Forums > Kitesurfing General

Dumb and Dumberer Thread.

Created by dave...... > 9 months ago, 27 Nov 2011
dave......
WA, 2119 posts
27 Nov 2011 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

I saw some crazy stuff happen this weekend. Am am not trying to bag anyone out, education is my only priority, and of course keeping areas open to all.

Today at Woodies, I saw a guy walk around from the offshore side on a white and green Torch with his kite in the sky to Beach one, as there's not much wind today. Due to being in close proximity of a 4 storey Dredging station and trees, his kite was very uncontrolled due to the vortexes created by the above. as he went past, I had to say something. "mate, if the rangers catch you doing that youll probably be shot". His relpy was "I never do this". Isaid "not true, cause thats exactly what you just did"..... This sets a very poor example to anyone who does not know about wind vortexes and the issues of large objects both behind you AND in front of you, and on a road, inland? The kite also behaved quite badly around all the cars parked and he just kept it up. Any more crazy stories from this weekend? I heard Safety bay was a Zoo yesterday....

Please those in the know say something nicely...

Underoath
QLD, 2433 posts
27 Nov 2011 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Guys... if you want to hit the pond when conditions are epic- take a sick day.

the gibbo
WA, 776 posts
27 Nov 2011 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

dave...... said...

I saw some crazy stuff happen this weekend. Am am not trying to bag anyone out, education is my only priority, and of course keeping areas open to all.

Today at Woodies, I saw a guy walk around from the offshore side on a white and green Torch with his kite in the sky to Beach one, as there's not much wind today. Due to being in close proximity of a 4 storey Dredging station and trees, his kite was very uncontrolled due to the vortexes created by the above. as he went past, I had to say something. "mate, if the rangers catch you doing that youll probably be shot". His relpy was "I never do this". Isaid "not true, cause thats exactly what you just did"..... This sets a very poor example to anyone who does not know about wind vortexes and the issues of large objects both behind you AND in front of you, and on a road, inland? The kite also behaved quite badly around all the cars parked and he just kept it up. Any more crazy stories from this weekend? I heard Safety bay was a Zoo yesterday....

Please those in the know say something nicely...

WTF, why would you do that anyway ??

rickwindt
WA, 245 posts
27 Nov 2011 8:47PM
Thumbs Up

I had something happen to me... I am only a beginner. Was out at melville today. I was walking out with my kite at 12 to get out of the busy 'teaching' zone and board start further up. all of a sudden a guy upwind of me crashes his kite about a meter from my head. That for one was a scare but after that he started relaunching his kite straight away pulling it towards me while I screamed to pull his other steering line. He didn't listen and it took off straight into me. it brought me off balance and me being a beginner as well lost control and I dropped my kite crossing my lines over my old instructors lines who (thank god) had his kite in the water at the time so I could slowly bring my lines over his head and work it up again.

that is busy Melville for ya..

In the end everything was fine and off course it's all fun and games and everyone learns from mistakes. It could have ended a lot worse.

mitch88
NSW, 271 posts
27 Nov 2011 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Underoath said...

Guys... if you want to hit the pond when conditions are epic- take a sick day.

Aussies are renowned for "chucking sickies" but who wouldnt for a epic session!

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
28 Nov 2011 12:53AM
Thumbs Up

Does everyone go to the one spot over in WA? It sorta sounds like my local break when there is a swell on, every man and his dog plus other blowins are there. Personally thats why I took up kiting, to get away from the hassle of busy days.

I'm sure not all WA is like this as its such a massive coast but these areas that are under the scrutiny of the council sound like a **** fight.

Maybe the answer is to get off the flat water,give up the pretend wake boarding, get a surfboard and hit the beaches!!!

Feels good to get that rant of the chest!!!!

rickwindt
WA, 245 posts
27 Nov 2011 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

surfingboye said...

Does everyone go to the one spot over in WA? It sorta sounds like my local break when there is a swell on, every man and his dog plus other blowins are there. Personally thats why I took up kiting, to get away from the hassle of busy days.

I'm sure not all WA is like this as its such a massive coast but these areas that are under the scrutiny of the council sound like a **** fight.

Maybe the answer is to get off the flat water,give up the pretend wake boarding, get a surfboard and hit the beaches!!!

Feels good to get that rant of the chest!!!!

There are quite a few popular beaches in and around Perth. Melville waters which is a spot on the river gets really busy because Perth always tends to get SW seabreezes pretty much every day and Melville is perfect for that. Also Melville has shallow waters going out quite far which is good for the beginners.. So it's PACKED with beginners on the weekend (I am one of those)

are you saying kitesurfing is pretend wakeboarding? haha I reckon kitesurfing is so much cooler than wakeboarding.. takes a lote more skill and practice!

Jared888
WA, 389 posts
28 Nov 2011 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

agree with surfing boy,

If u want to only kite flat water on a TT in the metro area u have to put up and shut up about the crowds

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Dumb and Dumberer Thread." started by dave......