Forums > Kitesurfing General

Going really big and kite control ??

Created by Lambie > 9 months ago, 17 Feb 2013
Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
17 Feb 2013 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Lately I have been haveing a crack at boosting big time - flying a 10 m Bandit 3 in around 20 knots yesterday and in the surf so had some awesome ramps.

I've been kiteing for a bit over 3 years and am currently riding a 5'8" Kipuna .

Some of the jumps were - um very big !! ie seems that at the top of the jump I was looking srtaight at the bridle of the kite nearest me - lots of altitude for me and some hang time !!

My question is - apart from looping the kite ( Ok I'm 51 so not a young buck!) what is the best plan to make every landing a survivable one ??

Yesterday I landed hard on my left ribs and dont want to do that again - jumped left hand forward and got big height off the wave lip - and hit the apex of the jump and generlly I pull on the front hand to redirect to kite forward and land down wind.. still didnt work out to plan me thinks !!

So I guess I'm trying to find out what I should have done differently in the air to land the jump ? Once you go big there is alot of time to think about the kite -but my mind is always well WTF - now what next!!!!!

I'd love to hear how you guys that jump high fly the kite to make the landings - well just happen!!

Cheers Lambie

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
17 Feb 2013 7:43PM
Thumbs Up

On big jumps the smoothest landings I find are actually done with a downloop before you land. At 51 you just need to give them a go timing is not that difficult. For learning to boost big, keep the wave out of the equation as it can send you into some strange angles.

Sounds like you pulled to early with the extra height and came down too hot

mattyjee
WA, 575 posts
17 Feb 2013 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

You dont necessarily need to loop, but you do need to turn the kite down hard before you land.
Most beginners land jumps and zoom under the kite and it goes slack and crashes.
They correct this by trying to land on an edge, or by not landing pointing directly downwind.

Instead, land pointing in the same direction you are travelling but by turning the kite down just before you land it will drift with you and you wont underrun it.

Moving from this to a downloop is simply pulling the kite a bit harder.

knotwindy
42 posts
18 Feb 2013 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

what they said and
no matter how high you get off the water do not send the kite to land until you are the same hight off the water on the way down. different kites require different timing but it should be the same each time for each kite.
If you are up too long(is that possible?) and have too much time to think and do not want to loop just wiggle the bar back and forth to keep the kite moving slightly so there is tension when you do pull the front hand to land. just timing and practice how far off the water you need to be to pull the front hand. start with double head high and see how it goes...

Plummet
4862 posts
18 Feb 2013 3:20AM
Thumbs Up

Jumping off wave ramps are awesome! but if you time the ramp wrong then if leads to interesting jumps.

Some more tips. More board speed. Go faster. you can stall mid air if you hit a lip to slow and that can lead to a the kite loosing power. more speed means more wind over the kite and more power for a soft landing.

One of my personaly favourites is to let the bar out. come down fast. (letting the bar out speeds the kite up giving more aparent wind). then bar in and hard redirect hard just before landing. when timed well it gives you at nice bit of lift just before landing and a super soft landing.

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
18 Feb 2013 9:20AM
Thumbs Up

As others have mentioned a downloop on the decent os a great way to slow the decent or if not comfortable with that follow plummets advice regarding sheeting in hard just before landing ( about 2-3 m from the water this will give you a little lift just before touchdown.

juggler
VIC, 243 posts
18 Feb 2013 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Yep, loop it! Gives that little uplift, better then swooping kite as that only speeds you up, in fact giving you a harder landing

Every now & then ill do a big Jump, not loop it, stuff up my landing and think to myself why didn't I just loop it!

Gilly3
QLD, 799 posts
18 Feb 2013 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

harry potter said...
As others have mentioned a downloop on the decent os a great way to slow the decent or if not comfortable with that follow plummets advice regarding sheeting in hard just before landing ( about 2-3 m from the water this will give you a little lift just before touchdown.

+1 on what harry said....

I am the same age as you and have been kiting for 2 years. For the last 6 months I have been looping the hell out of both my kites (10m & 12m) it's all about timing, commitment (100%) and practice.

If you haven't done any form of kitelooping before, my advice would be to start with downlooping while doing a carving transition either heelside or toeside. Once you have mastered the downloop, try using it on the descent from one of those massive booooosts!

Pretty soon you will be the master of soft landings, no matter how high you go

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
18 Feb 2013 12:10PM
Thumbs Up

Plus one on the moving of the kite if you dont want to downloop just yet.

Say heading out to sea, send to your left, pull in, near the summit, move to the left again slightly, then right as you descend, followed by what plummett and the others were saying about a redirect...every kite has its own timing.

Me I'm a bit of a pussy when it comes to insane height, and follow the above..only on meduim days do I downloop just in case i get it wrong. I need to work on that!

The kite I use lands so soft anyhow with a huge horizontal float near the surface of the water just by redirecting. But say the VX i Used to use, it demanded a down loop or else...so depends on the kite you are using.

Another thing to consider, when you jump, keep your shoulders intially pointing in the direction of travel, rather than follow the kite up on its ascent...reduces the over rotation potential of the body in flight, where you can lose your orientation.

like this...

Christ did I just embed this video? Howd that happen?

HaydenDekker
54 posts
18 Feb 2013 12:23PM
Thumbs Up

I went down to Sandy Point this past weekend which had a great 25 kn E most of the weekend.

My girlfriend got out the camera and shot this footage.

As you can see I just send the kite to 2 o'clock and leave it there until I'm about to land. But yes next few kite sessions I'm dedicating to kite loops.

I can do unhooked kiteloops because I'm forced to complete the loop but I haven't been able to pull the full loop hooked yet. I just hit the water hard the first three times I tried it.

