Forums > Kitesurfing General

Entry level foils boards for beginners

Created by kiteboy dave > 9 months ago, 5 Apr 2015
alty
WA, 62 posts
10 Sep 2015 1:46PM
Thumbs Up

Dave, well done for finally making the move. After all the investigation and analysis, I think you have made an excellent choice of foil. It's such a great foil for the money.

I have had my Spotz 1 for almost a year. It has been perfect to learn foiling on and is probably all you will ever need in a foil unless you are interested in racing (which I am). Even then I am not too far off the pace against the Spotz 2's around Perth (upwind angle, downwind angle, speed etc).

I recommend you start with the larger front wing as I think it will give you a bit better stability. Once you are confident, you can get a bit more speed out of the smaller race wing. I have found with the smaller wing you can quite easily get up to 25 or 26 knots but it gets harder to go beyond that. My top speed is 28 on it. But that feels very fast!

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
10 Sep 2015 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Alty - good to hear you've enjoyed the Spotz1 and found it good to learn on. There's not enough crew up here to race, unless we wedged onto a yatch club maybe, but it seems like it's growing really fast. I did some racing in Lasers, 420's, & cats when I was a teen, so I might end up keen again I guess.

You wouldn't believe it I started messaging another random guy on seabreeze today who is also learning on a Spotz 1, but up and foiling already, and guess where he lives? 15 houses up my street! Unbelievable.

Katz - probably right I shouldn't cheap on on the last hurdle. Just looking at moths in my wallet right now but I can get a decent helmet I guess.

Interesting to note that it seems like all of the foils on the buy/sell section have now been snapped up?

havasubob
6 posts
11 Sep 2015 12:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dave, just hit a few thrift shops and pick up a "skateboard" helmet. You don't want me to sustain all the new foiler bruises alone! That high performance on the Spotz will leave a few marks..... BTW I'm up and riding in one direction (only) in about 8 hrs of water time. I just hope it won't take me another 8 for the other direction. Cheers, B

Bletti
WA, 163 posts
17 Sep 2015 12:51PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like I'm still in the hunt for a starting foil. I exchanged a few emails with Marvin from In The Loop to buy the old KFA mk1 they have for sale. 3 weeks ago I transfered money from Canada to Australia so I could do a direct bank transfer to save them fees instead of using my CC to buy it. Despite 5 emails over the past 3 weeks I have never heard back since. What's the point of trying to buy locally and support Australian products when it's easier to get ahold of a french man on the other side of the world?

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
17 Sep 2015 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bletti said..
Looks like I'm still in the hunt for a starting foil. I exchanged a few emails with Marvin from In The Loop to buy the old KFA mk1 they have for sale. 3 weeks ago I transfered money from Canada to Australia so I could do a direct bank transfer to save them fees instead of using my CC to buy it. Despite 5 emails over the past 3 weeks I have never heard back since. What's the point of trying to buy locally and support Australian products when it's easier to get ahold of a french man on the other side of the world?

he has been overseas competing in a slalom event, but the best way to contact marvin is either facebook or phonecall . He isn't the quickest when it comes to email replies

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
17 Sep 2015 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Bletti there's a sword 1 & tamavento board tucked away at the back of the 'racing board' section with no photos for $2k. Only went up recently.
I don't know the merits of a sword 1 vs kfa1 but I think they rated pretty well generally the mast might be stiffer? food for thought anyway.

RAL INN
SA, 2884 posts
17 Sep 2015 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Bletti, I hope you are not calling me 'French'.

jamesperth
WA, 610 posts
17 Sep 2015 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

I'lol just throw this one in the mix - not really marketed as a "beginner foil" as such but I've just had 3 days riding the Levitaz Aspect 3 race foil in Europe. Guess what - it needs about 12 knots to start planing but from then on its the smoothest, most confidence inspiring thing I've ridden. The steel fuselage allows some flex which seems to give some softness to the ride, and it's got so little drag it feels non existent. I've had 4 months foiling and had no problems riding it, but watched complete foiling noobs manage to start riding it almost straight away. I don't own one but wow, it's really opened my eyes as to what €1500 will buy. Look what Olly Bridge has just acomplished in China.

Could you you learn on it from scratch, yes, but you'd want a full length wetsuit and booties as it's sharp !!

so, I've got a Liquid Force Foil Fish ( complete) and a brand new Magma Barracuda carbon foil (from Gunnar ex Flysurfer team rider). I guess I'm open to offers :). The Levitaz was that good .

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
19 Sep 2015 12:55PM
Thumbs Up

The strongest build foil and one of the fastest foils out there right now. The profiles are super low drag making it very slick and effortless through the water.
The 1st shipment of 10 foils will roll out to the Aussie crew 1st very soon. :)Hopefully lots of you guys get to try it so in the next months at your local.

wingman
VIC, 126 posts
19 Sep 2015 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Where can they be demo'ed ??
any in vic?

patto1987
NSW, 194 posts
19 Sep 2015 6:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
INTHELOOP said...
The strongest build foil and one of the fastest foils out there right now. The profiles are super low drag making it very slick and effortless through the water.
The 1st shipment of 10 foils will roll out to the Aussie crew 1st very soon. :)Hopefully lots of you guys get to try it so in the next months at your local.

