Forums > Kitesurfing General

Entry level foils boards for beginners

Created by kiteboy dave > 9 months ago, 5 Apr 2015
Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
24 Aug 2015 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

How do these ones look? Couple of us have been toying with building/ buying a foil each for a couple of years , last Saturday whilst in my shed the subject came up again , We started pulling out bits and pieces out of the shed , bits of ply , timber , couple of old sailboards ( 1 we will end up using .pictured ,the other one is too big).Several hours later we had the basic parts to put a couple of these things together. Did some research , called on a successful boatbuilder for a decent lay up schedule for the carbon . Even built an oven to cure the hi temp epoxy.

Mast is form ply ,fuselage is western red cedar , wings are curved laminated marine ply , boards are old sailboards , all shaped by hand with fairly basic hand tools . So far the price is a huge $330 for 2 complete setups foils and boards( we bought a second board off eBay for $20 , exactly the same as one in picture ) , probably another $30 on bits and pieces ( paint brushes for the glassing , some stainless bolts ect )

start laying up the carbon tomorrow night , we'll see how it all goes?

Btw the front wing will be solidly attached to the fuselage ,rear wing will be removable in order to make fine tuning adjustments to the angle of attack With the use of shims under the front or rear of the wing. Rear wing looks flat but is actually curved and airfoil shaped like the front one ,the foil shape is on the bottom of the fin .

N

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
25 Aug 2015 8:52AM
Thumbs Up

skebstebamal said..
I just had my second session in 12-18 on my Zeeko Alloy. Absolutely love it. Getting full runs and changing direction when i choose....not after a face plant... made a few gybes (not on foil) and a few tacks...even going down wind now... still bloody scary though : )

I gave my mate a run who is on the home made one (see back a few pages) and he could not believe how fast the Zeeko was. especially off the wind.

Now I'm obviously new to it, so what feels crazy fast to me is no doubt slow compared to the world cup foils, BUT, for me in rolling open ocean swell and chop the allow was well quick enough for my liking.

sick fun...if your thinking about it, get a decent foil straight up... now I go back to the home made slow one, its not even comparable.

Good to hear you're loving it. Keep the reports coming as you're probably just about the first real world user to post feedback on the internet.

As for speed it seems really quick for the money. Nicholas Zeeko said he took it out back to back with the carbon one and made 29kts with the alloy and 32kts with the carbon. He stated that it should reach 30kts in ideal conditions.

To put that in perspective apparently the LF (+Cab etc) tops out around 15kts, I haven't heard anyone claim over that but could be wrong..

Alpine claim 32.9 from a customer with the alloy access 5.0 but with the faster sport wing at 495 Euro extra.

TheKiteFoil claim up to 30kts if you choose the speed wing - at extra $300 US. They claim 22-24kts top for standard Manta.

I'm loving the size/shape/weight of this little freestyle board, could be ordered as a 2nd board with any plate attachement foil.
At 470 Euro it's affordable too. Like a cheaper Horue freestyle board. Called the Kakoo Compact.

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
25 Aug 2015 10:30AM
Thumbs Up

9 pages . when are you going to make a decision FFS

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
25 Aug 2015 12:49PM
Thumbs Up

at around the 30 page mark

Seriously, I have an email to zeeko drafted and ready to go, account created, items in shopping cart.

Just waiting to hear back from SU-2 dude who's on holidays until this week sometime, because if they're up to scratch and have a 2nd foil in the works shortly then they could be a game changer @ $1450 plus shipping for a full carbon foil & board package.

Leighbreeze
WA, 547 posts
25 Aug 2015 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Keep doing the homework Dave.Sounds like your getting close.Might be a good Christmas present mate.??

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
25 Aug 2015 4:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rattlehead said..
How do these ones look? Couple of us have been toying with building/ buying a foil each for a couple of years , last Saturday whilst in my shed the subject came up again , We started pulling out bits and pieces out of the shed , bits of ply , timber , couple of old sailboards ( 1 we will end up using .pictured ,the other one is too big).Several hours later we had the basic parts to put a couple of these things together. Did some research , called on a successful boatbuilder for a decent lay up schedule for the carbon . Even built an oven to cure the hi temp epoxy.

