Forums > Kitesurfing General

Canberra crew, please reply

Created by DreadZepplin > 9 months ago, 25 Dec 2008
DreadZepplin
NSW, 53 posts
25 Dec 2008 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hi All

So I saw the post about actually being able to kite in Canberra! Thank god, withdrawls have been hitting me hard.

Can the Canberra crew pls drop me a line, or SMS, and help me with some details. Also keen for some coast trips, or intro you to my Sydney Dolls mates, and take a run over to my fave- towra....Shhhh don't tell.

Cheers
Mikey aka Dreadzepplin

lovey
NSW, 177 posts
27 Dec 2008 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

you won't get any love mate, they're all down here at broulee, getting in the way all the time. Especially Russell.
I think the general opinion is that the lake is ****e and a 2 hour drive is still better value.

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
27 Dec 2008 10:09AM
Thumbs Up

I've heard there's a kiter getting out every now and then at East Basin. It's got a long, usually deserted beach so launching is its advantage. Would be least gusty in the evening easterlies. Compare the BOM obs at Braidwood and Canberra at 4pm in the afternoon. If Canberra is ~2 or more hectopascals below, 5 or more degrees warmer and the easterly is in at Braidwood go down and wait for it after work.

Experienced kiters have sailed easterlies at Blue Gum point without upsetting us windsurfers but the launch is difficult, and an elegant return seems impossible.

Broulee is the go, 2hrs and a bit away, there'll even be kiters out midweek if a good noreaster is forecast.

Plenty out yesterday, that's as good as Broulee gets.

DreadZepplin
NSW, 53 posts
27 Dec 2008 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

thanks guys - by the look of it, Broulee may be a goer for tomorrow (SUN).

No worries, appreciate the info. I will give East basin a go sometime for sure.

Thanks all

DZ

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
27 Dec 2008 3:20PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh it's looking good for tomorrow. Make sure there aren't too many clouds about, check the satellite photo on the BOM. If it's 12 or 13 knots at 11 am (Moruya airport 44740971) it's worth a go. Today was looking promising at 11 am but the clouds made it risky - so didn't go, a good call, it didn't get any windier.

Mattress
NSW, 120 posts
29 Dec 2008 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

What the F@%! Lovey! Broulee is ****!!!!!!!!! Further North is way better.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
29 Dec 2008 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

more like wtf.. 2 hours??? need to get a boat or learn to skate, well thats what i would do anyway

lovey
NSW, 177 posts
30 Dec 2008 7:50AM
Thumbs Up

hey mattress - didn't say it was any good here. just said if you wanted to find 20 kites spazzing out in 10 -30 knot gusty onshore slop, this is where you'd find em.

That sounds better right?

Where are you from again?

You are right though, further north is way better, yet i (unlike the poor sad folk from canberra) am not inclined to drive 2 hours for a kite.

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
30 Dec 2008 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

lovey said...

(unlike the poor sad folk from canberra) am not inclined to drive 2 hours for a kite.

That's a bit harsh, but there's a clue for Canberra kiters, do what none have done before - start out kiter and have a go at windsurfing. We'll be out in todays super gusty norwester.

Most of the pros and cons are disputed, but the one advantage windsurfing does have is launching from tight or crowded beaches.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
30 Dec 2008 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^^and that is the one and only advantage

Ian K
WA, 4048 posts
30 Dec 2008 9:26AM
Thumbs Up

Oh come on there must be at least one more undisputed advantage? What about the confidence to go a bit further afield? We can paddle back more easily if the wind dies or something breaks down.

"am not inclined to drive 2 hours for a kite."

Well I'm certainly inclined to drive 2 hrs for a good windsurf - if that means anything?

coastflyer
SA, 581 posts
30 Dec 2008 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Here's my original post about CBR. For an inland city I still reckon it has a lot to offer, including Kiteboarding!

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44269

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Canberra crew, please reply" started by DreadZepplin