Forums > Kitesurfing General

Electric pump

Created by iggypop > 9 months ago, 11 Jun 2016
iggypop
VIC, 164 posts
11 Jun 2016 4:39PM
Thumbs Up

so I bought one of those rechargeable electric kite pumps 2 years ago
my mate got sand n it and now it only does the first stage of pumping and compressor won't kick in to pump it up hard
is there a fix for this ?
can they be taken apart and cleaned out ?
or do I just chuck it
its an island brand one with built in battery

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
11 Jun 2016 4:47PM
Thumbs Up

take apart your mate and get a new one

iggypop
VIC, 164 posts
11 Jun 2016 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

Good 1
ive just taken it apart and looks like it's fixed

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
11 Jun 2016 6:40PM
Thumbs Up

Was it a jammed up gear drive then? Just wondering
what was your problem with the pump?

Thanks

Peahi
VIC, 1473 posts
11 Jun 2016 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

just had mine replaced under warranty after almost a year, just died completely, but it was also getting to the point where it was struggling to pump over 50kpa. Seemed like the battery (lead acid) was fading. I never used it on sand and took good care of it.

the replaced one looks a bit better but also seems to struggle at about 50kpa, I usually go for 55kpa and maybe more say 60 on smaller kites.

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
11 Jun 2016 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
iggypop said..
Good 1
ive just taken it apart and looks like it's fixed

Bugger. I was going to say it was time it got chucked out.... in my direction :)

KiteBud
WA, 1536 posts
11 Jun 2016 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

I simply can't understand the need for electric pumps especially since the newer models of kite pumps came out.

With latest pump designs, you can inflate a kite 3x faster than with an electric pump with minimal effort. 9m kite takes me 30 seconds, 12m kite 45 second, and 7m kite 20 seconds... all with little effort

If you don't have the energy or fitness level to pump a kite then you probably don't have enough energy or fitness level to kite

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
11 Jun 2016 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..
I simply can't understand the need for electric pumps especially since the newer models of kite pumps came out.

With latest pump designs, you can inflate a kite 3x faster than with an electric pump with minimal effort. 9m kite takes me 30 seconds, 12m kite 45 second, and 7m kite 20 seconds... all with little effort

If you don't have the energy to pump a kite then you probably don't have enough energy to kite

dont forget that these machines are destroying kites by over pumping them.

but *whores i mean middle aged men will have they're trinkets

castill0jf
VIC, 563 posts
12 Jun 2016 6:10AM
Thumbs Up

I can answer your question cbulota. There are people like me over 50 don't like to pump big kites. Also sometime there are days you are changing kites during the day. I don't leave my kites on the sun or for dogs to walk on top of the canopy The small kites I agree no need. Also there are people that experience pain on the lower back. cheers.

Fly on da wall
SA, 725 posts
12 Jun 2016 6:00AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
castill0jf said...
I can answer your question cbulota. There are people like me over 50 don't like to pump big kites. Also sometime there are days you are changing kites during the day. I don't leave my kites on the sun or for dogs to walk on top of the canopy The small kites I agree no need. Also there are people that experience pain on the lower back. cheers.

I agree with you about back pain. I used to get a sore back and since getting an electric pump my sessions are longer and I don't get the back pain..

Short arse's probably don't have the problem cause those stupid pumps aren't very ergonomic for tall people. And my electric pump has outlasted those THROW AWAY pumps that don't last long at all before the seals go.
Electric pump works out cheaper cause it doesn't need to be replaced anywhere near as often.. imho

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
12 Jun 2016 7:43AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
castill0jf said...

And some people have Velcro straps instead of shoelaces

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
12 Jun 2016 7:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Fly on da wall said...
castill0jf said...

I agree with you about back pain. I used to get a sore back and since getting an electric pump my sessions are longer and I don't get the back pain..

Short arse's probably don't have the problem cause those stupid pumps aren't very ergonomic for tall people. And my electric pump has outlasted those THROW AWAY pumps that don't last long at all before the seals go.
Electric pump works out cheaper cause it doesn't need to be replaced anywhere near as often.. imho

Had an ozone pump since the 1st catalyst came out, still going strong, if you do a bit of maintenance and go to the trouble of giving it a clean once a season, not only does it do mine generally the other locals grab it too ,
You don't have to put your back under any pressure if you have a correct posture when pumping up, bend you knees not your back,
It's actually a good warm up,
If that's too physical I'd look at mini- golf or bowls

Freddofrog
WA, 522 posts
12 Jun 2016 8:10AM
Thumbs Up

This place is getting so predictable.

OP asked about repair advice and it's turned into a electrical pump debate.......again....

carbine
WA, 1440 posts
12 Jun 2016 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said..

castill0jf said...

and fly Ozone.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
12 Jun 2016 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
carbine said...
cauncy said..

castill0jf said...

and fly Ozone.

Nope but I can see how you came up with that,
DCI carbine

Peahi
VIC, 1473 posts
12 Jun 2016 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbulota said..

If you don't have the energy or fitness level to pump a kite then you probably don't have enough energy or fitness level to kite

For me its a case of riding my bike home in summer (up to 24km into a 20kn+ headwind) as quick as I can after work, getting to the beach, set the pump, put on wettie while its pumping etc, out in less than 10 minutes and therefore more time kiting before I get home and snarled at by the wife

Its nothing to do with fitness, I clock over a 150 sessions a year, mostly in summer obviously. I actually prefer hand pumping as the stupid electrical one never gets the pressure right.

Oh and if you want to pump up my 17m you are most welcome.