Looks sick.. Can't wait...

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
20 Sep 2015 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
davnom said..
Where can they be demo'ed ??
any in vic?

There will be a few in Melbourne early to mid October.
We can organize a demo for you. What foil are you riding atm?

wingman
VIC, 126 posts
20 Sep 2015 10:46AM
Thumbs Up

LF foil fish

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
20 Sep 2015 8:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
davnom said..
LF foil fish

Cool. Going comfortable up and downwind?
Mate you will be frothing on a slick foil :)

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
22 Sep 2015 9:44AM
Thumbs Up

Had my first session yesterday. Made it about 2m at the most.
Was making steady progress on getting up when the wind dropped right out.
But I learned a lot and came in without any war wounds.

Great article courtesy of Mark.
If you're on the fence this might convince you...
www.iksurfmag.com/issue52/?page=23

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
22 Sep 2015 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

kiteboy dave said..
Had my first session yesterday. Made it about 2m at the most.
Was making steady progress on getting up when the wind dropped right out.
But I learned a lot and came in without any war wounds.

Great article courtesy of Mark.
If you're on the fence this might convince you...
www.iksurfmag.com/issue52/?page=23

We need footage.......

wingman
VIC, 126 posts
22 Sep 2015 2:46PM
Thumbs Up

Yes and yes.

Select to expand quote
INTHELOOP said..

davnom said..
LF foil fish

Yes and yes.
be good to try another brand.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
23 Sep 2015 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

Dave great purchase. Spotz1 is a good foil to learn on!The Sword1 is definitely much better than the KFA 1. KFA 1 and KFA 2 are good in light winds but not so good in over 15knots as strut is too soft and flexy.However, the Sword1 had some issues with delaminating struts. Ask to see the LE/TE of struts towards the plate. Thats the area where they tend to split 1st.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
23 Sep 2015 9:37PM
Thumbs Up

FYI the newest foilboard designs are under 3kg, full carbon.2.5kg foilboards is where its at. Its so nice to fly on a super light board :)

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
23 Sep 2015 9:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
davnom said..
Yes and yes.

INTHELOOP said..

davnom said..
LF foil fish

Yes and yes.
be good to try another brand.

Nice mate!I will let you know when the new KFA VX601 lands in Melbourne. It should be around mid October. We can organize some demos for anybody that is keen to try. Must have previous foiling experience.

Smithy
VIC, 858 posts
1 Oct 2015 7:24AM
Thumbs Up

Kite Boy, it's been a few weeks now... Well what's the progress. Better still any video of photos?

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
1 Oct 2015 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

Ha! No vids sorry don't own a gopro. If I had the money for one I'd be putting it in the '2nd hand foil kite' piggy bank anyway.

I managed to get to the beach 3 times so far.

1st: learned lots about handling in the water, keeping the foil outside of you & clear of lines, made it 2m max. Nice to see all the old faces at Brighton too, the old peanut gallery.

2nd: 10kts steady, looking good, as I'm running my lines out (last thing) a line of clouds comes over from the west and wind drops out, even backs around 180 for a bit. Finish rigging, hang around 45mins to see if it kicks in again - kinda but not enough, so pack up and go home.

3rd: Good session, mid-low at brighton in good steady 10-12kts. Problem is it's directly onshore. Walk & body drag 6 miles from shore but I just can't get deep enough - when there's a sandbar pattern at 90 degrees to the wind, you can be in deep water (can't touch bottom) but the next sandbar is just 5m downwind. No matter how far you drag cross & slightly upwind, can't escape them, there's always a bar 5m downwind.

Still, I managed to waterstart and ride the board properly (weight centred & way forward) about 10m before the foil hit bottom I think. Highlight of my foil career so far.

Another time I got about 5m at good speed when the board suddenly launched up and flipped me off the back, like slipping on a banana skin. Obviously riding it like a TT that time, weight too far back. Bit hairy as I was up in the air tumbling and looked down to see the upturned foil, but must have missed it. Glad I had helmet, impact vest, wettie at that moment.

Definitely worth wearing a helmet, I've whacked it a few times already just body dragging and stuff. And once it's on, don't think twice about it.

Strapless is going ok - I'm 50-50 about putting footstrap on but I'll probably stay strapless at the moment - definitely getting the board under me in the right spot much more often on the 2nd sesh. Starting the other way is harder though, I'm only getting it one way. It's like being a learner again, gotta find that balance point where you're at the right angle to the wind, and also the right position relative to the board so you don't swing round the board forward or backward as the kite pulls you, and gotta do it all while the foil sinks & rolls the board over, and have to use the kite diving tension to hold your feet in position so it doesn't slip away downwind while that's going on. Lot to manage in a few seconds. I'm finding a last minute push on the tail helps too, as I can get the front foot in position easy but getting the back foot up & into position is hard when the tail of the board is too close to you.

