Forums > Kitesurfing General

'Bestest' Sunscreen?

Created by GranG > 9 months ago, 11 Dec 2007
Bowski
VIC, 204 posts
13 Dec 2007 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Its got to be Megan Gales Invisible Zinc for me, I wear it all the time and never get burnt. I used to use Banana boat until i read about the effects of some of their ingredients, most of which has been covered already in this forum. I remember being in Indo 17 years ago and a couple of yanks were using Aloe Gator, when I came back to Australia I enquired about importing it and was told 40 plus was illegal here, at that stage we only had 15 plus. The newer type of sunscreens Megan Gale etc provide broad spectrum which is critical. I also know a lot of crew using Hamilton's and they claim that.

Bowski

Kalavas
WA, 146 posts
13 Dec 2007 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Murray Smith Surf Centre in Scarborough have Alow-UP for $20.00 a tube, just picked a couple up.

Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
13 Dec 2007 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Found a few sites off google that sell the aloe gator stuff.
Do people think it is worth buying and getting sent over, or that the Alow-up does a good enough job?

cwamit
WA, 1194 posts
13 Dec 2007 8:46PM
Thumbs Up

pintofpale said...

I once saw a guy surfing in a full lycra suit with a hood and only holes for his eyes and mouth. Scary looking dude..... Kind of like a cross between the phantom and a gimp..Is it coming to this?

He might have been on anti rejection pills, makes people really really really susceptible to skin cancers.

elizabethb
QLD, 2081 posts
13 Dec 2007 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

I think this has brought out the real sides of the guys we know are really there

Guys wearing Megan Gale & Ella Bache Sunscreen and Zinc!

Mymy. Nice to see!

mytchook
QLD, 561 posts
13 Dec 2007 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

elizabethb said...

I think this has brought out the real sides of the guys we know are really there

Guys wearing Megan Gale & Ella Bache Sunscreen and Zinc!

Mymy. Nice to see!

LOL Liz you are hillarious!!!

Fitzy
QLD, 617 posts
13 Dec 2007 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

bigmark100 said...

sun screen burns my eyes.....

anyone else have this , and what do you do to prevent it?

Don't put it in your eyes

Fitzy Gold Coast OZ

Fitzy
QLD, 617 posts
13 Dec 2007 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

cwamit said...

pintofpale said...

I once saw a guy surfing in a full lycra suit with a hood and only holes for his eyes and mouth. Scary looking dude..... Kind of like a cross between the phantom and a gimp..Is it coming to this?

He might have been on anti rejection pills, makes people really really really susceptible to skin cancers.

Don't be too harsh on me. Stingers and strong sun make whitehaven a tricky place !!!!!!

Fitzy - Gold Coast OZ

Kalavas
WA, 146 posts
13 Dec 2007 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Dawn Patrol said...

Found a few sites off google that sell the aloe gator stuff.
Do people think it is worth buying and getting sent over, or that the Alow-up does a good enough job?

I bought some Aloe-Up today and used it. Quite impressed, it went on pretty easy. I wouldn't say it was greasy, but there was a feel to it that you don't get with regular sunscreen, it's more like a gel than a cream.

That said, it wasn't that sunny today, I'm reserving judgement until we get a scorcher without a cloud in the sky. Still, I'm already liking it better than banana boat.

Jess
WA, 206 posts
14 Dec 2007 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

Maxi Block SPF 30+ for the legs and feet (white bottle with blue writing).
Clear or bronze zinc for the face and lips.
Rashie for the arms and shoulders.
Cap for the head and forehead.
Sunnies for the eyes.

The key really is applying the sunscreen 20 minutes before going out in the sun.

Jess

Paradox
QLD, 1326 posts
14 Dec 2007 11:54AM
Thumbs Up

Jonesy told me today that it can't be sold in Australia as a 40plus screen due to some obscure Govt. rule that says sunblock stating anything above 30 plus ( even though it may be 50plus ) is a no no.....strange ..I said but Jonesy says its about not giving us punters too much confidence in the product.....work that one out.......

Campers outlined the reason for this earlier

"SPF 15 blocks 93% of rays, while SPF 30 blocks 97%. Experts say that SPF ratings higher than 30 don't offer any further UV protection, and let the same 3% of UV rays through as SPF 30"

I assume that the theory is that people would logically think a sunscreen labeled SPF 100+ is far superior to a product labeled 30+ when in fact it gives the same results. Deceptive marketing could be used to mislead etc.

