Forums > Kitesurfing General

Fossil hunters hate kitesurfers(kite boarders OK?)

Created by Lovely > 9 months ago, 7 Nov 2011
Lovely
QLD, 248 posts
7 Nov 2011 10:43AM
Thumbs Up

Palaeontologists are on the beaches in the land of gizas, fully

http://www.chichester.co.uk/community/fossil_hunters_slam_bracklesham_kite_surfing_zone_1_3220903

Ozoned
NSW, 58 posts
7 Nov 2011 11:59AM
Thumbs Up

I don't get it. Are they talking about landboards or kitesurfers?

deXtrous
NSW, 451 posts
7 Nov 2011 4:23PM
Thumbs Up

We got slammed fellas. We gonna take this sh1t laying down or are we gonna stand up to those geologists and retaliate? I for one am not keen looking like a bitch.

Bigwavedave
QLD, 2057 posts
7 Nov 2011 3:46PM
Thumbs Up

Comes down to numbers.

If there is more kiters than geologists/paleontologists then the authorities will bow to the greater numbers.

Lucky for us the fossil hunters don't wear scuba!!

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
7 Nov 2011 5:28PM
Thumbs Up

The Facebook page has 40 "likes" - hardly an army of geos! Anyway, fossil hunting is a long established pastime in the UK (Think 200 years) and the finds along the south coast of the UK are pretty amazing (seen them in the natural history museum)

I can't see this being a problem to either party - you can't kitesurf when there is no wind, and you wouldn't be fossil hunting on the shore when it is windy, so I can't see why the two groups can't co-exist. Add to this you can't really kitesurf the South Coast when the tide is high, so there aren't going to be many times when there is a conflict.

Antigrav
5 posts
7 Nov 2011 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

I actually work as an instructor on Bracklesham beach, there has been a fair bit of controversy this summer led ann macdonald www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-14541425 who wants the kitesurf zone moved from outside her back garden because it means she has to walk 100m to get to the bathing zone she just wants kitesurfing banned, and since the council ignored her, she has now been to local tv, radio and newspapers and been as vocal as possible about how dangerous kitesurfing is and how her kids are unsafe because of it.

She has even come down with her kids when I've been running lessons and put them in the water just downwind of me and my students. I've moved down the beach to avoid any problems but still she has come up to me on the beach to inform me that I was putting her kids in danger [}:)] (even though we were there for a good few hours before she came down and selected right infront of us as the safest place to enter the water). It seems like a bit of a coincidence that a few weeks after her last ploy was shot down ie www.chichester.co.uk/news/local/bracklesham_family_flabbergasted_by_raft_ban_1_2999183 , the fossil hunters (who have always been happy with the kitesurf zone) all of a sudden have realised that actually they don't like kitesurfers...

Basically the council put that zone there because it was the best place for it, it's only due to a few local residents that any problems have arisen. Thankfully most of the locals are really friendly and don't want kiting to disappear because they realise a) we're generally nice considerate people and b) we bring money into the local area even during the winter when kiters/windsurfers/surfers are the only people on the beach! Case in point www.chichester.co.uk/news/local/kitesurfers_get_backing_bracklesham_from_residents_1_3017953

The area the fossil hunters are suggesting as the 'best' area is the busiest area of the beach in the summer, where thousands of people come with their families for a day at the beach. The way it is now they are separate from the kiters, but if the zone was moved it would be right in the middle of the two bathing zones and the outcome would be carnage.

What I don't get is how kitesurfers damage fossils any more than the general public walking their dogs or whatever. It's just stupid and hopefully the council can see that sorry for the rant, I've just had enough of this country and the morons who want to get kitesurfing banned because they think they have more right to the beach than anyone else

deXtrous
NSW, 451 posts
8 Nov 2011 4:55PM
Thumbs Up

Antigrav you gotta get your voice in there some how, if ya haven't yet!

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
8 Nov 2011 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

dont worry, from the look of most fossil hunters i have seen, they will be fossils themselves before u know it and u guys can get on with staying fit, healthy and having fun. She sounds like a clueless snob with out knowledge..With regards to the "lady", you have to go to the police if she is harassing you, make sure you got witnesses... of course, then she may be ordered to stay at least 100m away from you at all times - just enough to get on with what u do! nimbys huh! Once she knows she has a complaint against her she will think twice with continuing with the harassment. if u don't do this i guarantee u will have to deal with more **** overall!

theDoctor
NSW, 5780 posts
8 Nov 2011 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

Hey...! windsurfers i mean fossil hunters have rights too

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Fossil hunters hate kitesurfers(kite boarders OK?)" started by Lovely