Forums > Kitesurfing General

Farewell seabreeze buddies.

Created by Bigwavedave > 9 months ago, 18 Nov 2011
Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
18 Nov 2011 10:33AM
Thumbs Up

Bigwavedave is off to live in Finland for a year or more.

Thanks to all the maniacs on this site for an entertaining 7 years of pointless banter.

No kiting for me for a while.

There will be wind next Thursday guaranteed. That's when I fly out of here.

I want to come back to a sport that's still legal so do me a favour?

If you see someone doing something stoopid at your local, SAY SOMETHING.

There will always be noobs but they only turn into kooks if you don't correct them.

One last piece of advice:

FOR F@#K'S SAKE LEARN TO TRIM YOUR KITE !!!! Poo stance looks so gay.

WA, 1255 posts
18 Nov 2011 9:02AM
Thumbs Up

haha, all the best - big move for bigwavedave

jev7337
QLD, 460 posts
18 Nov 2011 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

No kiting?? You're soft!

There are places to kitesurf, you just need a thicker wetsuit or drysuit. Once the snow comes back you can kite on the frozen lakes. You'd be silly no to try it.

There should be (fairly) cheap flight to the Canary Islands with plenty of sun and wind all year round - you will get sick of the darkness in winter that far north.

All the best.

Plummet
4862 posts
18 Nov 2011 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

mustn't be any interweb there either. .... .. . ..

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
18 Nov 2011 11:22AM
Thumbs Up

jev7337 said...

No kiting?? You're soft!

There are plenty of places to kitesurf, you just need a thicker wetsuit or drysuit. Once the snow comes back you can kite on the frozen lakes. Snow kiting in Finland rocks! You'd be silly no to try it.

There should be (fairly) cheap flight to the Canary Islands and there is plenty of sun and wind all year round - you will get sick of the darkness in winter that far north.

All the best.

Been there done that and to find wind over 10 knots in Finland is too much effort.
Kiting when its -20C is also very unexciting.

Kiting is not that great a sport that I really need to buy all that sh1t to do it. After 7 years at Caloundra everywhere else is dull.

Plenty of other sports that are way more fun!!

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
18 Nov 2011 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

Plummet said...

A holiday from Seabreeze is in order also. I'll be too busy working in the wards to worry about how upset everyone is with Waveslave and who The Doctor has verbally sodomised.

All I know is that green arrows will prevail at Caloundra until the day before my return!!!!

kiterboy
2614 posts
18 Nov 2011 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Bigwavedave said...

Plummet said...

A holiday from Seabreeze is in order also. I'll be too busy working in the wards to worry about how upset everyone is with Waveslave and who The Doctor has verbally sodomised.

All I know is that green arrows will prevail at Caloundra until the day before my return!!!!

you're really going to jail, aren't you?

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
18 Nov 2011 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Good luck buddy!
I can totally understand where your coming from haha, in that sort of temperature you are far better off riding a bike or a skateboard, or at least doing something that keeps you warm!

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
18 Nov 2011 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

I just wanna say thanks for teaching me how to kite a few years ago. And how good were those mashies from KFC!!!

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
18 Nov 2011 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Mashies!!! mmmmm mashies

No KFC in Finland

Sorry to the world I inflicted so many noobs into the sport!

dbabicwa
WA, 808 posts
18 Nov 2011 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

I've met some very nice people from Finland, I'm sure you'll have a ball there!
All the best and visit my beautiful Croatia for some kiting!

ryebloke
VIC, 54 posts
18 Nov 2011 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Enjoy the Northern Lights.

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
18 Nov 2011 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

All the best BWD - have a few voddies and give an alibaster buxom beauty a squeeze for me!

hamburglar
ACT, 2174 posts
18 Nov 2011 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

kiterboy said...

Bigwavedave said...

