QLD, 490 posts
26 Feb 2014 12:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfingboye said..

i don't see the appeal in foiling...
i almost fell asleep to be honest!

eheheheh

It's like saying you don't like Bananas without having one. Take it as a challenge :) if you can stay on the board for more than 2 secs on your first try .. then you're allowed to comment.

Just kidding, you can comment any time you wish - this is public forum

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
26 Feb 2014 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

I do see the appeal in foiling and there were some interesting camera angles showing the foil working.

I definitely think there is a place for foils, not just racing either..... but I don't think in waves is one of them.

Haydn24
QLD, 473 posts
26 Feb 2014 1:19PM
Thumbs Up

Wow dude, I wouldn't kite there.. there's a shark following you around everywhere

looks like a hammerhead to me

daggy
WA, 527 posts
26 Feb 2014 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

foil boarding
looks like kitesurfing... just with all the fun removed.

laaaame

tightlines
WA, 3477 posts
27 Feb 2014 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

To me foil boarding
looks like kitesurfing.....just with all the chop removed.

SaltySinus
VIC, 960 posts
27 Feb 2014 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Nice work buddy!

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
27 Feb 2014 12:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said..

To me foil boarding

and you forgot 'like riding a unicycle' bit - when I started I had been kiting 6 years, the last 3 of them in directional boards. But Foilboarding made me feel like I was an absolute beginner, couldn't stand on the board for 2 seconds. Completely frustrating.. but what a challenge. It took close to half a dozen sessions to even get going and just the same to get a proper run.

So I took it as a challenge and the more I fell the more I was determined. Let's also add in my defence that I went straight to the Ocean the first few times, and only used a kite for propulsion. Till now I still haven't been pulled by a boat or a jetski so I have no idea what constant pull feels like. I also didn't get discouraged by all the laughter and jokes of those who saw me fall 100's on times, or the bruises

Do I like it? HELL YEAH . I can't wait to actually have enough time on it so I can take it in proper waves. The feeling of riding swell is actually indescribable, just like Dolphins ride the undercurrent. It's like the board gets its own propulsion all of a sudden.

Anyone who wishes to discredit the stoke one gets - MUST try it, master it, then comment (in that order).

Here's one

Plummet
4862 posts
27 Feb 2014 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

yeah. these complaining guys can't see past their own noses.

That looks super cool. Particularly as a light wind session when all your doing is mowing the lawn.

Mow it in silky smooth style I say!

I don't have a foild board yet. partly because i'd smash the foil off withthe boulders we have locally.... But one day i will buy one and it will be glorious.

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
27 Feb 2014 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

yeah. these complaining guys can't see past their own noses.

That looks super cool. Particularly as a light wind session when all your doing is mowing the lawn.

Mow it in silky smooth style I say!

I don't have a foild board yet. partly because i'd smash the foil off withthe boulders we have locally.... But one day i will buy one and it will be glorious.

Yeah PLummet, I reckon you're going to wonder why you didn't do it sooner eheh. If in doubt send the guys at MHL Custom an email and tell Nick I sent you. They are seriously amazing in the capacity to accommodate newcomers.

V

4XL
VIC, 222 posts
27 Feb 2014 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

I'm hooked on giving this a.erious go. Can u tell me as a beginner/intermediate kiter wat level of competency is required b4 taking foiling on? Or, as u say persistence is the key?

And, suppliers of foils/boards, any suggestions?

onemorehuey
NSW, 158 posts
28 Feb 2014 1:25AM
Thumbs Up

Foiling is cool because it shows development of the sport, innovation and diversity.

Just like wake skate, race board, directional and stabbers? Inflatable shark it provides more opportunity for people to experience new things, hone their skills, compete, develop products and services and overall have a stoke in the ocean.

I do still like the analogy of riding a ladder at 30k an hour, falling off and being run over by the ladder though. Think that one is kit33rs.

69surfer69
13 posts
27 Feb 2014 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

Nice shaft!

VB MAN
1156 posts
27 Feb 2014 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sir V said..

tightlines said..

To me foil boarding

and you forgot 'like riding a unicycle' bit - when I started I had been kiting 6 years, the last 3 of them in directional boards. But Foilboarding made me feel like I was an absolute beginner, couldn't stand on the board for 2 seconds. Completely frustrating.. but what a challenge. It took close to half a dozen sessions to even get going and just the same to get a proper run.

So I took it as a challenge and the more I fell the more I was determined. Let's also add in my defence that I went straight to the Ocean the first few times, and only used a kite for propulsion. Till now I still haven't been pulled by a boat or a jetski so I have no idea what constant pull feels like. I also didn't get discouraged by all the laughter and jokes of those who saw me fall 100's on times, or the bruises

Do I like it? HELL YEAH . I can't wait to actually have enough time on it so I can take it in proper waves. The feeling of riding swell is actually indescribable, just like Dolphins ride the undercurrent. It's like the board gets its own propulsion all of a sudden.

Anyone who wishes to discredit the stoke one gets - MUST try it, master it, then comment (in that order).

Here's one

Caption comp on next image of that shot

Real Kiter on beach shouts YOUR GAY
Dude in pink hat raises his left hand 35 degrees and responds "GUILTY"

Just kidding guys
No seriously just kidding
Hey dudes what's with the cricket bats
Hey it was just a joke thmmummphh

swinginginthewind
WA, 281 posts
28 Feb 2014 12:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
4XL said..

I'm hooked on giving this a.erious go. Can u tell me as a beginner/intermediate kiter wat level of competency is required b4 taking foiling on? Or, as u say persistence is the key?

Persistence is the key 4XL. Have been kiting for 10 years, last 3 on various surfboards. Despite being familiar with getting going on most board types I have been going through the massive learning curve on the foil.

