Forums > Kitesurfing General

Do not ride over mating Stingrays!

Created by braaad > 9 months ago, 14 Jan 2009
braaad
QLD, 82 posts
14 Jan 2009 9:57PM
Thumbs Up

A bit of a funny story,

Had been out on the water for a few hours and noticed this big white thing in the water, looked like a giant bit of floating plastic. I was heading straight for it and it didn't look all that menacing so I didn't try to avoid it.

As I got closer (too close to change course) I noticed it was two Stingrays, one upside down (hence the white). I ran straight over the top of them, needless to say one of them wasn't too happy, flapped around with its wing things and jumped out of the water and landed on my thigh, no joke.

Something jabbed my thigh which I inspected after it bounced off and no puncture or anything, thought I'd better check because ive never been stung before, in case there was some sought delayed reaction or something lol.

Moral of the story don't run over (mating?) Stingrays or you may end up like Steve Irwin. RIP

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
14 Jan 2009 10:37PM
Thumbs Up

Watch out for ANY stingrays!!!

They are evil.

colinwill78
VIC, 1395 posts
14 Jan 2009 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Those things are cool. Have seen that kind of thing and other stingray things at one of my favourite spots 100's of times. They usually just take off...very fast but so smooth. Pretty to watch.
only one ever chased me, then i realised i was chasing it with my kite shadow, did put the sind up me for a moment

phrase
WA, 228 posts
15 Jan 2009 3:40AM
Thumbs Up

I don`t doubt you braaaad but how slow were you going that you ran over it, then it flapped about for a bit then it landed on your thigh?
I tried following a dolphin once, no chance it was just to quick. Good fun though.

Jeff2231
NSW, 414 posts
15 Jan 2009 9:10AM
Thumbs Up

Man I'd wanna stab someone too if they ran me over halfway through a session... That's gonna be a hard interuption to recover from.

braaad
QLD, 82 posts
15 Jan 2009 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

phrase said...

I don`t doubt you braaaad but how slow were you going that you ran over it, then it flapped about for a bit then it landed on your thigh?

Wasn't going fast at all, was in a lull which is why I couldn't edge up any higher to avoid them. To be honest I don't know exactly how it jumped, I was too busy crapping myself.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Do not ride over mating Stingrays!" started by braaad