Forums > Kitesurfing General

Fraser Island

Created by Slashrockson > 9 months ago, 19 Sep 2013
Slashrockson
NSW, 126 posts
19 Sep 2013 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Heading to Fraser next week, anyone got any tips on where to kite and conditions at this time of the year. Or am I wasting my time.
Staying at Kingfisher Bay resort and have 4WD. Apart from doing the family stuff I'm sure there will be plenty of arvo free time to kite.

Thanks in advance.

suface2air
QLD, 701 posts
19 Sep 2013 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

Staying at kingfisher bring kites if the wind blows at this time of year is northerly you will be crusing if it southerly you will be drunk on the beach . It dose get like a washing machine there though no flat water all blowen up wind swell .

Slashrockson
NSW, 126 posts
19 Sep 2013 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Surface, just fount the posts from last week on same subject.

Robbo2099
WA, 738 posts
22 Sep 2013 4:40PM
Thumbs Up

Sharks. Lots of em. Big. Tigers. Just Google.

C4m
SA, 33 posts
22 Sep 2013 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah just got back from a week up there, managed a quick kite on the eastern side up at orchard beach. To busy holding beer or a fishing rod to try any more. Some nice toothy's out there but there are plenty of shallow gutters to play in. Have fun

BurkeyBoy
QLD, 549 posts
23 Sep 2013 2:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slashrockson said..

Heading to Fraser next week, anyone got any tips on where to kite and conditions at this time of the year. Or am I wasting my time.
Staying at Kingfisher Bay resort and have 4WD. Apart from doing the family stuff I'm sure there will be plenty of arvo free time to kite.

Thanks in advance.

Hi. Being on the inside, the scenario is fairly different. There are only certain areas that you can access unless you have a boat. The winds after this week are due to swing more SE but may drop. At lowish tide, there are many gutters that come in to play both south and north of Kingfisher. You can either walk the beach either way, or follow the 4WD track north to Moon Point and try the tracks that run to the coast near Urang creek. You can also head south to Wangoolba Creek. If you're really up for it, and the wind is solid enough, you can kite across the chanel to the mainland sandbars. At low tide, there are heaps of exposed bars that create mega flat lagoons, absolutely amazing area, almost unkited. Google Earth shows the possibilities based on wind direction.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Fraser Island" started by Slashrockson