Mast is form ply ,fuselage is western red cedar , wings are curved laminated marine ply , boards are old sailboards , all shaped by hand with fairly basic hand tools . So far the price is a huge $330 for 2 complete setups foils and boards( we bought a second board off eBay for $20 , exactly the same as one in picture ) , probably another $30 on bits and pieces ( paint brushes for the glassing , some stainless bolts ect )

start laying up the carbon tomorrow night , we'll see how it all goes?

Btw the front wing will be solidly attached to the fuselage ,rear wing will be removable in order to make fine tuning adjustments to the angle of attack With the use of shims under the front or rear of the wing. Rear wing looks flat but is actually curved and airfoil shaped like the front one ,the foil shape is on the bottom of the fin .

N

good work mate. looks nice keen to try it :)
For 1500 euro you can get a 2nd had spotz2, kfa mk3 or sword. At least you can try them locally and you you know for sure you got a good working foil because they have been proven at regattas around the world.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
25 Aug 2015 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
INTHELOOP said..

good work mate. looks nice keen to try it :)
For 1500 euro you can get a 2nd had spotz2, kfa mk3 or sword. At least you can try them locally and you you know for sure you got a good working foil because they have been proven at regattas around the world.

I really don't get your focus on regattas. The market is probably bigger in freeriding so what's the point to get a formula one if you are only interested in cruising and having fun????

I reckon it is good for the sport to have some backyard builders as these guys learn from their experience and then understand better how design affects the riding.

You are completely missing the point of people trying to build their own stuff. When I built my first foil board, the initial set up cost for shaping and vacuum bagging cost me more than buying a fancy TMV or ASV. Now I realise that the hype behind production board is actually a lot of bull**** and with little experience and good advices you can build as strong and as light as a production board for a fraction of their cost.

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
25 Aug 2015 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Marv ,love your work and respect your opinion , didn't say not going to go down the KFA road in the future will have to see how this pans out ?, but at the moment just want to get out there on a foil to give it a go.the race boards getting harsh on my ageing body and dodgy knee, not looking at racing at present ,just want to blast around .
this things going to owe me $200 and a couple of fairly easy weekends work.
half the fun is building something and making it work.
got a heap of these homebuilds in the area so should fit in well, may start up a shytter home build racing division?

Jay

Update on the build , just finished laying up the 2 masts ,they are in the oven baking , tomorrow arv will lay up the wings and fuselage .

pumpnjump
WA, 259 posts
25 Aug 2015 6:00PM
Thumbs Up

Well it's all finished, now all I need is a little wind!! Too light today :)

skebstebamal
QLD, 579 posts
25 Aug 2015 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
weebitbreezy said..

skebstebamal said..
I just had my second session in 12-18 on my Zeeko Alloy. Absolutely love it. Getting full runs and changing direction when i choose....not after a face plant... made a few gybes (not on foil) and a few tacks...even going down wind now... still bloody scary though : )

I gave my mate a run who is on the home made one (see back a few pages) and he could not believe how fast the Zeeko was. especially off the wind.

Now I'm obviously new to it, so what feels crazy fast to me is no doubt slow compared to the world cup foils, BUT, for me in rolling open ocean swell and chop the allow was well quick enough for my liking.

sick fun...if your thinking about it, get a decent foil straight up... now I go back to the home made slow one, its not even comparable.

How do you rate the zeeko alloy foil?

Lots of front foot pressure. Lots of lift?

i havent ridden race carbons like kfa, so cant compare other than to the home made one,..but...i think its awesome, its quick and stable.

As i mounted it to my surfboard it was not a precise balance on my first run like Nicolas from zeeko would get his boards. I set it up off his template. Which was ok, but i moved the strap 30mm forward on the second go and wholla! great balance back foot could sit on the tail pad...really level lift.. U can just ollie it up onto the foil and away you go.

