Forums > Kitesurfing General

Epirb/Plb

Created by JimJones > 9 months ago, 15 Nov 2014
JimJones
QLD, 236 posts
15 Nov 2014 11:28AM
Thumbs Up

Can someone recommend a good EPIRB or PLB for kiting? Looking at doing the Catalpa race, and know I need one that complies.

(note: Yes we've debated the necessity of this, please keep that debate in the other threads)

I have been looking at these:

www.whitworths.com.au/gme-mt410g-406mhz-plb-with-gps

www.whitworths.com.au/acr-resqlink-406mhz-gps-plb

Any guidance appreciated.

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
15 Nov 2014 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

I do lots of SUP and kite races and travel in some remote places so I just bought the ACR one in your second link, it is nice and small and I think is worth paying the extra for.
It comes with a little floating pouch that has a belt/strap loop that can be attached to a harness, PFD etc. and you hardly notice it is there.

It also comes with a few extras that I see they have changed from when I got mine, I got the strobe light plus an LED headlamp and waterprooof bag.
It now comes with the strobe and a first aid kit.

I have heard of a few occasions where people lost at sea at night have seen search rescue boats near them but haven't been able to get their attention and wished they had had a light so I think this little strobe would be very handy if ever you found yourself in that situation.

polykarb
VIC, 284 posts
15 Nov 2014 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Ive also one from the second link... ( the + model upgrade which floats)

It came with awesome survival style first aid kit and strobe light via redemption.

Hopefully never have to use it....

JimJones
QLD, 236 posts
15 Nov 2014 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the replies guys, thought I was on the right track. I'll post what I get also.

PKR
WA, 217 posts
16 Nov 2014 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JimJones said..
Thanks for the replies guys, thought I was on the right track. I'll post what I get also.

Check out the king of Carnc page, company epirbhire we used has ex rental units going for a good rate, and quick delivery

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Epirb/Plb" started by JimJones