Forums > Kitesurfing General

Flat(ter) water around Sydney?

Created by Jimmyz > 9 months ago, 6 Jan 2008
Jimmyz
NSW, 446 posts
6 Jan 2008 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Just a quick question... are there any lakes around the Sydney area, more specifically the northern areas which would be suitable for kiting? Even beach spots which have slightly flatter water?

I'd be prepared to travel a few hours if need be, just coz I'm getn sick of being ravaged by this huge swell thats seemed to be around l8ly and losing my board then finding it, losing it etc, especially when I'm only just starting out on the board.

Don't really mind the impacts. I don't seem to get as hammered as much as when I surf anyway, I'm just certain that some flat(ter) water would give me a really good opportunity to improve on my board skills

lex123
NSW, 511 posts
6 Jan 2008 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

The enterance is good, thats where i had my lessons. Its fairly flat most of the time.

Jimmyz
NSW, 446 posts
6 Jan 2008 4:59PM
Thumbs Up

AHHH! YES, I never thought of that spot! I had no idea you could kite there. Excellent, thanks mate, I'll get looking as to what winds etc are needed , now I just need to find a suitable wind monitoring place thingymabob

lex123
NSW, 511 posts
6 Jan 2008 6:55PM
Thumbs Up

as a beginner in syd, Im in the same situation. from what iv heard, be careful with where u launch and land, there are some dangerous obsticles around that area to watch out for at picnic point.

Jimmyz
NSW, 446 posts
6 Jan 2008 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Replied to your PM...

Would be good to go down there, especially seeing as you'd know the place better than I would.

YoMoFo
NSW, 240 posts
7 Jan 2008 12:28AM
Thumbs Up

Septic point (Picnic point) is only good in winter. Try hargraves Nth of the Entrance. Just watch out for the Sydney fisho's. Or maybe Chittaway Bay (****taway Bay).

Jimmyz
NSW, 446 posts
7 Jan 2008 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Well, thats always a good thing; a winter spot :D.

Which forecasts would I use for that area? Seeing as its like smack bang in between Sydney and Newcastle.

user
WA, 1140 posts
7 Jan 2008 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Jimmyz said...

Well, thats always a good thing; a winter spot :D.

Which forecasts would I use for that area? Seeing as its like smack bang in between Sydney and Newcastle.

West, S/west and N/west.

S/west is better at Canton Beach,same lake,10 mins from Picnic Point.

Flying Kiwi
WA, 258 posts
15 Jan 2008 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Jimmy,

On a NE you might like to try Fishermans beach near Collaroy, the water is pretty flat.

There are several reefs around so it pays to check with a local before you take to the water.

We launch at the Northern end of the bay at the largest part of the beach. Other things to look out for are the pine trees and hanggliders landing and don't bother on summy weekends when the wind is less than 15kts, too many swimmers and sunbathers. Don't land or launch besides the golf club or the Surf Rescue base.

You can see it on the NSWKBA map www.nswkba.com.au

It gets a bit less wind than Narrabeen and about 10kts less than Botany.

Cheers
Gav

TomClift
NSW, 50 posts
16 Jan 2008 11:16AM
Thumbs Up

The best spot in Sydney to learn in a flatish water environment is probably Boat Harbour in Cronulla in a 15-20knot South Easter or Southerly. There is a charge of around $16 to get in. Waves pick up as you get futher south to Wanda beach.
Tom

I would avoid fishermans beach as a beginner as there is very little beach - tall kiteloving pinetrees and lots of families playing on the sand. Not to mention the reefs that the Flying Kiwi mentions.

Tom

kiter789
NSW, 238 posts
16 Jan 2008 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

No-one has said the obvious - Towra. Ride across the harbour from Dolls. Flat-as, smooth wind and not many people there (or not in the two times I have been out there). Just beware though, the bottom is not for standing, walking or dragging on. At all. Shells and Other Things. Otherwise, it is sweet.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Flat(ter) water around Sydney?" started by Jimmyz