Forums > Kitesurfing General

Biggest boosting conditions

Created by wishy > 9 months ago, 21 Sep 2015
wishy
WA, 1501 posts
21 Sep 2015 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

I'm interested to know what you would consider the biggest (crunk) boosting conditions.
i.e. What are the flawless conditions to launch into orbit.

I would say it's definitely flat water, and around 35 knots with a 7 metre.
The key challenge here being finding flat water, which has a downwind landing strip deep enough so that you don't break both your femurs clean in half when you stuff up.

Alternatively, I don't think you go quite as high, but 30 knots, 9 metre, cross to cross off, huge swell with enough gap between waves that you can hit warp speed before launching off the next one.

flyingcab
VIC, 942 posts
21 Sep 2015 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

You need a river mouth with an out going tide, and massive swell out the back. You want to be heading as fast as you can and hit a kicker out back while boosting as big as possible.
Once you have hit your peak height, down loop to manoeuvre yourself into the river system and land down in the mouth where the water is nice and smooth and good for landing, hopefully it is deep enough.
Obviously you want to be heading out either with a 7m for fast turning in 35 knots, or a 20m High aspect foil with no depower so you can get stuck in a thermal.

KiteBud
WA, 1536 posts
21 Sep 2015 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

that's Augusta in winds gusting 30-40 knots on a 7m kite. Definitely some ideal boosting conditions. I reckon hitting a wave at a good angle as a kicker you could go higher in similar winds. I believe most of the biggest jumps recorded are launched from a wave ?

Plummet
4862 posts
21 Sep 2015 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

First. High sustained wind. 30+ knots. If it's too gusty loading up for boosting is Un predictable.

Second. Cross to cross on wind.

Third. Wave lips to boost off. Head high is ideal.

Forth. A nice swell period to have a good bit of flat to get a run up and then a nice flat landing before the next wave roles in.

strekke
75 posts
21 Sep 2015 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

I've never ridden flat water on a 7m, but did boost pretty high last week on my 9m in 26 knots of a big wave right before it broke - perfect kicker. I guess taking into account what is said above me, perfect conditions would be 30+ kts on a 7m boosting of a clean big wave right before it breaks!

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
21 Sep 2015 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..

that's Augusta in winds gusting 30-40 knots on a 7m kite. Definitely some ideal boosting conditions. I reckon hitting a wave at a good angle as a kicker you could go higher in similar winds. I believe most of the biggest jumps recorded are launched from a wave ?

Wow, that is at least 2.80m, respect Christian!

As for the question. 9m or smaller, 7m probably perfect, as much wind as you can hold an edge with, and flat water, or better flat water with wave kicker so you get even higher (best when combining the kicker effect with a very quick pop, reason you go higher is because provided you have enough flat water in between the kickers so you can go full speed i.e. you don't need to go for a proper pop which slows you down that milisecond).

Proper kite and board help as well. But that is a different threat, the one coming up every now and then, vertical vs. kook style floaty endless horizontal "jump".

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
21 Sep 2015 8:49PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone ever jumped the whole Augusta river and landed in the trees? I've seen a guy jump from against the sandbar at the pond and hurl a huge loop, landing about 4m from the beach near the jetty. Quite a ripsnorter.

SaveTheWhales
WA, 1874 posts
22 Sep 2015 5:46AM
Thumbs Up

Its the Megaloop at the top that triples the power with a massive punch that makes it more fun and a heli loop to slow down the landing

bennie
ACT, 1258 posts
22 Sep 2015 2:36PM
Thumbs Up

for me the sweet spot is 9m 25 knot southerly small kickers 2-3 foot. I find if the wave is too big it stuffs my timing and I just don't go as big. Also hear on the south east coast a 25knot southerly packs more punch than a sea breeze, but if its too windy my 9 meter is too much, you want to be in the upper end of your kites comfortable zone for max controll, and you will go scary fun big.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
22 Sep 2015 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

I'm not going to claim I can go as high as some of the guys around here but I do love 40+ knots on my 7m Edge with a small wave to launch off.

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
22 Sep 2015 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Just like that day at Seppo Point, when I seen you last Chrissy.

Matt988
WA, 154 posts
22 Sep 2015 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Horrocks beach 30kn+ southerly 9m kite flat as between the waves with some nice middle to head high ramps

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
23 Sep 2015 8:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said..
I'm not going to claim I can go as high as some of the guys around here but I do love 40+ knots on my 7m Edge with a small wave to launch off.

Now that sounds like fun. Never tried the 7m edge.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
23 Sep 2015 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
wishy said...
Chris6791 said..

It's a machine, I love it. I'm now on the hunt for a cheap/new 5 or 6m Edge, I've dropped 20kg since last season so there's no way I can hang onto the 7 in 40+.

AntoineS
NSW, 122 posts
23 Sep 2015 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Sydney gets some sweet 35+ southerlies once in a while, you can find some nice flat water behind the rock groins in the bay to reach top speed then with a bit of luck hit a clean ramp in a gust: www.facebook.com/antoine.sabourin/videos/vb.531460797/10153121918970798

That's with my 85kg on a 9m C4 which kicks you in the butt into orbit. I went with the 7 Edge in similar conditions, it's more like a nice elevator ride up and float forever on the way down, but the downloops are a tad trickier.

Bring on some brown arrows!

Plummet
4862 posts
23 Sep 2015 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said..

wishy said...

Chris6791 said..

It's a machine, I love it. I'm now on the hunt for a cheap/new 5 or 6m Edge, I've dropped 20kg since last season so there's no way I can hang onto the 7 in 40+.

I want a 7m edge tooo! waiting for one to pop up second hand.... I've been waiting a while.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
23 Sep 2015 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ you can't have mine!!!

Plummet
4862 posts
24 Sep 2015 2:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said..
^^^ you can't have mine!!!

bastardo!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
24 Sep 2015 6:46AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said...
Chris6791 said..

wishy said...

Chris6791 said..

I want a 7m edge tooo! waiting for one to pop up second hand.... I've been waiting a while.

It's your lucky day,

strekke
75 posts
25 Sep 2015 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

I think this video confirms what is said above: clean run up to get some speed, and hitting the wave right before it breaks...

Just2807
180 posts
25 Sep 2015 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
strekke said..
I think this video confirms what is said above: clean run up to get some speed, and hitting the wave right before it breaks...

I like that semi silent "hu-huuuuuuu" :D And Jesus that's high!

strekke
75 posts
26 Sep 2015 3:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hehehe yeah that "hu-huuuu" is funny indeed. Apart from the fact that he flies so ridiculously high, I also love how he casually lands, hits the next wave within seconds, and does a big transitional back-roll like it ain't no thing off the white water. Kevin sure knows how to kite!

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
26 Sep 2015 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

That video is an absolute beauty.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Biggest boosting conditions" started by wishy