Peahi
VIC, 1473 posts
12 Jun 2016 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
castill0jf said..

take it from me this guy is usually out when its under 10 degrees with -10 degrees windchill 11 degree water, mid winter and waves are pumping no-one else out, started kiting a year or two after I did and is definitely more experienced in waves than me. and winter in vicco means sub 15 knots to 30+ in one afternoon and backagain not sure how many kites cover that range.

iggypop
VIC, 164 posts
13 Jun 2016 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Jeesuz that escalated quickly
I originally bought pump after i had abdominal surgery (pumping kite really affected that area )

I think the problem with pump was the spring that makes compressor kick in was jammed with grit
All good now
Yeah im fit enough to pump up a kite
I ride a 14 meter kite and sometimes have to change to a 17 m mid session
Its a bit of a luxury and i probably wouldnot buy another one now my guts are fixed
However the 17 does take the piss a bit on a 40 degree day [:D
Good to see so many level headed objective replies to a question about a mechanical issue
Lol at you desperate trolls you should really get out more
Ps when it does die ill get a new school taller pump as im over 6ft tall any one know where to get thise wmfg pumps from they look the business

iggypop
VIC, 164 posts
13 Jun 2016 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HighzaKite said...
just had mine replaced under warranty after almost a year, just died completely, but it was also getting to the point where it was struggling to pump over 50kpa. Seemed like the battery (lead acid) was fading. I never used it on sand and took good care of it.

the replaced one looks a bit better but also seems to struggle at about 50kpa, I usually go for 55kpa and maybe more say 60 on smaller kites.

Thats definitely pumped up champ i think i go to 40 odd from memory

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
13 Jun 2016 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

i had an electric pump for my 19 and 15 . Anything smaller i used a manual pump. Even better than an electric pump is moving to foil kites.

jester56
QLD, 50 posts
13 Jun 2016 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

i use an electric pump. for me it is not about back pain or being lazy its all about pumping my kites up to a consistent pressure. i have launched hundreds of kites and quite often i think that kite feels a little soft.also my son destroyed six of my hand pumps .i got sick of buying them.he then left my electric pump sitting on the beach in 25 knots and filled it with sand. it suffered the same problem with it not changing to the compressor so i just wired in a manual switch and just operated it when the pressure gauge was showing 10kpa

RosieKB
VIC, 240 posts
13 Jun 2016 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

If I got to the beach and someone offered
to pump up my kite while I sat around talking - I'd say yes please every time.. Isn't that what an electric pump does?
Nobody offers to pump my kites up and I'm too tight to buy one - so I pump up my own kites..

Jono77
WA, 351 posts
13 Jun 2016 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
jester56 said...
i use an electric pump. for me it is not about back pain or being lazy its all about pumping my kites up to a consistent pressure. i have launched hundreds of kites and quite often i think that kite feels a little soft.also my son destroyed six of my hand pumps .i got sick of buying them.he then left my electric pump sitting on the beach in 25 knots and filled it with sand. it suffered the same problem with it not changing to the compressor so i just wired in a manual switch and just operated it when the pressure gauge was showing 10kpa

I think the problem is your son, not the pump

Peahi
VIC, 1473 posts
13 Jun 2016 10:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RosieKB said..
If I got to the beach and someone offered
to pump up my kite while I sat around talking - I'd say yes please every time.. Isn't that what an electric pump does?
Nobody offers to pump my kites up and I'm too tight to buy one - so I pump up my own kites..

and its a great conversation starter. you're welcome to use mine next time I am down

w8ingforwind
QLD, 259 posts
14 Jun 2016 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Plumbed my air con pump in my van (witch had stopped working a long time ago) into a compressed tank and solenoid.
Hit the ac button on the way to the beach and pull up with enough air in the tank to fill my 12 without leaving the van running worked vary well till someone ran the van into a ute and wrote it off. The air con in my new ride still works so it is back to hand pumps.

Peahi
VIC, 1473 posts
18 Jun 2016 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
iggypop said..

HighzaKite said...

Thats definitely pumped up champ i think i go to 40 odd from memory

40kpa = 5.8 psi, I would have thought 7psi minimum for most kites

I usually set it to 55 on a 10m, 60 on smaller kites and never seems quite enough but I think that's because the back pressure on smaller kites is stronger

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
18 Jun 2016 7:20AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh mine is set on 55 as well! same pressure every time.

Have mine in a backpack, easy to carry down with all gear to beach... with a kite connector attached to bag.

As kite pumps, lay out lines. set up a bit quicker so the other mofos have to launch my kite, leaving the last in line to tether or self launch ...lol

not bad in winter when ya want to get kite up quick smart before the front hits...

had it for three odd years now.

Mate has has one of those new tall FMWG ?.. ...whatever the farq they are called thingies. Nice unit. If and when the electric sh1ts itself, might get me one of those.

..or got several pumps going back several years that still work just fine....

Electric necessary...nah!! better...yep!!! Would I buy another one...probably not ..lol.

csjena
VIC, 249 posts
18 Jun 2016 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Christian, Wow that's quick 30 sec for a 9m......what pump are you talking about?

thorn
WA, 172 posts
18 Jun 2016 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

I have had a few issues with mine over the last 5 years of use e.g.. switch needed replacing and 2nd stage not kicking in. With the latter the lever was jammed up. All simple fixes and I'd never be without it. Some see it as lazy but if people are honest nobody likes pumping up kites. By the time my kite is inflated I've run out my lines and it's waiting for me. I inflate my Naish Pivots to 60kpa and have done for the last two years. They fly great.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Electric pump" started by iggypop