Forums > Kitesurfing General

Down winder Palm to Dee why?

Created by Luke Ratcliff > 9 months ago, 16 Nov 2007
Luke Ratcliff
NSW, 28 posts
16 Nov 2007 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

If anyone wants to do a downwinder from Palm beech to Dee Why Iam keen ( or the other way?)Maybe one afternoon say from 3 to 5pm on either a Thu or Fri? My number is 0413 043810. If anyone has done this how was it? What saftey issues are there to consider and what should i be thinking about in the planning?

Cheers Luke

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
16 Nov 2007 2:02PM
Thumbs Up

It's been done a few times, there a lot of holes in the wind as you come down the coast. To get the best wind you need to go out pretty far, but it can be dangerous if you don't have a chase boat. Another stress is if the wind **** out, many of the beaches on the way are not suitable for landing on in a nor-easter. You would want to m ake sure your wing man is experienced and trust worthy. Apart from all that, a lot of fun!

Regards,

JB

TomClift
NSW, 50 posts
16 Nov 2007 4:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Luke,
Agree with JB that it's got its risks - here are the ones that i experienced:
1. Nth Beaches NE must be forcast to be a 20-25knotter - NEsters don't blow half as strong as they forcast they do on the Nth beaches. Even if its windy at Palmy, the wind can drop more than half by the time you get near Avalon. (much better south sydney) This is especially true because there are some big headlands that you will need to pass safely that don't have good places to come in on if the wind dies.
2. If the wind is good - do not be tempted to get into the waves too close to the beaches north of North Narrabeen - the wind shadows are huge there and becomes extremely luffy. One friend got washed into Monavale because of this and had to walk down to the southern tip to get a breath of wind.
3. Better go with a good crew, and even better have someone in a car knowing you're going to follow - or even better still some guys have carried a mobile in a waterproof protector.
4. Come in either at Fishermans or the main beach at Longreef. If Longy - then watch out for submerged rocks around whiterock and butterbox - there are some large boulders that suck dry. Dee Why beach has little room for landing a kite especially with the new stone wall prominade.

Having said all risks - it's a great downwinder - and best if you take it slow with lots of tacks and riding the ocean swell - coz its over before you know it! The beach along Narra is great for spending a long time around.

Cheers

T

Flying Kiwi
WA, 258 posts
16 Nov 2007 2:19PM
Thumbs Up

As JB said it is a good run, but having a decent wing man is essential, as is a mobile in a waterproof case to call for help if anything happens.

Also before you take off from Palmy let the lifeguard know so they don't come chasing after you once you go round the headland.

I wouldn't set out until I was powered on my 11m if I was on a twin tip, as there are some dodgey patches. Whale and Mona Vale beaches look inviting but have BIG wind shadows at their Northern Ends. Each downwinder I've done has had at least one person caught out there, and not able to relaunch.

Should be a good chance for a run next week, hopefully some waves turn up!

Gav

Luke Ratcliff
NSW, 28 posts
16 Nov 2007 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for all the info, sounds like a southerly might be preferred? start at long reef finish at Palm beech?

JB
NSW, 2232 posts
Site Sponsor
17 Nov 2007 9:16AM
Thumbs Up

You just need to watch the wind shadow at palmy in a southerly. Make sure there is some east in the wind. If you get caught out in the shadow, it's easy to drift very close to the rocks at Barrenjoey.

JB

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Down winder Palm to Dee why?" started by Luke Ratcliff