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
18 Feb 2013 4:01PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for tips guys, Plummet I ususally hold the bar in so i guess I should try your suggestion of sheeting out in the decent then I sheet back in just before touch down. Eppo - I couldnt get my head around your response re sending the kite left then realised the west coast difference LOL - over here on the east coast when heading out to sea we send the kite back to the right ( the sun setting over the ocean is also just weird!!) HaydenD - yeah Sandy point's a nice spot and your vid is great but your girlfriend chopped off the kite in all of the jumps so kite movement is kind of obscured.
I do downloop carve transitions now so the question is how much faster is the landing speed when looping the kite in a big jump (thats the bit that scares me!!) again thanks for the comments so far - BTW no one over this way (Gippsland that is) is looping kites so I havent got anyone to follow!!

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
18 Feb 2013 3:12PM
Thumbs Up

Okay turn it around and head back to shore and it works...lol..sorry should have read where ya kiting.

So you can do a downloop carve gybe thingy...well...that's it to start from.

Try this...Going out to sea, do a jump...not huge and you know you can transition by after the kite goes left for the original jump, move to the right across the window and back left (I'm on your side of the country here) and land going the other way...

well instead...as you bring the kite right, keep it going right and hard...forward (front hand) loop it.

Once you got this, then practise down and forward looping it with small jumps heading in the same direction. Get bigger until you are down or forward looping high enough to get this kite all the way around.

That's how I learnt anyhow.

Coral Sea
QLD, 476 posts
18 Feb 2013 5:39PM
Thumbs Up

The kite technique for control and float on really big jumps varies a bit depending on the wind strength and kite size, you can either use "flat loops" (where the plane of the loop is closer to horizontal than vertical), or just use the "wiggle" as others have mentioned, to keep the kite lines tensioned and the kite roughly over your head.

For bigger kites (12m-10m) you probably want to use the wiggle. Check this video of Mark Shinn on a 12m crossbow in 20-25knots to get an idea of the technique:

Like everything in kiting, the trick is the timing, you want to end your float wiggle with the kite a little aft of your position, so that you can redirect forward for your landing at the right time. Shinn nails it in that video.

When on smaller kites (9m-7m) in strong winds 25-35 knots the kite will whip through the loop fast enough to make it a viable option for generating lift at the apex of the jump. The classic demo of this was Jesse Richmond in San Francisco a few years back looping a switchblade 7 times in a row for a hang time over 30 seconds. Note these are flat loops or helicopter loops with the kite staying as flat as possible, not mega-loops like you see Lenten and others doing.

The snow kite videos often give a great example of this, as the crew are getting massive hangtime as they boost off the side of the hill, using the kiteloops to get the float. Have a look at Chasta here in Tahiti on one of the earliest Ozone kites, he throws a downloop at the end of nearly every big jump, especially near 2.10 and 3.30.

Hope that helps!

JohnB75
9 posts
20 Feb 2013 4:22AM
Thumbs Up

Downloops and not going particularly big this day

A lot colder here in Scotland than what you pussies get out there

Gilly3
QLD, 799 posts
20 Feb 2013 6:42AM
Thumbs Up

^^^^ Great footage John!!!
What sort of camera mount are you using?
Been using my camera on a helmet mount but found it is too shaky....

JohnB75
9 posts
20 Feb 2013 6:06AM
Thumbs Up

I binned the GoPro HD2 for a Contour Roam 2 without the case on one of there sticky mounts. A much better camera for kiting IMO.

Full review here: kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfing/controur-roam2-camera-review-55339

dorothyinste
QLD, 453 posts
20 Feb 2013 8:54AM
Thumbs Up

JohnB75 said...

A lot colder here in Scotland than what you pussies get out there

Nice footage.
Call me a pussy, but i love kiting in just board shorts, clean, clear, and warm water.

eppo
WA, 9496 posts
20 Feb 2013 7:14AM
Thumbs Up

Nothing like a warm happy pussy.

Lambie
QLD, 739 posts
20 Feb 2013 10:03PM
Thumbs Up

Oi - Scotland - nice but that looks too effing cold !!!! again as with most vids that show people jumping you really cant see what happens with the kite - but its one of the better ones!! As for the vid of the "he throws a downloop at the end of nearly every big jump, especially near 2.10 and 3.30." - yes that is some good guidance - I just need to pull the pin it seems!!

I think I might start a new thread about the value of impact vests - ie do they work to stop bruised or broken ribs - or are they just to protect the ego! LOL

JohnB75
9 posts
20 Feb 2013 10:12PM
Thumbs Up

Lambie said...
Oi - Scotland - nice but that looks too effing cold !!!! again as with most vids that show people jumping you really cant see what happens with the kite - but its one of the better ones!!

Watch what I'm doing with the bar - you don't look at the kite and look where you are going. This is why a kite with good feedback and feel is important when boosting.

As I ride C kites I geneally use the whip of the kite and when I'm in the air my kite will be out at 2 or even 3 O'Clock on the way up and I bring it back overhead as I reach the zenith and then throw the downloop just before landing. On My 7m I might fly the kite from 1 to 2 overhead when really big.

All too often people jump then bring the kite overhead to 12 with it sheeted in fully - the kite will not be moving forwards like this and may even possibly be stalling so you are going to drop like a sack of ****. Depower kites with float have ruined technique as people expect to just move the kite minimally, sheet in and jump without really tensioning the lines or releasing and edge (or fins) - in strong enough winds and off waves they might occaisionally get decent height but won't have enough forward speed to land and ride out smoothly.

Going big is about speed and control and kites with feel will let you do this - if you have to look at your kite to know what it is doing then you are ****ed!

Minus 2 cycling to work this morning and my face felt like I had a stroke - enjoy the wind and sunshine for me you bastards!

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"Going really big and kite control ??" started by Lambie