Plummet said...

you're really going to jail, aren't you?

a year or more 4 teaching noobs? thats a bit harsh, u might get out early with good behaviour

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
18 Nov 2011 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

CU big fella.
Hope its good.
Im sure those sunny coast guys will save u some wind for when u get back.

the walks
WA, 448 posts
18 Nov 2011 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

1 of the more entertaining forum junkies, your going to a awesome part of the world, wonderfull locals, i highly recommend a trip over the border to norway, a beaut small resort called Trysil, mention your teaching skills and enjoy the apray ski
then the obligatory spa and roll in the snow

Happy days

wishy
WA, 1501 posts
18 Nov 2011 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

Bigwavedave said...

Bigwavedave is off to live in Finland for a year or more.

Thanks to all the maniacs on this site for an entertaining 7 years of pointless banter.

No kiting for me for a while.

There will be wind next Thursday guaranteed. That's when I fly out of here.

I want to come back to a sport that's still legal so do me a favour?

If you see someone doing something stoopid at your local, SAY SOMETHING.

There will always be noobs but they only turn into kooks if you don't correct them.

One last piece of advice:

FOR F@#K'S SAKE LEARN TO TRIM YOUR KITE !!!! Poo stance looks so gay.

I've seen photos of people kiting in Estonia with 13m kites. so surely you can kite Finland, it's just across the water.

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
18 Nov 2011 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Have a great year Dave .Forget the water kiting but Finland has awesome snowkiting .You might want to touch base with a couple of local guys who occesionally lurk here who have snowkited there . If i remember correctly one of them in particular had an epic time kiting an area that is a cross country mecca where there are chalets conveniently located withing around 20 km of each other .he spent a week i think just kiting the area moving around and staying at the different chlets .Tke a 10 m .Water kites work great in the snow .I have had some great sessions in our mountains on sub zero days in some really messy winds on short lines in the nukin stuff and then going 40 m lins on the light days ,Mikey should be able to give u the skinny on the snowking too.

all the best

Lach

i am intrigued as whether the green thumbs for your original post is because you are leaving or because it sounds like a cool thing to do

BennyB12
QLD, 918 posts
19 Nov 2011 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

100 bucks says you check in at least once a week....You need us or your just plain old dave....

omg
281 posts
20 Nov 2011 6:11AM
Thumbs Up

Bigwavedave, may I ask why are you coming to Finland - I know I wouldn't, I'm here already =) Today we had +5 and 20knots. Not too bad. Few weeks ago I got to ride 4.5m2 Cult + strapless, epic.

But yeh, winter sucks or at least when the water turns to illiquid, but in southern Finland we still should have some time before that happens. One year I ended the water season in February (air 0, water quite close to it as well, but you gotta go when you gotta go).

I know I would stick to Australia/NZ if I ever had a chance.

Kurt Savage
QLD, 138 posts
20 Nov 2011 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

Dave please take all the other ex mexicans and sunny coast blowins with you !

poor relative
WA, 9089 posts
21 Nov 2011 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Good luck mate.
Hope you have a blast. Enjoy the snow

AKSonline
WA, 925 posts
Site Sponsor
21 Nov 2011 8:23AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Dave,

Have a great one mate. Sounds like a unique and exciting adventure to me. The forums will be poorer for your absence.

Cheers,

DM

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
21 Nov 2011 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Don't they have computers or the internet in Finland ?

wal269
WA, 718 posts
21 Nov 2011 2:14PM
Thumbs Up

Isn't Finland the suicide capital of the planet??

omg
281 posts
22 Nov 2011 1:48AM
Thumbs Up

yeh, we have polar bears walking around the streets with penguins and no internet haha.

Guess where Nokia is from? Yeh, it's a finnish company. But you are right, we are on top of lists as well when it comes to suicides with Japan and Hungary. Don't they say that one needs to try everything at least once?
Good riddance.

gruezi
WA, 3464 posts
22 Nov 2011 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

Nobody ever leaves SB really....come on Big Dave.............you'll have your bash as it will remind you of the great land we live in...........I do feel very sorry for you...................England WdaF............sorry I have a thing with all these dark and rainy places where people are so kn cultured.........................EFL will disappoint.....IMO...but good luck and learn heaps....you will be back.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Farewell seabreeze buddies." started by Bigwavedave