I feel like ive basically got it now after two goes. Just need to work on trimming height in swells, and kite position dw. The bloody thing just goes faster and faster.. Ending often in cartwheeling crashes over the front :)

skebstebamal
QLD, 579 posts
25 Aug 2015 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..
Hey Marvin I also love your work and think you're probably the most knowledgable foil guy here.. so I really respect what you're saying and appreciate your input.

but..

it seems impossible to me to 'try before you buy'. For a start despite trying, I've yet to catch anyone actually foiling on the Sunshine coast, let alone convince them to let a stranger have a go. Even if I did, I'd only wipe out equally on any foil - like someone who's never ridden a bike trying a kmart special or a 10k carbon road bike.. gonna crash in 10m exactly the same on both.

There are a few 2nd hand race foils for sale, but honestly I've heard so many people say spotz or sword are completely unsuitable for beginners, or even after 18 months they still can't reliably complete a gybe or tack on one when they can jump on a more freestyle foil and nail it straight away. And with some of the speeds these stable beginner foils are reaching, all that twitchiness is only gaining you a couple of knots. Doesn't seem worth it for anyone but a dedicated racer, if you can reach 30kts anyway on an easier foil?

2 guys were out off mooloolaba monday lunch time.... :)

I dont think u can try before u buy cause u wont get up first go. So trying is near on pointless unless u can already foil, or someone is willing to let you have it for a week or so. . Which i wouldnt do......

if you think your keen either buy a cheap slow beginner one knowing u will be selling it in a few months or buy a good one and battle for a bit if it is a bit twitchy but will be better long term.

its just one of those sports.... Ur either in, or your out.....but thats just my opinion.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
26 Aug 2015 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
skebstebamal said..

2 guys were out off mooloolaba monday lunch time.... :)

Where, in the pocket down towards Pt Cartwright, or further north? I've only heard of guys foiling Golden Beach, so I've been cruising past there quite a bit and kiting there a bit too to get a feel for the channel. Ironic that I'm driving down there and there's guys foiling close to home.

Also, nice moves in this new vid

oldbones
QLD, 114 posts
26 Aug 2015 12:03PM
Thumbs Up

Built a my own foil (alloy mast, a couple of fins glassed together etc), thought it looked pretty good. Flogged myself learning to ride it for a few weeks (was going ok). Then had a go on a Sword and found the Sword heaps easier to ride than my home build. Nothing more satisfying than a good home build, but I suggest getting some who can foil to test and tune for you. So I built another one, wasn't much chop either so bought a KFA.

skebstebamal
QLD, 579 posts
27 Aug 2015 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Straight out front mooloolaba Dave. Launched at second carpark from end.

I'm keen to get everyone together on the weekend and do a social ride from say Mooloolaba upwind and around old woman island and back down. The ocean is the go IMO you get huge long runs to get the feel of it rather than turn around every 100m if in a channel. No current effects etc.

I get the feeling there will be a heap of people foiling this summer. We might even be able to get some informal social ocean races going. . race whatever youve got. : )

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
27 Aug 2015 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

I'm keen for anything in that area once I get foiling.
I'd some along and lend an hand in the meantime, give a launch etc.
It does take a bit of luck with timing though with a baby & toddler in the house, time is tight these days.

Going round old woman island is on my 'to do' list.

I've SUPed on calm days in the pocket there and it's pretty nice, clear water, real nice feel.
Bit of a daydream of mine to foil in there in light winds or just the right wind direction when it's still relatively flat & clear blue/green water.

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
27 Aug 2015 5:04PM
Thumbs Up

Just had news from Nico at Zeeko and Alloy foils will be back in stock September 20.

merlev
1 posts
1 Sep 2015 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone have thoughts on using the Kitefoil Manta on the Fone Mitu Convertable board? I'm concerned if it has enough rocker and if the strength/ build of the board is suitable for one learning on or I should say, crashing on without causing structural problems later on. I just like the idea of haven the dual purpose set up.

gokid
QLD, 491 posts
2 Sep 2015 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

Ive had a couple of goes on a foil board

Made some 50m runs

Think I was a little overpowered with my 17m Zephyer in the light wind

Next time I will try on a 12m kite

Had plenty of front foot pressure but it never stopped bucking

oldbones
QLD, 114 posts
3 Sep 2015 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds like your going alright "gokid". What foil were you on?

