Forums > Kitesurfing General

Foil Boarding in W.A

Created by WC Canvas > 9 months ago, 9 Dec 2013
WC Canvas
WA, 55 posts
9 Dec 2013 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

Hi I am interested to hear from guys in W.A if they are at all interested and how many people are interested in Foil Boards.

I know it's relatively new to kite scene but if you ask my opinion - it looks like a whole lot of fun. Especially considering you can kite very light wind. Perfect for the mornings and time's during summer when it heat waves.

I understand they are expensive and tricky to ride - if there was a cheaper way to get into it - do you think you would get onto one?

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
9 Dec 2013 8:26PM
Thumbs Up

Yes they are expensive, no there isn't a cheaper way to get into it unless you can craft your own, and yes I would get one if they cost a 1/4 of the price.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
9 Dec 2013 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

check these out mate:

www.facebook.com/kitefoil

Made in Australia top quality product

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
9 Dec 2013 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

There's some threads going on kiteforum.com at the mo... one guy made his foils out of 3mm aluminum sheet and reckoned it's almost as good as the shaped foils.

sebol
WA, 753 posts
9 Dec 2013 10:13PM
Thumbs Up

If you are suddenly going to come up with a solution (here is our great foil available to order), I may have to face plant

I actually wish seebreeze would allow open advertising on the forum, at least,they would be honest and up front instead of logging in as newbies looking for a solution then finally enlightening us with their great find.

I think that a decently priced foil would be a great addition to the toys collection

Maybe if you all actually paid to advertise, Laurie would drop the price (or maybe not)

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
9 Dec 2013 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kamikuza said..

There's some threads going on kiteforum.com at the mo... one guy made his foils out of 3mm aluminum sheet and reckoned it's almost as good as the shaped foils.

What's your definition of almost??? hahaha.

If you're handy you could build one yourself out of Fibreglass, it doesn't have to be carbon, they just use that to make it lighter and more manoeuvrable. Im pretty sure if you look hard enough there's I video on Youtube of some Hillbillys making their own foil out of wood...

WC Canvas
WA, 55 posts
10 Dec 2013 2:30AM
Thumbs Up

I think it's like everything - the more exposure people have to it. The more people will want to try and buy it. I think the same thing is happening with the race boards right now. It's still young as a sport "kite racing" in Oz but soon races will be every weekend and week throughout the year. We are already seeing more and more people wanting to participate.

Back to topic - hopefully it will be the same with Kite foil. I saw the alloy foil and even a Titanium plate foil online - looks good. I like the idea of the Glass foil to reduce the price and allow more interest due to affordability.

Carbon looks like it will be for the hard core racer guys wanting maximum performance.

Intheloop - I emailed and messaged KFA last week. Still waiting for a reply.

Phezulu1
WA, 66 posts
10 Dec 2013 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Topline

I built a foil and have been going through the learning pains at Melville. There is also a good article in the "kitesurfing articles" section by Doycle describing how he made one.

I must admit it's a fair mission to learn to ride, I'm still crashing all the time after about 6 sessions, only now am I managing a full length one way run in the river (with 12 years kiting experience). Still a long way from learning to turn or tack. Problem with a home built and no prior experience is that you have no idea if the foil is set up right, or whether it's a technique thing you need to learn.

It's a surreal feeling when you're on the foil because it's totally quiet, only a slight sizzle from the foil cutting the water, but when it goes wrong and you crash, it's a doozy - I've got bruises up my leg and butt. I reckon the foil could do you some serious damage as well - very sharp edges.

The other nuisance is how far out you have to walk at Melville to get to deeper water - foils and shallow water or submerged objects don't go together.

westozwind
WA, 1393 posts
10 Dec 2013 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Bill and Ben would have a field day.
A little bit of weeeeeeeeeed!
It will ruin your foiling. Not too many non weedy places in WA. Very limited places to foil.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
10 Dec 2013 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

there are ways to deal with weed on foils. KFA is coming up with some designs and solutions atm.

KFA will also offer all round foils and high end foils for the recreational riders, racers and guys that are out there for VMAX re l2l..

The homemade/garage foils work but will never match high end foils. You can build your own cat or boat but you will never fly on the water like an AC72.

Technology and facilities KFA is using to develop foils is 2nd to none including autoclave, high end carbons and resins. Australian quality at its best.

Also the boards play a role in the performance of foils as well.

westozwind
WA, 1393 posts
10 Dec 2013 9:15AM
Thumbs Up

So topline and intheloop are the same person?
Nice pimp.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
10 Dec 2013 1:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
westozwind said..

Nice pimp.

nope

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
10 Dec 2013 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sir ROWDY said..

Kamikuza said..

What's your definition of almost??? hahaha.