You do need good kite skills, as you will crash - a lot.

Been foiling for about 2 months, still getting smashed most sessions but the gap between smashings is getting bigger. There is nothing like it when you are going along on the foil - silence except for the wind and a slight whistle from the foil. The smoothness is incredible, you can cover long distances with no stress on the legs.
Upwind performance is almost unbelievable
There are a number of manufacturers, MHL as Sir V mentioned, Spotz, which I ride, Zeeko, Sword and Kite Foil Australia

Normally there are around 5 guys riding foils at Melville Water. Most days I am riding just north of Hillarys

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
28 Feb 2014 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
swinginginthewind said..

4XL said..

Persistence is the key 4XL. Have been kiting for 10 years, last 3 on various surfboards. Despite being familiar with getting going on most board types I have been going through the massive learning curve on the foil.

You do need good kite skills, as you will crash - a lot.

Been foiling for about 2 months, still getting smashed most sessions but the gap between smashings is getting bigger. There is nothing like it when you are going along on the foil - silence except for the wind and a slight whistle from the foil. The smoothness is incredible, you can cover long distances with no stress on the legs.
Upwind performance is almost unbelievable
There are a number of manufacturers, MHL as Sir V mentioned, Spotz, which I ride, Zeeko, Sword and Kite Foil Australia

Normally there are around 5 guys riding foils at Melville Water. Most days I am riding just north of Hillarys

What he said :) riding since November.. no more splashes than a normal kite session now (almost)

puppetonastring
WA, 3619 posts
28 Feb 2014 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

OK it doesnt look cool.
But sure as hell looks like fun.
Hmmmm is this going to be the next challenge. Im beginning to think so.
Better get my regular skills in order 1st after 2 or 3 yrs of almost zilch kiting of any kind.

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
2 Mar 2014 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
puppetonastring said..

OK it doesnt look cool.
But sure as hell looks like fun.
Hmmmm is this going to be the next challenge. Im beginning to think so.
Better get my regular skills in order 1st after 2 or 3 yrs of almost zilch kiting of any kind.

So you wouldn't call this cool.. but sure gives material for photoshop play

Just stirrin'ya eheheh

stabber
NSW, 1114 posts
2 Mar 2014 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

they had the Mardi Gra in Sydney on the weeekend, I think the foils had a float in the main parade.

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
2 Mar 2014 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
stabber said..

they had the Mardi Gra in Sydney on the weeekend, I think the foils had a float in the main parade.

Did I see that one coming.. :) well spotted, albeit used often before eheheh

eppo
WA, 9503 posts
2 Mar 2014 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

God that looks so lame...

I want one ....

Greggor
QLD, 191 posts
2 Mar 2014 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

Love the stoke Sir V! Foil boarding looks so peaceful compared to getting smashed constantly by the chop! Would love to get my hands on one of these!

belldiver
QLD, 171 posts
4 Mar 2014 5:42PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone tried kiting with an Airchair?? www.airchair.com/

Surely some one has could be some funny footage about???

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
5 Mar 2014 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
belldiver said..

Has anyone tried kiting with an Airchair?? www.airchair.com/

Surely some one has could be some funny footage about???

Not sure I would want to. Side torsion may cause some serious spine injuries. Airchairs are designed to be pulled in the direction of the foil, behind a boat - and you're strapped to it. Foilboards are ridden sideways at various angles. When you stand on the board your body can move in any direction and even jump off (frequently eheh). If you were strapped to it the injuries from falls would be quite serious.

I was going to say 'be my guest to try' but I won't. The more I think about it the less I like it. Remember how foilboarding started, Laird Hamilton took an airchair foil and put it on a normal tow-in board, take a leaf off that. No point in re-re-inventing the wheel.

Peace up.

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
7 Mar 2014 9:54AM
Thumbs Up

By the way - this board is for sale as I am upgrading to a foil raceboard => look for it under kitesurfing surfboards.. :)

Good luck and have fun

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
7 Mar 2014 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sir V said..

By the way - this board is for sale as I am upgrading to a foil raceboard => look for it under kitesurfing surfboards.. :)

Good luck and have fun

www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/Kitesurfing-Surfboards/~ap96a/2013-Mhl-Custom-Foilboard-5-9.aspx?search=3hxyup7UUA8%3D

V

Plummet
4862 posts
7 Mar 2014 11:41AM
Thumbs Up

The uncooler the better I say.

If your worried about being cool then you limit your own ability to enjoy things for what they are, not what others think.

I love my uncoolness. It means i can really enjoy myself.

This is what I did on the weekend. Soooooo.... uncool as far as kiting is concerned. yet so much fun it should be illegal.

The bashers in this thread need to take the blinkers of and realize how much more to kiting there is.

One day Mr V i'll add a foil board to my stable.... one day.

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
7 Mar 2014 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

I did some trike kitesurfing at Australian Kite Surfari the last few times I was there - AWESOME, so much fun.. I am envious of your beach playground but can't complain about my Palm beach :)

Peace up and have fun.

Here's a few photos @ FNQ where I played with your type of toy :)

Plummet
4862 posts
7 Mar 2014 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

that's looks like a sweet spot!

DARTH
WA, 3028 posts
7 Mar 2014 4:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Plummet said..

The uncooler the better I say.

If your worried about being cool then you limit your own ability to enjoy things for what they are, not what others think.

I love my uncoolness. It means i can really enjoy myself.

This is what I did on the weekend. Soooooo.... uncool as far as kiting is concerned. yet so much fun it should be illegal.

The bashers in this thread need to take the blinkers of and realize how much more to kiting there is.

One day Mr V i'll add a foil board to my stable.... one day.

That looks like awesome fun!!!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Foilboarding in waves, yep :)" started by Sir V