Unfortunately at this point the wife cracked it big time and to be fair she'd been diagnosed with bed rest & elevate her leg until it heals, and can't do it unless I'm there looking after the baby. So won't be any more foiling for a few weeks.

Next time I'll be heading out at Mooloolaba for sure, there's a good sunny coast crew keeping in touch on FB "sunshine coast foilers". Should be good, 15m body drag and you're in deep water.

Leighbreeze
WA, 541 posts
2 Oct 2015 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dave,sorry hear about the wife.
Sounds like hard work where you kite.
My KFA M3 & TMV board have arrived will
Have a crack tomorrow if Seabreeze happens down a my local Shark Bay.Have had advice to loose back strap use single front not tight.
Also have been advised stay of the foil as much as possible and get used to the feel.
When on foil if bucking more front foot.
Don 't wedge board over on rail keeping level.
Anyways will bloody find out soon enough.
Will apply body armour.Haha
Foiling Feverish ATM

bigtone667
NSW, 1504 posts
2 Oct 2015 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeighMajor said..
Have a crack tomorrow if Seabreeze happens down a my local Shark Bay.Have had advice to loose back strap use single front not tight.
Also have been advised stay of the foil as much as possible and get used to the feel.
Foiling Feverish ATM

Make sure you film it all for our enjoyment........it is fun, but man it is frustrating.

Leighbreeze
WA, 541 posts
2 Oct 2015 3:24PM
Thumbs Up

Think I just lost the Gopro or low battery any excuse will do??????

scubaste
WA, 210 posts
2 Oct 2015 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
LeighMajor said...
Foiling Feverish ATM

Hay Leigh

Dont forget your brain bucket ( helmet )

shodan
WA, 60 posts
2 Oct 2015 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys, I'm 5 sessions in on a Liquid Force Foil Fish and have just started to get some half decent rides. My advice is to ride with both straps as this helps alot with getting the board in position but have them very loose as I've almost sprianed an ankle when falling. Also be ready to kick out of the foot straps as early as posible as the foil, espeicialy when the board falls towards the toeside and your kness fold towards the board, doesn't allow the board to pop off your feet easily and I've got the front foot trapped more than once hence the almost sprained ankle.

As far as how much front foot is required use as much as would be needed to bury the nose of a normal surfboard. Because of this you need to get planning fairly quickly so don't be afraid to dive the kite as hard as you would for a normal waterstart as the will stop the front from nose diving before you can get going.

The easy way to tell if you are using enough front foot is the board will stay on the water off the waterstart. This means that when you reach foiling speed and the board lifts you'll already be in a ballanced position. You don't need to edge much but the biggest thing l learned was that some edge is needed to keep the kite pulling. If anyone is around the Cairns area and wants to get together I'll be there for one day, the 18th Oct, on the way back from the Australian Kite surfari I'm doing. Just pm me if anyone is interested getting in a sesh.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
2 Oct 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like I might get a play with the Slingshot foil on Sunday...

Leighbreeze
WA, 541 posts
3 Oct 2015 3:22AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Scub,yes mate have got a Gath helmet to protect the melon and a go pro mount to record all the carnage.

Great tips Shodan every thing helps.

Good luck Kami its like starting all over again.

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
4 Oct 2015 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Got some time today on the Alien Air and MHL Lift foil and my Speed3 15, thanks to the Slingshot dealer.

Bloody hell, water handling is a PITA! I figured out how to body drag, but our spot is just shallow enough for a couple hundred meters out to ground the foil, and just deep enough to make it impossible to walk... so I spent about 99% of the time splashing around trying to get to deep water.

Only got a half dozen or so so rides, out of a dozen start attempts, before I was worn out. My wish or goal was to water start, get up on the board and ride it on the water and let it lift with board speed. Now I look at it, I wonder if I wasn't a little overly ambitious... Shodan's tips helped!

First attempt was, of course, a total moon shot. Boing! and dragged over the foil... ow.
Next couple I got up on the board and moving, but sunk out in the light wind or got pushed off by chop.

The wind had picked up a little so body dragging out was easier, and the last 4 or 5 rides were easier too. I managed to get up on the board and riding, with a few seconds of feeling lift from the foil but not properly foiling before grounding out or mis-balancing the board and getting lobbed.

On the last two tacks, I got up and foiling properly for long enough to enjoy the ride -- maybe 4 seconds of kangaroo hopping, and finally 10 seconds of wobbly "omg omg I'm doing it I'm doing it!" before losing speed, lift, and grounding the foil again...

Yeah, good fun -- I can see me buying one won't be buying one here, as they're AU$4,900 at the moment and going up to $5,700 next season my car cost less.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Entry level foils boards for beginners" started by kiteboy dave