NSW, 1504 posts
20 Dec 2016 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RAL INN said...
bigtone667 said...
kiteboy dave said...
^agreed

Spitfire + AirRace board has arrived at first real world tester.

Main wing is much smaller than standard zeeko carver wing

I wonder what it will go like with Carver wing?

There's always one that has to push it that bit more.

I have the blue/white with carver and the biggest issue I have riding a wave is speed.

Easy to get onto the wave, but if you come in with any speed, it is almost impossible to slow down so you can start making turns.

I just figured a bigger wing will allow you to go slow but still maintain good lift.

It will be interesting to try.

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
22 Dec 2016 12:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RussKraut said...
Just got this little beauty. Will report more when I got her wet. Also with regards to suitability as entry level.

Just an update as I had another session on it. This time in 10-12 knots with flat water. Got up immediately and turning into toeside and back and forth easily. So I'd say this would be a serious contestant for the beginner friendly category. Not much harder than a beginner foil like LF Fish but much better behaving when riding powered and at speed. Difference for a beginner is perhaps that when choppy, the buoyancy of the board can make it harder to position the board for water start. But it helps clearly when touching down. I am stoked.

dachopper
WA, 1790 posts
22 Dec 2016 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Nice !
any ideas on the speeds your getting up to?

Kraut
WA, 542 posts
22 Dec 2016 10:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dachopper said..
Nice !
any ideas on the speeds your getting up to?

No idea. Does not feel too fast yet but that's because I am crap at it still. Hope to get a bit of speed generated as I am getting more confident over the coming weeks.

airsail
QLD, 1347 posts
20 Jul 2017 6:54AM
Thumbs Up

New North Speedster looks interesting, carbon moulded wings and fuselage at a good price. I haven't found any reviews, just the North provided info, has anyone had a go on one? Looking at buying my first production foil, had enough of the self build thing.
www.briskites.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2273

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
22 Jul 2017 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ I'd be very wary of anything that contains carbon and aluminium components. If there is any contact between carbon and aluminium in salt water, including via another conductor such as a stainless steel screw, there will be an electrolytic reaction that causes the aluminium to corrode much faster than without carbon. This lesson was learned the hard way by windsurfers in the early days of carbon booms. Can't believe they'd repeat the mistake. Maybe they've found a way to keep them completely insulated, but still, I'd be skeptical.

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
23 Jul 2017 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

airsail said..
New North Speedster looks interesting, carbon moulded wings and fuselage at a good price. I haven't found any reviews, just the North provided info, has anyone had a go on one? Looking at buying my first production foil, had enough of the self build thing.

Just to add to DJ's comments, I'd be wary of North. Their last foil was a super expensive out there ankle snapper. This one seems a bit odd as well in terms of design imho.

Personally I'd lean strongly to the Shinn from briskites for the same price. They're also just released & so far reputation is very positive, extremely learner friendly.

The "model P" is the only one listed which is the lower aspect D shaped front wing, but there is another "model F" which I'm sure they could source for you, if you preferred.

This guy likes the P. Both pictured.
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/blog/shinn-jackson-hydro-foil-boards/

airsail
QLD, 1347 posts
23 Jul 2017 8:06PM
Thumbs Up

kiteboy dave said..

airsail said..

Just to add to DJ's comments, I'd be wary of North. Their last foil was a super expensive out there ankle snapper. This one seems a bit odd as well in terms of design imho.

Personally I'd lean strongly to the Shinn from briskites for the same price. They're also just released & so far reputation is very positive, extremely learner friendly.

The "model P" is the only one listed which is the lower aspect D shaped front wing, but there is another "model F" which I'm sure they could source for you, if you preferred.

This guy likes the P. Both pictured.
www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/blog/shinn-jackson-hydro-foil-boards/

Yes I agree with both comments, carbon and alloy don't mix, but with an injection moulded process there may be enough insulation between the two materials. I'm guessing it will be a similar process tho what FCS use with there fibre filled fins. It will make it easy for mass production, that is if the foil works, hence my original question.
Shinn currently have a backlog for front wings. Foils have been big sellers during the European summer and there is a wait list in the UK. I expect that as their winter starts the backlog should be fixed.

Peahi
VIC, 1473 posts
23 Jul 2017 8:54PM
Thumbs Up

Let me guess. you've been kicked out of the foils forum again.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Entry level foils boards for beginners" started by kiteboy dave