If you're handy you could build one yourself out of Fibreglass, it doesn't have to be carbon, they just use that to make it lighter and more manoeuvrable. Im pretty sure if you look hard enough there's I video on Youtube of some Hillbillys making their own foil out of wood...

Dunno - ask the guy who's built both styles...

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
10 Dec 2013 3:31PM
Thumbs Up

There is an interesting article about to come on Kitesurfing.com.au about 'some guy' who just got into Foilboarding. All the purchasing experience and research done on several manufacturers and brands. The article is from one person's experience only so take it with a grain of salt.

In regards to learning.. read it , it's almost like you've never kited before, hundreds of crashes and yes lots of bruises. So take it as a challenge because when you get it the feeling in awesome. It is possibly not for the 'purists', rather the early-adopters.

Regarding cost: think of it as the price of a brand new kite - it is a new sport, right?

Regarding what is possible? watch this

now add a kite for propulsion and forget about the jetski

Have fun (crashing..)

WC Canvas
WA, 55 posts
10 Dec 2013 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

No

Select to expand quote
INTHELOOP said..

westozwind said..

Nice pimp.

nope

TopLine is not Intheloop Topline is W.A based

Weed is a problem in W.A. Also in the river are Jellyfish. I raced skiffs for many years on the river and some years Jellyfish clusters could stop you in your tracks. I could feel the rudder blade/tiller in my hand just cutting hundreds of them up on a down wind run. Maybe an issue for Foils

Also weed would catch our centerboard and often required reversing head to wind to clear it off - But that's just tough luck. It's hit or miss and you need to take it on the chin as misfortune.

Open ocean foiling in W.A or Race Boards is a lot more promising. I am a big advocate to run events hopefully off Coogee beach (for those who are not aware it's the beach north of Woodmans point). Its chest deep about 6-10 meters off the shore and there is no wave swell and minimal chop as you find when kiting any beach north of Freo. Basically its a very large crystal clear lagoon with Woodmans point and Garden island protecting it from Swell.

See you on the water
Topline

Kamikuza
QLD, 6493 posts
11 Dec 2013 1:08AM
Thumbs Up

A master-class...

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
15 Dec 2013 3:45PM
Thumbs Up

There you go - the article :)

kitesurfing.com.au/?p=3552

You may laugh at my expense

V

WC Canvas
WA, 55 posts
15 Dec 2013 11:55PM
Thumbs Up

Sir V said..

There you go - the article :)

kitesurfing.com.au/?p=3552

You may laugh at my expense

V

Fantastic write up on the ins and outs of getting into foiling - I have my first foil on order at the moment so am very keen to get on the steep learning curve.

I think the more info and articles that are put out in social networking the more people will get onto this fast up and coming element of our sport.

First major Aussie Kite foil event as far as I can see is going to be in Townsville around Sep-Oct next year. Better gets lots of time on the water to get ready for that one.

Foil on Brother

WC Canvas
WA, 55 posts
12 Feb 2014 1:03AM
Thumbs Up

Australian National Titles are holding Foil racing out of Brighton in Melbourne - all the latest and greatest foil tech and riders will be hitting the start line. This will be the place to be if you are interested in High performance foil board racing - by far the fastest discipline under kite.

Will be good to see what people come to the event with and how their skills get them around the course.

See you on the start line

Topline

jordangirdis
NSW, 178 posts
12 Feb 2014 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Phezulu1 said..

Hi Topline

I built a foil and have been going through the learning pains at Melville. There is also a good article in the "kitesurfing articles" section by Doycle describing how he made one.

I must admit it's a fair mission to learn to ride, I'm still crashing all the time after about 6 sessions, only now am I managing a full length one way run in the river (with 12 years kiting experience). Still a long way from learning to turn or tack. Problem with a home built and no prior experience is that you have no idea if the foil is set up right, or whether it's a technique thing you need to learn.

It's a surreal feeling when you're on the foil because it's totally quiet, only a slight sizzle from the foil cutting the water, but when it goes wrong and you crash, it's a doozy - I've got bruises up my leg and butt. I reckon the foil could do you some serious damage as well - very sharp edges.

The other nuisance is how far out you have to walk at Melville to get to deeper water - foils and shallow water or submerged objects don't go together.

Doycle and I have been fiddling around with building our own foils. Essentially they work well, and you can still fly around, but you wont be winning any races downwind (at least with our first set ups). Both our foils will give a raceboard a run for their money upwind though. It is a rewarding experience!

swinginginthewind
WA, 281 posts
12 Feb 2014 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
topline said..
Weed is a problem in W.A. Also in the river are Jellyfish. I raced skiffs for many years on the river and some years Jellyfish clusters could stop you in your tracks. I could feel the rudder blade/tiller in my hand just cutting hundreds of them up on a down wind run. Maybe an issue for Foils

Also weed would catch our centerboard and often required reversing head to wind to clear it off - But that's just tough luck. It's hit or miss and you need to take it on the chin as misfortune.

