Forums > Kitesurfing General

Deep water from vessell

Created by rayoli > 9 months ago, 16 Dec 2012
rayoli
65 posts
16 Dec 2012 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

A bit past beginner do self launch and land with a stand by in light to moderate conditions. I would like to know as skipper of vessel and stand by how to go about this type of launch, off a tri so space is good, give me the good bad and ugly.
Ray

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
16 Dec 2012 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Never done it but have often wondered about it off a yacht ( nothing quite like being on an 11m yacht in 15 to 20 knots wishing you were kiting!!) - seems that a bit of gear that looks like some kind of weird dildo called a Turbolauncher (Google /youtube it) could be handy to set up line properly before jumping over the side. Pumping up the kite on board in kiting wind could be problematic !!
I'm most concerned about the landing of the kite- seems that a 'self rescue' approach would be the best way of not shredding the kite in Yacht rigging etc - but either way you still need to be able to get back onboard with an inflated kite .

I assume you are looking to launch of a moored boat ? A moving boat adds another dimension!!

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
16 Dec 2012 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

arn't you your son's beach bitch????

good to see youv'e cut back on the drinking, at least during
day light hours

picker
VIC, 431 posts
17 Dec 2012 3:51AM
Thumbs Up

set it up.

pack it up.

pump it up.

get someone to hold the kite

point the boat into the wind

swim out with your bar and lines

untwist your lines

launch kite

kite away

dont bother with any gizmos if anything throw your lines into a bucket

rayoli
65 posts
21 Dec 2012 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for any feed back, sort before boarding pump and go is a good start,sounds too easy. thanks, and u2 kev.
fyi - most likely a crew of 2 and 2 kiters, vessel on a drouge in sheltered /open water, main up ready to follow.? 2 crew should be able to handle 10/12m pump up on board, and yes winches cleats and O/Bds will kfc your day.
not a subject i've seen much on, but kitoures could see an advantage in traveling lite outside shore facilities and favourable beaching sites.. to do from/to vessel has yet to be entered in the SB DB, young sport yet find the full potential, looking forward kites into the 20ies, going further than off beach, from the helm of the snack boat,
P.S now have a panasonic hx-wa10 in the kit, used from beach once and the only fault was operator,will be interesting see how it goes hand held underway, any experience passit on.

cheers + cheers

cheers cheers cheers

TurtleHunter
WA, 1675 posts
21 Dec 2012 10:10PM
Thumbs Up

sorry but you got it all back to front picker. let the kite drift out into the water while you sit on the transom. Theres no finding the extra person and swimming.
By the way rayoli you might want to check Lauries post after reading your last.

ceej
QLD, 30 posts
24 Dec 2012 3:59AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Rayoli
Where are you based. I have an old steel tug, 36ft shallow draft cutter rig. in Sydney and would like to start heading North in 6 months or so if I can get one of my mates into it. Head up the Coast stopping at Kiting spots.
If your this side. Might be fun to run in Convoy.
Cheers Chris

PelicanPete
QLD, 67 posts
25 Dec 2012 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Pump up your kite, unroll your lines into the water and make sure the are not tangled or crossed over. (Probably easier with a 4 line kite where the centre lines aren't so important) connect up the lines to the kite. Put the kite in the water leading edge down. Sink the leading edge so that water fills the top of the canopy (like you do with sand on the beach)
This will keep the kite on the water as it drifts away.

Secure the chicken loop
Let go of the kite and it will drift downwind.
The kite will slowly rotate as it drifts downwind, and wind will catch the trailing edge of the canopy and fill out.
The kite will roll over onto its leading edge downwind of you as the slack comes out of the lines.
Just like if you dropped your kite during a session.

The rest is just like doing a water launch.

If you make up a gig to tie on your rails liked a set of 4 rings to feed your lines through first you will be able to get the tangles out or make sure here are no tangles

rayoli
65 posts
30 Dec 2012 10:11PM
Thumbs Up

like the way yu put that pete, kiss and practical.+ picker 2
any other 2bobs worth welcome.
old steel tug, post some happy snaps on your con way,we'll keep a lookout.
first "white out test" tday after a couple of good20+ with showers sessions, then get 'one' more in time ...wind didn't pick up much it just pissed down into 'low vis'.
will be 'one' remembered day. whiteout
looks like wet seasons here now and tropical lows may be something to smile about.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
31 Dec 2012 1:45AM
Thumbs Up

rayoli said...
first "white out test" tday after a couple of good20+ with showers sessions, then get 'one' more in time ...wind didn't pick up much it just pissed down into 'low vis'.
looks like wet seasons here now and tropical lows may be something to smile about.

lol?

BennyB12
QLD, 918 posts
31 Dec 2012 3:43AM
Thumbs Up

surfingboye said...
rayoli said...

lol?

I know, it's off it's head eh?
Funny thing is, after being on seabreeze for a couple of years now, I actually understand what he's saying..

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Deep water from vessell" started by rayoli