Forums > Kitesurfing General

Cabrinha drifter??????

Created by Nomadhazza > 9 months ago, 12 Jan 2013
Nomadhazza
24 posts
12 Jan 2013 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hi there, I'm looking at trading my switchblade for a drifter as I'm more into the surf side of
Kiting now. Just wondering if anyone has rode one and if so can you tell me if it's true what the cabrinha adverts claim? Can you really just park it and almost forget about it whilst you're on the wave or do you still need to work it like other kites?
Any other info about it would be great too.

Cheers

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
12 Jan 2013 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

I have the switchblade 11m, Drifter 9m,7m.

Drifters are my preferred kite. Yes you can just park and ride if the wind is side shore. Cross on you have to fly the kite a bit but nothing like you would the switchblade. I find the depower in the bar very good as you can just sheet out and the power stops. I also ride the kites with the smallest bar. Just find it does not get in the way as much.

When I ride my switchblade I get pulled off the board a bit because I forget it does not work the same.

See if you can get a demo. You will be impressed.

JAKE123
QLD, 307 posts
12 Jan 2013 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

another great thing i find with the drifter is that when your heading out through the surf and you need to slow down to approach a set. when you sheet out the kite depowers but when you sheet back on it powers back up really quickly and you don't need to sine it as much because it doesnt shoot foward in the window as far as other kites.

wal269
WA, 718 posts
12 Jan 2013 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

I went from Switchies to Drifters and am very happy.

I only ride waves and have found the Drifter significantly better.

i think I reviewed the Drfiters when they first came out 18 mths ago so have a look at Gear Reviews for more details.

I am now on the 2nd generation Drifters and am still happy.

Just note that 7m Drifter has a lot less grunt than a 7m Switchy, so you need to prob go 1 size up in the Drifters. ie if you have Swtch 6m and 8m, replace these with Drifter 7m and 9m.

Nomadhazza
24 posts
12 Jan 2013 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Hey thanks everyone for your replies.
I appreciate it.

Nomadhazza
24 posts
19 Jan 2013 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

Just demoed a 9m drifter in some sweet cross-offshore winds today.
Best kite I've ever flown!
I'm sold!
Cheers again for the info.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Cabrinha drifter??????" started by Nomadhazza