beginners (and others) I've seen using it. Traditionally, all other kite brands I know of on the market nowadays have only 2 release systems, 1 for the chicken loop, 1 for the leash. The cabrinha safety is great for more advanced riders and gives some interesting options, but not so much for beginners, especially if they haven't been trained to use it in emergency scenarios. That added to the fact it doesn't flag out very well and seems complex to reassemble (
)

I've pulled out some other comments from kiteforum.com that are along the same lines:

Comment 1:

I think that the "jury is still out" on the determination as to what level this new type of safety system takes us...whether it is a higher level or lower level of safety. At this point I would prefer to see this "two line substitute for a fifth line" system referred to as an extreme "depowering" of the kite rather than as to a "flagging" of the kite. For the beginners reading this thread, you should be advised that the new equipment "advances" that we are seeing, are driven mainly by the demand for more convenience and higher performance...but not necessarily by a greater demand for "safety" in desperate situations where things go from bad to worse.

Comment 2:
I agree with kitezilla. Whenever you are attached to the kite by more than one connection point, where the points are "far" away from each other, as the case is with IDS, I think it is wrong to call this "flagging". I believe there exist situations where a tumbling kite can power up as long as there are at least two separated attachment points.

I hope this makes more sense.

Paul1
QLD, 1011 posts
31 Dec 2012 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

This is where you are completely wrong/ill informed mate. If you release the primary safety onto the landing line then release the, oh fark it's all gone tits up safety, inside the chicken loop it's bye bye kite as all you will be left attached to is the chicken loop which is attched to your harness safety. Here it is for those with learning difficulties...www.cabrinha.com/index.php?option=com_ckvideos&view=detail&playlist_id=BF0722370A8DF08E&Itemid=233

KiteBud
WA, 1543 posts
31 Dec 2012 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Paul, don't worry I know how the Cab safety system works and rephrased ''stages'' of safety in my second comment to talk about the total amount of different releases which IS 3 when you include the leash, my first comment was a bit confusing as I didn't explain myself properly, I agree. Approach beginners with the cab safety system on the beach and ask them to explain to you how it works, in what order to use the safety releases and what purpose is there for their kite leash? You'll only understand my point of view if you can put yourself in the shoes of a complete beginner who is unfamiliar with this type of system. As I work with complete beginners on a daily basis and ask them/show them about safety systems and ask them/show them to activate safety systems multiple times per day I know exactly what I'm talking about.

KiteBud
WA, 1543 posts
31 Dec 2012 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

I also forgot to talk about accidental unhooking situations with the Cab bar, i.e chicken loop coming off by accident/mistake. I'm sure most experienced kiters probably experienced this situation more than once... now tell me what happens with beginners who become accidentally unhooked on the Cab bar (which is more likely to happen to them as they often misplace their chicken loop finger) ? They instantly find themselves against their will on suicide leash mode, that's what happens. This wouldn't happen on other conventional safety systems where your leash is connected to flagging line directly.

Now you'll tell me, no worries, grab the chicken loop and hook back in. Yes of course, you're an advanced kiter. Go tell this to a beginner in strong winds who became accidentally unhooked and is getting pulled hard by his leash.

Now explain to me in what ways the Cab safety system is more beginner friendly and overall safer than other conventional safety systems on the market?

frankief
NSW, 68 posts
2 Jan 2013 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Could always demo / try both mate and see what you preferred? but go for a decent 2nd hand one - you're gonna smash it up a bit - enjoy.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Beginner making a final decision!" started by Mac12