Forums > Kitesurfing General

Gnotuk Avenue (Melbourne)

Created by lostinlondon > 9 months ago, 14 Jan 2009
lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
14 Jan 2009 4:34PM
Thumbs Up

Hey guys, just moved back to Melbourne and have started work in Mordialloc. I have been bringing my gear to work with me and heading back up to the beaches closer to the city afterwards, but I see Gnotuk Avenue is an option. Anyone got any advice? Is it busy enough that you can be confident of getting a launch? Seems better to go there than drive for 30 min before being able to get out!

Cheers

foorked
VIC, 152 posts
14 Jan 2009 5:24PM
Thumbs Up

Gnotuk is great, im sure if the winds on people will be kiting there

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
14 Jan 2009 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Lost

Yep Gnotuk is good. The launch site is a bit sketchy for self launching (small beach - lots of hard objects )

I have found the local crew to be really friendly and a launch is usually not a problem. Worth a punt on your way up to the more populated beaches.

Cheers

hookworm
VIC, 600 posts
14 Jan 2009 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

nar gnotuck is crap and all the guy's are big gay leather wearing bikies who love new people. just kidding! awesome spot friendly crew thats always there wind or not.

stanhalen
WA, 187 posts
14 Jan 2009 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

Yep Gnotuk is good. The launch site is a bit sketchy for self launching (small beach - lots of hard objects )

Are you for real junglist? you have got to be joking, how much room do you need.

Some top riders there, yep and always helpful.

flemboyant
VIC, 375 posts
14 Jan 2009 10:30PM
Thumbs Up

bring beer if u go there.... it really helps for your launching/ landing the next session your there

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
14 Jan 2009 10:35PM
Thumbs Up

Cool. thanks for the replies. Went to Brighton this evening, living in Richmond but working down in Mordy, I thought it looked pretty dead onshore at about 4pm so I just headed back towards the city. I will remember the beer. Since the guys are all big gay leather wearing bikies I'm sure I can get away with some Light Ice?

Gorgo
VIC, 4979 posts
15 Jan 2009 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...
... Is it busy enough that you can be confident of getting a launch? ...

Why do you need a launch for?

flemboyant
VIC, 375 posts
15 Jan 2009 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

lostinlondon said...

Cool. thanks for the replies. Went to Brighton this evening, living in Richmond but working down in Mordy, I thought it looked pretty dead onshore at about 4pm so I just headed back towards the city. I will remember the beer. Since the guys are all big gay leather wearing bikies I'm sure I can get away with some Light Ice?

nope

Gorgo
VIC, 4979 posts
15 Jan 2009 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

If you're working at Mordy why not go out at ... Mordy?

lostinlondon
VIC, 1159 posts
16 Jan 2009 3:01PM
Thumbs Up

I was under the impression that Gnotuk Avenue is an accepted spot, otherwise I would walk across Beach road and launch downwind of the pier... but that is probably bad because of the SLSC. Also, its nice to have people around who know what they are doing to help you out if you get in a jam if something goes wrong.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
16 Jan 2009 3:15PM
Thumbs Up

nothing wrong with mordy at all HTFU cross the road and kite...just stay away from the flagged area......... If you are not confident that you can self rescue, launch and land or get yourself out of a jam then dont ...... and head up to Gnotuk...

flemboyant
VIC, 375 posts
17 Jan 2009 12:02PM
Thumbs Up

....just remember.... beer

hookworm
VIC, 600 posts
17 Jan 2009 6:54PM
Thumbs Up

weird population of kiters has exploded at gnotuck know heaps of new faces and everyone seems cool but i'm yet to taste a sweet beer from one of the new riders

junglist
VIC, 701 posts
17 Jan 2009 7:39PM
Thumbs Up

pclarky said...

Are you for real junglist?

No

flemboyant
VIC, 375 posts
17 Jan 2009 9:28PM
Thumbs Up

yep... i had to supply my own today too hook!

clintasawass
VIC, 6 posts
20 Jan 2009 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

IT IS A AWESOME PLACE WITH HEAPS OF GOOD GUYS, BUT WE ALL KNOW WHY HOOK IS PUTTING GNOTUCK ON THE MAP DONT WE HOOK??

clintasawass
VIC, 6 posts
20 Jan 2009 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

hook i would bring a beer down but last time i did i some really strange angry guy came out and i told me that his name was darryl and he lived in kuremburra and that i should not bring beer down because it makes him really really angry

burley
VIC, 132 posts
20 Jan 2009 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

Don't worry Hook, come and kite up at Bonbeach mate. We have a BOTTLE SHOP on the corner. Any new virgins on our beach have to do the walk of bottle o'shop.

hookworm
VIC, 600 posts
20 Jan 2009 9:32PM
Thumbs Up

just did a down winder from boni beach to gnotuck and it was awesome sunny ,windy,heaps of familier faces waving to me and saying hello now i know how alex sanz feels every time he goes kiteing or skiteing at bondi. and yes we do have a very handy little bottle shop on the corner dont we burley, and for those newbi's its located on the nepean hwy bonbeach!

bert77
VIC, 35 posts
21 Jan 2009 3:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hey lostinlondon... I live at Parkdale and go out at Mordy a bit. Water's not always the flattest when it's windy, but does the job. I usually launch in front of the next carpark along from the SLSC where there's a couple of big wooden pylons on the beach. Feel free to PM me...

Cheers, Bert.

clintasawass
VIC, 6 posts
21 Jan 2009 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

gnotuck was good today kiting with the big fella and a couple of other well known ppl but nah wind was no good but always fun down there. Hey hook beers fri arv down Gnotuck?

hookworm
VIC, 600 posts
22 Jan 2009 4:26PM
Thumbs Up

yes beers at gnotuck friday arv for sure just keeep an eye out for the fun police and this is a chance for the newbies to bring a beer and introduce themself that means you darrel

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Gnotuk Avenue (Melbourne)" started by lostinlondon