Forums > Kitesurfing General

Flying with Kiting Equipment in Australia

Created by RJB > 9 months ago, 25 Dec 2012
RJB
SA, 16 posts
26 Dec 2012 2:19AM
Thumbs Up

In a couple of weeks I am traveling across Australia with Jetstar.

The better half has booked 15kg baggage tickets for three of us.

Whats my best option to fly my board and two kites?

Use the companies freight account estimate $150.00?

Or deal with Jetstar?

atlevalland
VIC, 2 posts
26 Dec 2012 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Upgrade your ticket with Jetstar to 30kg baggage allowance

suniboy21
VIC, 1090 posts
26 Dec 2012 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

kite/s board harness bag pump wetsuit towel.... it all ads up, i traveled recently with 2 kites and everything else that goes with it, weighed close to 30kg

Spookyluke12
QLD, 120 posts
26 Dec 2012 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Upgrading your baggage allowance prior to getting to the airport is gonna be the cheaper option. Pre-purchase of say 10kg extra allowance, prior to check in is maybe $20. I was charged $10 per kilo by Virgin on a return flight once, because i hadn't allowed for enough in excess baggage. If you allow for up 30kg/35kg for your normal luggage and all your kite gear, you sould be right.

Hybrid_Z
VIC, 382 posts
26 Dec 2012 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

I have travelled with my gear a few times. Generally carry on any clothes i need and check only the kite gear. 2 kites, board, harness, wetty, towel weighed in at 22kg. Upgrade to 30 and you will be laughing.

surfingboye
NSW, 2707 posts
26 Dec 2012 11:49AM
Thumbs Up

Just be careful and make sure you check what plan your taking...
I was going to indo with Jetstar via darwin. The plane that took us brisbane to darwin had a length limit which meant any board over 6'2 couldn't fly. I had to leave my gun at the airport.
The plan from Darwin to Bali had a larger baggage hold though and other people getting on there could bring guns with them...
Who sends a flight to Indo and says you pretty much can't take 'surfboards'...
Never flown with them again.

Spookyluke12
QLD, 120 posts
26 Dec 2012 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

The other thing when flying with Jetstar is you'll have to pay $30 per bag if you want to check in more than one bag. So, kitebag and suitcase is gonna cost + $30 when you check in. Apparently this is in the fine print sommewhere.

anoldman
75 posts
26 Dec 2012 2:33PM
Thumbs Up

Have got the kit weight down to 25kgs, 2 kites, 1 bar, 1 harness, 1 board (5'6"), boardies, towel in my 6' board bag no wheels, (no pump have been able to borrow so far, thanks all)
Cloths etc in my carry on.
Thats with qantas still a one bag check in.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Flying with Kiting Equipment in Australia" started by RJB