Forums > Kitesurfing General

Confused Beginner

Created by MellowYellow > 9 months ago, 28 Jan 2008
MellowYellow
WA, 23 posts
28 Jan 2008 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

I have been reading the Review section (looking for a good beginner kite - see my other post Beginner Choices) and I seem to be getting more confused about some kiting terms.

As a beginner it has been suggested that I look at a Bow or SLE kite because of its easy relaunch and handling.

Can someone please tell me, in really simple terms, the difference (if any) between :
Bow kite
SLE
Hybrid
C kite

Can a C kite be an SLE?

Also, what is the difference between a OnePump and a Single Point Inflation system (they seem to read the same to me)?

Thanks

nathand
QLD, 211 posts
28 Jan 2008 9:27PM
Thumbs Up

hey bud mate just a beginer myself i bought an 07 lf havoc mate great kite its an sle , i have other c's aswel and in my opinion i liek the sle for the de power and the relaunch but the c flys just aswel, and the diff between the one pump and the multi pump is that the one pump all the struts and leading edge are connected together so they inflate and defalte vi the leading edge valve, makes life bit easier unless u blow one of these connecter lines in the water
correct me if im wronge fellas

Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
28 Jan 2008 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

nathand said...

hey bud mate just a beginer myself i bought an 07 lf havoc mate great kite its an sle , i have other c's aswel and in my opinion i liek the sle for the de power and the relaunch but the c flys just aswel, and the diff between the one pump and the multi pump is that the one pump all the struts and leading edge are connected together so they inflate and defalte vi the leading edge valve, makes life bit easier unless u blow one of these connecter lines in the water

Hey bud , mate just a beginner myself. I an 07 LF havoc mate , great kite , it's an sle. I have other c's as well, and the difference between the one pump and the multi pump , is that with the one pump all the struts and the leading edge are connected together , so they inflate and deflate via the leading edge valve. Makes life a bit easier unless you blow one of those connector lines in the water.
Correct me if I'm wronge fellas.

Sorry, Im bored
Just use the search function, been done about a gazzilion times. Lots of long very informing threads are out there.

user
WA, 1140 posts
28 Jan 2008 10:00PM
Thumbs Up

OK.

There is very little difference between a Bow and an SLE.
They are both flat kites with bridles.

SLE (Supported Leading Edge) was a term coined by Naish to describe their bridled flat kites because Cabrinha had already brought out the Crossbow,and they did not like being left behind !
Also,a true Bow kite has a concave trailing edge that matches the shape of the leading edge,whereas a SLE has a straight trailing edge.Most probably to avoid paying patent royalties to Bruno Ligggenxxxeeess?? company.

For all intents and purposes,they are the same and you can't go wrong with either.Much safer with lots of instant depower and really easy to relaunch.

A Hybrid kite is a cross between a C kite and a flat bridled kite.
They are not as flat and usually don't have bridles,but may have a 5th line.

A C kite can not be an SLE. They have no bridle.

Stick with your reccomendation. Get a Bow or an SLE.

One Pump is the name for the Slingshot system and Single Point Inflation is the name Naish came up withfor basically the same thing.Once again Naish had to make out they were innovators and avoid the royalties on the Slingshot One Pump system.

They both do the same thing,but the One Pump system is now an industry standard.I think Cabrinhas have it now.

I think that covers it. Anyone please correct me if need be.

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
29 Jan 2008 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Dawn Patrol said...

nathand said...

Hey bud , mate just a beginner myself. I an 07 LF havoc mate , great kite , it's an sle. I have other c's as well, and the difference between the one pump and the multi pump , is that with the one pump all the struts and the leading edge are connected together , so they inflate and deflate via the leading edge valve. Makes life a bit easier unless you blow one of those connector lines in the water.
Correct me if I'm wronge fellas.

Sorry, Im bored
Just use the search function, been done about a gazzilion times. Lots of long very informing threads are out there.

f*&^ing brilliant!!!!

walshd
SA, 601 posts
29 Jan 2008 12:31PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, A C kite can be an SLE.

Back in 05/06 BEST brought out the Yarga with attachment points on its leading edge to install a 4-line bridle. However the kite was made for a 5-line setup.

The 08' Yarga now comes standard with a 4-line bridled setup (or SLE). Try not to be fooled here. Many people class the 08' Yarga as a Hybrid kite because it has the bridle on the leading edge (SLE), however in my opinion just a modified C kite.

In beginner's terms, the difference between a C-kite, Hybrid and Bow is the kites power and depower characteristics. The Bow kites have the best power and depower capabilities. For example, a 10m Bow will have similar power in light winds to say a 12m C-kite, but can be flown safely in high winds similar to an 8m C-kite.

Getting more technical here, inflight a bow can nearly be 100% depowered in the middle of the window, whereas a C-kite needs to be on the edge of the window to be depowered. A C-kite will feel like it has more pull and grunt, however some Hybrids have this C-kite feel with the added bonus of more depower and easier relaunch. And also projected area comes into account when comparing kites. Some Hybrids have a bridle and pulley setup that allows the kite to flatten out like a Bow kite (more projected area) when fully powered and tuck into a C-kite (less projected area) when fully depowered. The SS Rev and 07' Naish SLE kites do this (Hybrids).

User has explained the kite's difference in the canopy shape. Try watching the different kites out in your area. You will notice that the Hybrids and Bow kites have a swept back leading edge, which when trying to relaunch on the water, allows the kite to simply rotate on its leading edge and fly off the water. However some C-kites are now sweeping back the leading edge to improve the relaunch, these C-kites are usually being called Hybrids. Confused yet?

It really depends how much money you are willing to pay. I always reccomend learners getting 2nd hand gear because they only end up crashing it into stuff and raping their gear before they get any good. Then when they do get good, their gear is 2 years old and they go and get brand new gear anyway. Any 07' kites are gold in the well known brands eg. Slingshot, Naish, North, Airush, F-One ect ect.

Good luck, you'll love it!!
Hopefully you dont have too many kitemares

SurfConnect
QLD, 1674 posts
29 Jan 2008 12:36PM
Thumbs Up

Take a lesson and your instructor will explain all. Kiting is not a sport you can learn by yourself or by reading on forums mate. Be warned though - it's highly addictive

MellowYellow
WA, 23 posts
29 Jan 2008 12:58PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks to all who have attempted to educate me in the ways of the kite. In some respects it is clearer in my mind, and in others a little cloudier Maybe that's just my mind

I have a run on a 2008 North Rebel 9m for a pretty good price, and this sounds like it could be a good beginner kite that can also take me to the next level, if I survive and don't die of salt water ingestion first

ps. I have had 3 lessons with SOS in Perth, and have thrown a few questions at my instructors, but most of the time was spent in kite instruction and getting my face off the surface of the water

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Confused Beginner" started by MellowYellow