Forums > Kitesurfing General

Best Coffs Beaches

Created by Kitesplosh > 9 months ago, 13 Feb 2008
Kitesplosh
VIC, 123 posts
13 Feb 2008 4:06PM
Thumbs Up

Less than a month before I head to Coffs Harbour, throw offspring at Kid's Club every day and free myself up for as much kiting time as poss.

Can anyone give a pointer as to the best places to kitesurf around Coffs? Happy to drive an hour or so for a good spot. I'm intermediate level, just experimenting with unhooked and rotations, enjoy both flat water and surf up to about 1.5m

Thanks

KS

gesper
NSW, 517 posts
13 Feb 2008 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Was at coffs for a few days last october.The best place to kite if you want waves is Flat top rock about 20 mins north of coffs just south of woolgoolga.One of the best places on east coast.Had an awesome session there in a NE.Incredible down the line waveriding.Also works in SE,locals tell me it is better in SE.Cant wait to get back there.

merman
QLD, 431 posts
13 Feb 2008 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Heya Kitesplosh

Flat top just south of Woolgoolga is definately worth a try, ive also seen guys at Park Beach (in Coffs Harbour) infront of Muttonbird Island kinda similar to the Flat top setup.

Ive kited Shellys on the south side of Emerald Beach a few times, it really seams to pick up the SE winds when they come through/wicked waves too. But be carefull this beach is usually totaly barron of any humans or any visual contact with the outside world when its blowing..

but its a top spot.... this beach joins upto moone beach which is about 7ks (maybe more) south..... so in a wicked SE wind you could potentialy do a very enjoyable down winder.... ive been wanting to try it for ages.

I have to admit i am biased as i spent 13 years of my life growing up there.

Would love to know if any of the local Boys have kited Shellys or mooney, could it be that i,m the first to have been kiting there???????? if so i,m clamen it

gkram
QLD, 119 posts
14 Feb 2008 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe you were merman, I headed down to Coffs just before Christmas & has some awesome sessions at Moonee & Shellys. Did two downwinders from Moonee to Shellys in the SEer just riding waves all the way. I was born & bred in Coffs, & used to surf Shellys whenever I could scam a lift from town. Now that I kite I realise what an awesome spot it is for kiting (In the waves anyway) I have to get back there more often.

merman
QLD, 431 posts
14 Feb 2008 11:57AM
Thumbs Up

heres some pics of Shellys looking south to Mooney, as you can see it was totaly packed..

Kitesplosh
VIC, 123 posts
14 Feb 2008 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome pictures -Im now really stoked and getting to work on the wife to persuade her that support vehicle driver for a downwinder is sooo much better than hanging around ton the beach doing nothing.

Thanks for all the help - I'll let you know how I go. If anyone kites out that way and wants a kiting buddy for the week starting 9 Mar then let me know.

KS

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
14 Feb 2008 8:56PM
Thumbs Up

There is some great spots around here,hardest thing though is finding people to kite with.
Flattop island is the pick of the spots in NE or SE ,any tide but I like high tide the best.If any of you are heading this way send me a message to hook up for a session.

Oi,that is the first time(the photo you posted)that I have seen another kite, bar mine,on moonee/back emerald beach but mine.I must have been at flattop that day.damn,looks like a good day,pitty about the crowd though

shhhhh,dont tell anyone how good it is around here

merman
QLD, 431 posts
14 Feb 2008 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

.Oi,that is the first time(the photo you posted)that I have seen another kite, bar mine,on moonee/back emerald beach but mine.I must have been at flattop that day.damn,looks like a good day,pitty about the crowd though

shhhhh,dont tell anyone how good it is around here

yeah the only time ive seen other kiters around was at Flat top, every other session i,m on my own with the occasional beach walker going by..

The day of the pics was ok, i had my 16mtr bow kite up, so only about 12 knts i recon but its was sooo nice to have the place to myself... maybe one other kiter to share it with would have been nice.

was kiting this beach last xmass in the big winds/swell.... no BS it must have been breaking 12 to 15 ft out the back (300 mtrs off shore) 20 plus knts... and again i was on my own, never made it out the back (maybe halfway) it was way to scary/but heaps of fun.

i dont think you need to worrie about the place being found out, i and many others have been surfing the supreme lefthander that developes off the headland for decades, some off the best surfs of my life have been at this place.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
15 Feb 2008 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

SE is looking good today if anyone is keen

rik
NSW, 89 posts
15 Feb 2008 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Hi kitesplosh & lotofwind
I sent a post a couple of weeks ago asking about wooloolga sailing spots ,
I will be up there with my wife & kids also on the 9th . I will send a new post before we go hope we can get a wave sail together. { may the winds howl and the waves roll ! }
Regards Rik

15 Feb 2008 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

Give Bob Dawson a call, he will let you know about all the local spots and fill you in on the local rules and stuff too.
He is one of the original kiters and does great repairs, contact him via his website
http://www.kiterepairs.com.au/

All his contact details are there, on the website front page. Ph 0407 057 405

Goodwinds

Steve

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Best Coffs Beaches" started by Kitesplosh