Forums > Kitesurfing General

Boat assistance and rescue

Created by savagebee > 9 months ago, 3 Feb 2013
savagebee
NSW, 35 posts
3 Feb 2013 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hi, my first post.
I am brand new to kiting, am a good surfer and skiff sailor and have some experience flying 2 string kites. Had one lesson with a mate and was able to get up and going couple times on his twin tip but I want to use my surfboards. 2012 10m BWS noise arrives this week so I am ready to go!

From other posts on this forum I understand that a long downwind is a good way to progress quickly, spend more time practicing kitesurfing and less kite-walking (tho I'm sure that's a necessary skill too). I live on Scotland Island in the Pittwater so am fortunate enough to have my own boat (4.1 m poly) and it occurs that it might be a good plan to head out into broken bay with a wife or mate to drive the boat and rescue me as required.

Any advice on best ways to rig and launch kite from boat, recover into boat etc? My boat is fairly open and accessible but would not be able to have a fully-inflated kite in it, so thinking inflating with some of the kite over the side, let kite float downwind, get in water and launch kite from water?

CowboyWA
WA, 55 posts
3 Feb 2013 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Look on you tube, I have seen a couple of vids of boat launches..

Not sure I would personally take that option though.

Mini Mal
WA, 298 posts
3 Feb 2013 10:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
so thinking inflating with some of the kite over the side, let kite float downwind, get in water and launch kite from water?

Why get in the water? Stand on the deck and waterlaunch the kite and when alls good then step onto your board and go.

gremlin12
NSW, 41 posts
3 Feb 2013 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

savagebee
Welcome to your new addiction.
Since it is still early days for you wouldn't it be better to keep it simple.
Leave the boat, wife out of the way till things are better co-ordinated.
keep going with your mate till your skills mature.
It will be safer for everyone to introduce other obstacles later, that your kite could damage or that may damage your kite.
If you are bring a boat in for launching & rescues at least have someone on board that has kite experience.
Do a search on SB for boat launching.
Quickest way to improve keep feeding your addiction.

3 Feb 2013 11:13PM
Thumbs Up

savagebee said...

Hi, my first post.
I am brand new to kiting, am a good surfer and skiff sailor and have some experience flying 2 string kites. Had one lesson with a mate and was able to get up and going couple times on his twin tip but I want to use my surfboards. 2012 10m BWS noise arrives this week so I am ready to go!

From other posts on this forum I understand that a long downwind is a good way to progress quickly, spend more time practicing kitesurfing and less kite-walking (tho I'm sure that's a necessary skill too). I live on Scotland Island in the Pittwater so am fortunate enough to have my own boat (4.1 m poly) and it occurs that it might be a good plan to head out into broken bay with a wife or mate to drive the boat and rescue me as required.

Any advice on best ways to rig and launch kite from boat, recover into boat etc? My boat is fairly open and accessible but would not be able to have a fully-inflated kite in it, so thinking inflating with some of the kite over the side, let kite float downwind, get in water and launch kite from water?

Forget trying to pump and safely launch from a 4.1M boat, it will likely end in tears.
Instead find a spot where you can rig and launch on a beach and them head off with the boat following.
Clip off the struts when you pump the kite. If something goes wrong or you end up way downwind, flag the kite to one lines and have the boat approach from upwind of you. Once you have a hold of the boat or a line from the boat, make sure the driver puts the motor in neutral and you get yourself into the boat. Once in the boat recover the kite and once you have it at the boat delfate the leading edge and roll it up. put a compression strap around it and head back to the launch site to have another go?

Peterc150
VIC, 710 posts
4 Feb 2013 12:25AM
Thumbs Up

I just wrote this article on boat rescues for kiters kitesurfing-handbook.peterskiteboarding.com/safety/rescue-and-handling-kites

But it doesn't cover launching from boats, which requires considerable experience.

savagebee
NSW, 35 posts
4 Feb 2013 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to all for the excellent advice.
Kite power great advice to rather launch from beach and have boat follow. I certainly will want to do that until I am much more competent, just a matter of finding a safe beach with steady wind and where my boat is allowed.
Peter I have already benefited greatly from your kitesurfing-handbook site, it's an excellent source of information for me, thank you!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
4 Feb 2013 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Not trying to scare you off but get a bit more time under your belt, the are plenty of things that can turn pearshaped,

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Boat assistance and rescue" started by savagebee