Forums > Kitesurfing General

Girl from Russia in Canberra locations help

Created by Polina > 9 months ago, 23 Oct 2013
Polina
3 posts
23 Oct 2013 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

hi all! I'm in Canberra for 6 weeks, wanna kitesurf or landkite. plan to go to the shore for weekends; but I've heard you can landkite in Canberra on ovals or even kitesurf on Lake Burley Griffin? I'm here with my bf so should be no problem to launch, but I really need some advice about locations in particular wind conditions. looks like windy today and don't know where to go, is there anyone planning to kite on the Lake today? I work afternoons so would be happy to join on weekdays before 4pm.

KIT33R
NSW, 1714 posts
23 Oct 2013 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Not my home town but try this link

www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kitesurfing/General/Kiting-in-Canberra-2/

Polina
3 posts
23 Oct 2013 11:05AM
Thumbs Up

Yep Thanks KIT33R! the thread is from 2008 I'm wondering if theres anybody kiting there these days? my email is ppolin86@gmail.com in case Canberra kiters show up

Maxiy
ACT, 96 posts
23 Oct 2013 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

I live in Canberra, have never kited in Canberra though (always better conditions at the coast).

For landboarding try Amaroo district playing fields (north Canberra) accessed from the end of horse park drive. I used to know a few guys who landboarded and buggied up there.

Kiting on the lake is possible, but wind can be gusty and there are quite a few wind shadows about so it isnt recommended if you are a beginner (this is why i have not done it yet as i am only a beginner). Best place i have been told is east basin in a strong westerly wind. There is a decent sized grassed area next to the boat house restaurant (accessed off menindee drive) which would be suitable for setup and launch (again not recommended for beginners).

in my opinion i would only bother trying to kite on lake burley if you really know what you are doing. The wind in Canberra can be quite dangerous, so undertake any kiting with caution.

Polina
3 posts
23 Oct 2013 1:37PM
Thumbs Up

Thank u Maxiy! Yep I know what I'm doing, I'm not a beginner and tried different conditions so should be ok. Looks like a good westerly wind tomorrow early afternoon, will try to get to the east basin, plz write and join if anyones around

Maxiy
ACT, 96 posts
23 Oct 2013 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Glad i could help. I hope the wind is suitable for you tomorrow. One day i will have enough skill and the guts to get out and try it on burley haha.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Girl from Russia in Canberra locations help" started by Polina