Forums > Kitesurfing General

Best Sydney spot for a Westerly

Created by drownedrat > 9 months ago, 15 May 2009
drownedrat
NSW, 6 posts
15 May 2009 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Tomorrow looks like a decent Westerly for Sydney, but that would be offshore for most kiting spots that I know of. Only spot that I can think of that could work in a Westerly would be Kurnell, but I've never been down there before. Is that the recommended spot? Any other recommendations for a Westerly?

Stef

bigmark100
NSW, 584 posts
15 May 2009 12:17PM
Thumbs Up

you need to head north.... ie Picnic point by The Entrance.

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
15 May 2009 1:23PM
Thumbs Up

yes kurnell works,Port kembla to the south is also an option. the entrance is a long way to drive(up to 2 hours) for often fickle westerlys. There are not too many days when everything lines up to make picnic point work.

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
15 May 2009 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

courthouse hotel in newtown, they got like seven pinball machines...

kiting in a westerly is too frustrating..

i.e.... 5knots, 40knots, 5knots, 40knots

drownedrat
NSW, 6 posts
15 May 2009 2:23PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the suggestions. The Entrance and Port Kembla are too far out for an afternoon session unfortunately, so Kurnell it'll have to be, gusty or not.

I like the idea of launching just East of Taronga Zoo Wharf in a Westerly and then having the patch between the wharf and Bradley's Head, but I reckon you'd last 10mins before the police had you in handcuffs in the back of the van (or boat).

I've seen guys down at Rose Bay in a NW. What's the deal with kiting in the harbour? Illegal from what I gather.

Gone to dark side
NSW, 389 posts
15 May 2009 5:27PM
Thumbs Up

If your Going to Kurnel you better have a small kite 7m would be good.

drownedrat
NSW, 6 posts
15 May 2009 5:49PM
Thumbs Up

Seriously? Seabreeze says 21kts for tomorrow. Does Kurnell blow that much harder? I was planning on taking my 12 out (Helix 2008) which will start to get overpowered at 25kts. Next down is an 8 Naish Raven, which is quite a jump down and I'd rather stay with the Helix anyway.

Stef

Gone to dark side
NSW, 389 posts
15 May 2009 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

I was out on my 7m today and it was not ment to be as windy to day as Sat.Should have a good time on the 8M

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
15 May 2009 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

I've heard you can kite La perouse in a westerly

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
15 May 2009 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

bennie said...

yes kurnell works,Port kembla to the south is also an option. the entrance is a long way to drive(up to 2 hours) for often fickle westerlys. There are not too many days when everything lines up to make picnic point work.

go a bit further to squids ink at belmont

drownedrat
NSW, 6 posts
18 May 2009 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

There were a few guys out at La Perouse on Saturday - could see them from Kurnell.

Got to Kurnell at about 3pm and waited until about 4:30pm before going out. Only had my 12 with me and it was gusting up to 30+kts initially, but then dropped down to maybe 16kts gusting up to ~22kts beyond the yellow bouys. Got smashed a few times by sudden gusts, but then really stuggled to keep dry in the lulls.

Not a great spot in a Westerly purely because it's properly gusty. I can imagine a NW or NE being MUCH better.

Looks like Easterlies coming this weekend. Wonder if Kurnell works in an Easterly... Any suggestions?

drownedrat

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Best Sydney spot for a Westerly" started by drownedrat