Forums > Kitesurfing General

Cheap Tropical Flatwater Destinations

Created by zarb > 9 months ago, 21 Dec 2014
zarb
NSW, 620 posts
21 Dec 2014 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

Any ideas for a cheap flat-water overseas tropical kiting destination around July? Good local food is a plus!

Don't really mind doing without a specific kiteboarding camp, but some method of downwinders for my novice wife would be a great help as well.

Is Cocos Keeling affordable if you avoid the kite-specific holiday packages? Is it possible to shuttle for downwinders without belonging to a kite group?

nigelw2
VIC, 237 posts
21 Dec 2014 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Cocos isn't cheap however u do it and solo down winders won't be an option, theres no one to pick u up and as far as i know you need clearance from the airport because u go close to the runway
It is awesome though

nigelw2
VIC, 237 posts
21 Dec 2014 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

P.S best place I have ever seen for a learner kiter, shallow, flat warm water for miles

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
21 Dec 2014 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

had some mates working at the cocos islands who told me how good the wind was there, I didn't know zephyr had a gig until I arrived,
its a specky spot for everything related to water, good surf, amazing fishing, diving, snorkelling, we had a great time , all up, I think it cost us around $2500 each for 2 weeks, so as a family of 4 it was pretty costly, you can go solo and do the righty by doing a membership with jennie, means you can leave your gear down the shack etc etc, honestly if your a beginner it a good spot, but if you like chasing waves and shoreline conditions you might be better elsewhere, everyone ive spoke to has really enjoyed the zephyr gig though, especially the social side of things,

Wilkothewiz
NSW, 18 posts
22 Dec 2014 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Yep second that regarding Cocos. You will learn HEAPS with kitesurfing there.

Water is is shallow and warm, excellent wind and a great island, Tax or duty free island so the booze is cheap. Food is reasonable too but a bit pricey from the supermarket but everything is shipped or flown in so what would you expect.

Check on the flights, Virgin now direct flights from Perth which I think depart on Saturdays and around midday too. So you don't need to overnight in Perth now If flying from the east coast.

Zephyr toours are excellent and I would certainly recommend them. The wife and I went this year and hope to return to the island. She doesn't kite surf but had a couple of lessons whilst there.

Cheers

Wilko

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
22 Dec 2014 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Cocos is great for kiting and you can do your own thing with downwinders, most of the accommodation places have bikes so just leave a bike down at the old wharf to ride back home on. Do a down winder in the morning and stop off for a surf on your ride back to town, hook up with a local and they usual offer you a board to use from the shack

For $20 dollars you can join the yacht club (large shed) and you can store your gear in there. It has its own BBQ area, toilet and fresh water.

There is a sign on the side of the runway with the Airfield Operations Manager Mob No, give him a call and he will let you know what days there are no flights and when its ok to do a downwinder past the runway.

On the down side food is very limited and expensive, there is really only 1 supermarket, 1 cafe and one other eatting venue. As an example breakfast out would be around $35pp. You can pick up fresh fish from one of the boys at the club for like $10 a kilo which was amazing on the BBQ.

deanrobi
VIC, 641 posts
22 Dec 2014 11:40AM
Thumbs Up

Have a look at the Cook islands, reasonable priced from the east coast of Aust, the family would enjoy Rarotonga for all things tropical and then shoot over to Aitutaki for a few days by yourself, just check the wind forecast first as the trades generally blow in a cycle, 5 or 6 days on followed by 2 days off

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
22 Dec 2014 11:47AM
Thumbs Up

If you want cheap try Northern Sumatra LhokNga near Banda Aceh, stay at Eddies home stay from $5 -$15 a night, 400m from the beach

Feed yourself from $2.50

Indo food not as exiting as Thai but they will cook you fresh fish any day as well.

Air Aisia from Perth return was about $600

Wind, can get strong, but irregular 6m - 12M would cover a lot

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
22 Dec 2014 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

I can recommend Eddies Homestay in Lhok Nga in Aceh

Is very cheap and relaxing

I stayed for 2 months in mid April- June

July should be ok

Only 25mins taxi ride from the airport at Banda Aceh

Wind is a little on and off but there are tropical waterholes to explore