Rather than an obscure rule, I think it is a very forward thinking piece of legislation (rarity I know) that allows you to choose suncreens on other relative merits - like how long it stays on in the water and how safe/toxic it is - rather than who can "boost the highest" SPF rating. I guess that is why the label is 30+.....anything 30 SPF and over is all the same.

Jimmyz
NSW, 446 posts
15 Dec 2007 2:10AM
Thumbs Up

Did you know that the only reason why you can't find any commercially available sunscreen above SPF30+ in Australia is because legally you are not allowed to market higher than SPF30+ (on sunscreen); in order that people reapply more often... as a higher SPF obviously encourages complacency... I remember in South Africa they have SPF higher than 30.

So yeh some of those SPF 70 ones are probz just as effective as our 30+ ones, its just that they are either sold overseas or maybe an internet dealer.

I may be wrong, but I have never seen an over 30 rating on any sunscreen and thats what my mum told me (shes a pharmacist and used to sell the stuff).

Yeh bananaboat is the best IMO, but some of those sports gels, like the fast drying non-slippery ones seem to be really good... I think its aquasun????

Supersane
NSW, 174 posts
15 Dec 2007 3:10AM
Thumbs Up

Good trick for the sunscreen in the eyes thing is not to apply it to your forehead... sweat and water just washes the sun screen in. If need be wear a cap for protection of the forehead.

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
15 Dec 2007 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

campers said...Be wary of using just one application of AloeGator if you're in the sun for a long time. I couldnt find an ingredient list for it, so you can't be sure how photostable the active ingredients are. You could still be getting a good dose of UVA without getting burnt. If anyone has a tube of it can they post the active ingredients please. The thick gel formula sounds good for long water sessions.

http://www.aloegatorsuncare.com/About.htm

bensophenom3 and octocreytene

www.innovations-report.com/html/reports/medicine_health/report-73435.html

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
15 Dec 2007 11:24AM
Thumbs Up

hilly said...

I have used both, IMHO Aloe Gator is vastly superior.

Hoping someone can find it as I have drawn a blank since coming back from Maui a few years ago and trying to get it.

Cheers Andrew

It looks as though you can import it from

http://www.rei.com/product/610055
I am thinking about it but googled the active ingredients and found that one is a bit dodgy - see link in my other posts. stays in your pee for up to four days. not recommended for young kids

Kalavas
WA, 146 posts
15 Dec 2007 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

I hear it contains di-hydrogen monoxide.

Kalavas
WA, 146 posts
15 Dec 2007 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Supersane said...

Good trick for the sunscreen in the eyes thing is not to apply it to your forehead... sweat and water just washes the sun screen in. If need be wear a cap for protection of the forehead.

This is good advice, you can get one of those floppy, wide-brimmed hats with a chin strap on it for about $20.00.

I spend a little extra to get one with a Billabong icon on it so I wouldn't look *too* daggy, however.

Fitzy
QLD, 617 posts
17 Dec 2007 12:24AM
Thumbs Up

Bad ** that Di Hydrogen Monoxide.

I hear they also are putting it in Baby Food and Tooth Paste of all things.

Get a compaint letter going and we can all sign it !!!!!!

Fitzy - Gold Coast OZ

campers
WA, 66 posts
18 Dec 2007 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

myusernam said...

myusernam,

Benzophenone-3 gets a 7/10 (with 1=good 10=bad)
www.cosmeticdatabase.com/special/sunscreens/actives/index.php?ingred06=704372

Octocrylene got a 3/10
www.cosmeticdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=704206#biochem

They use two other ingredients but dont say what on that about page.

myusernam
QLD, 6123 posts
20 Dec 2007 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

campers said...

myusernam said...

myusernam,

Benzophenone-3 gets a 7/10 (with 1=good 10=bad)
www.cosmeticdatabase.com/special/sunscreens/actives/index.php?ingred06=704372

Octocrylene got a 3/10
www.cosmeticdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=704206#biochem

They use two other ingredients but dont say what on that about page.

Yeah I thought as much. Whilst I'm sure the aloe gator is good I think they need to update the formula and remove all of the DDT! I'm going the megan gale stuff. The only active ingredient is zinc oxide which seems relatively benign. Seems to hang around on you too. Wish it was white not clear so I knew when it had all gone. Seems to stay on (can feel it there) better than the old school zinc which I have been using.

BTW when I was a kid my mum used to use elizabeth arden covering cream on us. It was actually a foundation makeup thing but had a SPF15 (all there was back in those days) and stuck like poo to a blanket. You had to wait for it to wear off. Has anyone ever come across this? Stil think it is the best stuff eva.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"'Bestest' Sunscreen?" started by GranG