Forums > Kitesurfing General

Gear stolen from car! Insurance?

Created by DaveSpruce > 9 months ago, 31 Jan 2008
DaveSpruce
WA, 568 posts
31 Jan 2008 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone have any tips regarding insurance for your gear (cameras, kites, boards and whatnot) that are kept in your car if it gets broken in to and stolen

Recommended insurance companies and such? I need to get an insurance for my **** now and would love some pointers where to start because it's a jungle out there and it would probably save me a few hours on the phone/computer comparing companies, prices, conditions and such.

Thanks

mytchook
QLD, 561 posts
31 Jan 2008 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33948&SearchTerms=Insurance

Here ya go Dave!!! Hope this helps

Skwinty
WA, 164 posts
31 Jan 2008 11:46PM
Thumbs Up

Dave... I got my sunglasses stolen from my car earlier this month. NOBODY would cover them!

Dont go leaving those puppies in your car!

harrytesties
133 posts
1 Feb 2008 11:02AM
Thumbs Up

there be no better insurance than a baseball bat....

trevor1
WA, 598 posts
1 Feb 2008 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

harrytesties said...

Hey Harry.
Good to see you posting on the Forum.
I think we have a mutual friend. Sandy Crak.

cRAZY Canuk
NSW, 2528 posts
1 Feb 2008 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

We do our home and car insurance through AAMI. It's probably a good thing to note that sports equipment isn't covered for theft outside the house by most insurance companies and it won't be picked up by your car content insurance either. We've put extra riders on our home policy to cover kites gear and bikes when there outside of the house. I know it a bit of a pain and it costs a little more but our kite gear is covered every where it goes (Tonga, New Cal, where ever) as long as it's not damaged while in use. They even cover it if the airlines lose it or damage it.

You tend to get the best deals if you get your car and home/renters insurance from the same company.

Chris

CRAZYTAXI
WA, 45 posts
1 Feb 2008 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

cRAZY Canuk said

It's probably a good thing to note that sports equipment isn't covered for theft outside the house by most insurance companies

Any sports equipment with wheels isnt usually covered if it stolen from INSIDE your house either, toddlers tricycle is covered as a toy but everthing else is excluded. Mountain bike, road/racing bicycles, trail and motocross dirt bikes, so easy pickings and no comeback on most home policys (ours RAC).
Dont know that kiting gear would be covered inside either unless specifically detailed in policy.

Recently had 2 motocross bikes stolen from inside. Only decent insurance policy was Swann- had to be completely separate single policy and premium for each.

When we insure kiting gear it will be the same (separate policy) because our 'no claim bonus is 60%' on house/car etc and I dont want to stuff that up. (Havent done it yet)

Reptile
WA, 18 posts
1 Feb 2008 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

I have just renewed my home and cotents insurance with SGIO and they added extra coverage for sports equipment under the same policy to the value of $2500. It cost an extra $70 a year for the coverage anywhere in WA.

mytchook
QLD, 561 posts
1 Feb 2008 3:49PM
Thumbs Up

I'm with NRMA and they are great (as long as you have separate cover for each specified item) I am thinking of changing to Allianz though because working in the industry you pick up a few things (not discounts) plus I am better able to understand the hidden traps/wording in the PDS.

Note: ALWAYS READ YOUR PRODUCT DISCLOSURE STATEMENT CAREFULLY!!!
I have seen sooooooooo many people who think that they are covered and are absolutely heartbroken when they find out that they aren't. It's not a good feeling telling someone whose house burnt down or flooded that they don't have full coverage.

Sometimes it is best to pay that bit extra for the coverage, but beware as most insurance companies update their PDS annually. (So what you are covered for now you might not be covered for when they update their policies) And always OVER estimate the value of what you are insuring (when it comes to home and contents as the cleaning expenses are paid with your payout)

getfunky
WA, 4485 posts
1 Feb 2008 4:56PM
Thumbs Up

trevor1 said...

harrytesties said...

Hey Harry.

Oh yeh - I know her, she has that real weird brother Gotany Crack and also her real ugly sister Backsaken Crack.

Skid
QLD, 1499 posts
1 Feb 2008 9:07PM
Thumbs Up

getfunky said...

trevor1 said...

harrytesties said...

Hey Harry.

Oh yeh - I know her, she has that real weird brother Gotany Crack and also her real ugly sister Backsaken Crack.

Geez, what a small world. I know her uncle from Scotland, Phil McCrackin

AquaPlow
QLD, 1051 posts
2 Feb 2008 1:05AM
Thumbs Up

Well if we be degenerating - an oldie
"What has 6 legs & runs around a paddock?"

A ram pulling a Ueewwee --

Surfer62
1357 posts
2 Feb 2008 10:49AM
Thumbs Up

Sprucey and Skinty (Cory) look like twins

But on the insurance side my home insurance covered a "lost" board last year no probs, just have the top cover. The new $1,000 Underground makes up for all those xtra payments.

2 Feb 2008 12:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys

Sporting equipment is covered under Australia wide accidental cover on most policies as longs as it is not in use.

So your kite, board etc should be okay under this extra cover as long as you have it locked away in your car. If the insurance company even gets a sniff of you having lost it in use, then it is no go. I think they would even debate that it was in use if it was unattended on the beach.

We use Elders Australia wide accidental cover (excess may apply) so check the policy. Have never had to claim kiting equipment theft, but have claimed mobile phone accidental damage (water), PDA theft, lost sunglasses and even accidental breakage and loss of jewelry before.

Hope you find something to cover it. Just remember you have to usually specify valuables over $1000.00 (some policies are higher or lower than this) seperately on the policy.

DaveSpruce
WA, 568 posts
2 Feb 2008 12:30PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tips guys, gonna sit down and call around on monday see what I can get.. Another phone nightmare on my hands after having had to do the same with telstra/iinet/netspace and such for over a month. YAY!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Gear stolen from car! Insurance?" started by DaveSpruce