Forums > Kitesurfing General

Calling all Kiwi's! Kiting NZ - North Island

Created by Akwa > 9 months ago, 4 Aug 2013
Akwa
WA, 255 posts
4 Aug 2013 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys!

I just got invited for a wedding in New Zealand - Tauranga early February.
We will be going to NZ north island for about a week.

We are planning on going to Tauranga for the wedding and will be staying around there for a couple of days. After that we want to check out some wicked nature. Were thinking about checking out Rotorua or something else awesome.

I dont really know anything about the wind conditions in Tauranga but I'm just wondering if it would be worth bringing my gear or not? If so any specific spots around there?

Also if you guys have any tips on what else to check out on the North Island, let me know please!

Cheers

Chris_M
2129 posts
4 Aug 2013 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

Tauranga has a good surf and gets windy - head over to Mt Maunganui, its about 10mins drive from Tauranga.

Not sure if there are any flat water spots around there. Depending on how much time you get and if you have wheels make sure you get up to Northland. Hundreds of beaches and since its a skinny part of the country you can get travel between coasts fairly quickly to catch any wind.

Rotorua has all the touristy cultural stuff. If you have never been to the country before you'll probably love it - lots of activities to to. But its mostly aimed at tourists with fat wallets. But heaps of adventure stuff that would never make it past OH&S over in Aussie :)

If you cant travel too far north, the Hibiscus coast where I live is pretty damn good. There are beaches open to every single wind direction within a max of 45 mins drive. Hibiscus coast is only 25 mins north of Auckland. Laid back and beachy, climate pretty nice too.

Adrian Roper
93 posts
4 Aug 2013 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Tauranga is great, nice flat water and also good surf. Not too long a drive to Raglan on the west coast. possibly one of the best spots in NZ. Home to the Ozone development team and best coffee in the world!?
The Roturua stuff is worth a look if you have not seen it before, Waimangu thermal area is a the best all-round place to visit for that.
NZ like Australia you need your own wheels to get around.
Cheers Adrian

fodendeyo
4 posts
4 Aug 2013 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Here is some local info on kitesurfing spots in Tauranga www.windandsea.co.nz/?page_id=2033

Cheers

Plummet
4862 posts
4 Aug 2013 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

If you want waves come to taranaki.

fodendeyo
4 posts
5 Aug 2013 7:24PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Plummet where do you kite in Taranaki? Any flat water kiting there? Anything to suit up to intermediate level? (May be heading that way over summer)

Thanks

Plummet
4862 posts
6 Aug 2013 4:20AM
Thumbs Up

Fitzroy beach, back beach, waitara, ahuahu, greenwood, oakura, kumara patch, Kina and tai rd.

The only flat here is in between the waves. Yet intermediate riding in the waves is all on unless its a massive day.
If you want flat then raglan has a "magic carpet". Foxton has an awesome estuary.

CowboyWA
WA, 55 posts
6 Aug 2013 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
fodendeyo said..

Here is some local info on kitesurfing spots in Tauranga www.windandsea.co.nz/?page_id=2033

Cheers

Took my gear to tauranga for xmas / ny's last summer. Got a couple of good sessions at Ferguson Park. Also good kiting off the beach at the mount / papamoa on the right wind.

I would take your gear..!

The above link from fodyendyo will tell you all you need to know..

Olliefly
QLD, 63 posts
7 Aug 2013 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

I.m stoked that plum balls is one of a few kiwis still in NZ, cause Yorkeys knob is full

Plummet
4862 posts
8 Aug 2013 2:51AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Olliefly said...
I.m stoked that plum balls is one of a few kiwis still in NZ, cause Yorkeys knob is full

I dont understand why others leave to chase more $$$ but end up working in a big city and can only go kiting in the weekend in a shiit location jam backed with kiters. Here i am am in kiting paradise. Live 5 mins from beach a busy day is 15 kiters on a 2km beach. I have wind year round and epic waves......

Chris_M
2129 posts
8 Aug 2013 4:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

Olliefly said...

I dont understand why others leave to chase more $$$ but end up working in a big city and can only go kiting in the weekend in a shiit location jam backed with kiters. Here i am am in kiting paradise. Live 5 mins from beach a busy day is 15 kiters on a 2km beach. I have wind year round and epic waves......

Second that... sure I miss the waves on the Vicco surf coast, and the vibrancy of Melbourne, but back at home I am able to afford to buy a nice house with sea views, right by a bunch of awesome beaches (for kiting and SUP). I think that whole notion of "all the money is in Australia" is slowly starting to fade.....

I guess I am also in an industry where jobs are not too impossible to come by, and definitely gained some valuable/ favourable skills for my CV while over there.

Still, I can understand why there are so many kiwis over in Oz - its a bit of an adventure, and cmon, we get a bit claustrophobic being stuck on this tiny island nation our whole lives!!!! They will eventually come home :)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Calling all Kiwi's! Kiting NZ - North Island" started by Akwa