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
3 Sep 2015 8:18PM
Thumbs Up

Nearly ready to rock and roll . Boards ready , foils need fairing , bit of reinforcing where glued together .foils , mast ,fuselage and board plate , weighs whisker over 2 kg

So so far under $400 for 2 complete setups , I recon now I know what I'm doing I could knock one of these out fairly quick.

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
4 Sep 2015 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

We will have a demo Zeeko Alloy foil here in vic. Late September.
Anyone wishing to try it is welcome to pm me.

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
5 Sep 2015 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

Bit more progress couple more hours to go , pretty much all done , bit of fairing to go cosmetic only ,did the last bit of laminating and reinforcing this morning .

Rattlehead
QLD, 555 posts
5 Sep 2015 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Mock up ,looking good

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
9 Sep 2015 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Love ya work Rattlehead.

Mr delivery man came to my house yesterday..

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
9 Sep 2015 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Cabrinha Double Agent retail is $2,350 complete was hoping for sub $2,000 but I suppose there was little chance when. 12m 2016 Switchblade is retailing at $2,900

toppleover
QLD, 2043 posts
9 Sep 2015 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..
Love ya work Rattlehead.

Mr delivery man came to my house yesterday..

What are the specs & price on that bad boy Dave ?

I know of two other kiters on the sunny coast that have just got foils & I hope to do the same.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
9 Sep 2015 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

It's a Spotz 1 (2013) with 2 front wings, learner/light wind and race.

I paid $2000 for it plus a bit extra to ship over from WA - pretty much exactly what I had saved. Given our dollar's tanking so hard, even a new Zeeko would have been similar money.

I'm just hoping it's stable enough to learn / progress on - even the low aspect wing has a pretty small size & wingspan.
In the end I listened to Marvin, Skeb and a few others, higher potential speed with the trade off of learner stability.

I would love to hook up with other foil boarders on the sunny coast.
I really fight for time at the moment with demands of family & work but I'll do whatever it takes to make a meetup if it's humanly possible.

Leighbreeze
WA, 547 posts
9 Sep 2015 6:51PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dave, your pussy is a cutie.Sorry mate
I am wrapped for you really.
It's been a huge journey to follow the foiling fever that's been coming along with this great post.Congrats on your purchase looks awesome.
Bet your happy with that.Must be frothing to test drive it.
Still waiting for my set up,boards here foil any day.Can't wait.Yeha!!!!

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
10 Sep 2015 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Leigh, yeah you're right can't wait to get it out on the water and get the first few painful sessions out the way so the real fun can begin.

One of the things I've loved in recent years kiting is speed. That feeling when you're a beginner where you're a bit overpowered and you're going faster and faster and you have to do something or you'll just keep accelerating out of control until you exploded in a massive stack. Then when I wasn't a learner anymore in that situation I'd ease the kite up a bit higher and then send it and boost to the moon. But then the last few years instead of boosting I'd often try to wind it on, find a flat section of water and work the kite and just try everything to max out the speed, wring every last knot out of the gust.

I'm really looking forward to translating that feeling of speed and chasing more speed to a foil.

I've gotta go buy a helmet now, I'm thinking I'll just get a kmart cheapie bike helmet for now and reassess after 10 sessions.

Good to hear your KFA is about to arrive. Exciting times. Keep us posted.

Katz
VIC, 131 posts
10 Sep 2015 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

Dave, man why buy a cheap helmet when you are most likely to crash. It's like putting P platers into cheap cars that have no crash safety when they are at their most vulnerable.

Spend the $ and get one that works and will last.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Entry level foils boards for beginners" started by kiteboy dave