Open ocean foiling in W.A or Race Boards is a lot more promising. I am a big advocate to run events hopefully off Coogee beach (for those who are not aware it's the beach north of Woodmans point). Its chest deep about 6-10 meters off the shore and there is no wave swell and minimal chop as you find when kiting any beach north of Freo. Basically its a very large crystal clear lagoon with Woodmans point and Garden island protecting it from Swell.

See you on the water
Topline

Hi Topline,

I've been out for about 10 sessions now, some on the river and some just north of the Hillary's marina

So far weed hasn't been an issue but then again i am still crashing a lot. As Phezulu said it's an awesome feeling when you get up on the foil.

There are around 6 toilers in WA that I know of, most ride Spotz foils

It is expensive but I have found it really worth it. Having kited for 10 years, some on TT and mostly on surfboards it opens up a totally different kiting experience.

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
12 Feb 2014 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

I'm with you above :) totally worth it. But it will take literally 100's of crashes

But I was determined and I made it here so far.. I'm now into taking it in the surf - and again it is a hard process => completely worth it IMO. But then again I really couldn't care less about crashing in front of people. I've paid my dues and continue to do so..

www.facebook.com/VascoVellez/videos/10152258877401018/ - click on HD, much better.

Enjoy..

V

PS: you should see the first video eheheheh too funny.

Hobie1463
SA, 449 posts
13 Feb 2014 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
INTHELOOP said..

there are ways to deal with weed on foils. KFA is coming up with some designs and solutions atm.

KFA will also offer all round foils and high end foils for the recreational riders, racers and guys that are out there for VMAX re l2l..

The homemade/garage foils work but will never match high end foils. You can build your own cat or boat but you will never fly on the water like an AC72.

Technology and facilities KFA is using to develop foils is 2nd to none including autoclave, high end carbons and resins. Australian quality at its best.

Also the boards play a role in the performance of foils as well.

Have to disagree, Built my own catamaran and won a nationals. You can by an A Class catamaran and fly like a AC72 ( Look them up, Worlds are on now)

You can vacuum bag in your shed its not hard. High end materials are also available to anyone who wants to buy them.

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
13 Feb 2014 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Go to Attadale kite beach any afternoon with any E in it and there are 1 -5 foils out most dayz and or up to 6-8 raceboards - Dale and I out last night on 9m kites and 10 to 14 knots my 11m would have been better though.

3rd session and finally enjoyed a FOIL BOARD - and getting the vibe to go down wind as up wind no problem after

A few tips from a newbie foiler

I'm riding with front straps only and seems to be working well - started with aback strap but crashes are real scary as sometime feet get stuck in straps.
I put sup deck grip all over top rails and nose of board to stop the shin & leg bangs and hey presto no personal damage last night -
Keep board close to water makes crashes less crazy especially in attempting roll tacks and gybes
Down wind is easier than it feels JUST BELEAVE the foil with stay in air as you turn down wind towards kite
Pulled off 3/4 roll tacks last night but didn't ride away as I'm still scared of foil powering up in turn - roll tacks are the same as on race board but way more delicate
Always pull foil board from front as the back is nasty sharp & hard to turn.
If you drop kite sit on board as the foil then nice and safe below you.
Foiling in 15 to 20 knots is hard core and not for newbies - to painful
Stray well clear of any other water user and hazards like marker poles, boats , yachts etc as foils make lots of ground real fast and can be slow to drop speed.
Wear a helmet - it may help if you get chopped by foil - maybe

IMO opinion foiling seems pretty fun and cool for long trips on water & I'm sure if you are red hot amazing for racing.

A raceboard is still totally fun and different in that it is more direct and the connection of the board to the water is much more intense and basic. I'm still gonna do both as they require slightly different skills - a raceboard is like motorcross and a foil board is like ice skating

picker
VIC, 431 posts
13 Feb 2014 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
topline said..

Australian National Titles are holding Foil racing out of Brighton in Melbourne - all the latest and greatest foil tech and riders will be hitting the start line. This will be the place to be if you are interested in High performance foil board racing - by far the fastest discipline under kite.

Will be good to see what people come to the event with and how their skills get them around the course.

See you on the start line

Topline

See you at the start line marvin x

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
13 Feb 2014 9:11PM
Thumbs Up

Cant wait Picker :)

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
13 Feb 2014 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

So Mr Picker, you been getting plenty of practice ?

wdric
NSW, 1625 posts
13 Feb 2014 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hobie1463 said..

Built my own catamaran and won a nationals. You can by an A Class catamaran and fly like a AC72 ( Look them up, Worlds are on now)

Just for the lazy ones
And Nathan is on a borrowed boat!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Foil Boarding in W.A" started by WC Canvas